PDA

View Full Version : Retail vs. Steam

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Kain
05-26-10, 09:39 AM
Generally, which "format" do you prefer to buy your PC games?

One more thing! Is it true that once you install and use any recent PC game, you cannot sell it because the key has been used?

six_storm
05-26-10, 09:42 AM
Steam. Less crap in my house and I can install/uninstall as many times as I want.

nekrosoft13
05-26-10, 09:43 AM
Steam. Less crap in my house and I can install/uninstall as many times as I want.

ok, but some games still have activation limits.

grey_1
05-26-10, 09:58 AM
I'll usually go for whatever has the best price. If they are both the same, then I'll get it off steam.

NarcissistZero
05-26-10, 10:14 AM

What does Steam have to do with the latter part of that? They have activation DRM on Steam as well, in many cases when the retail copy does not like Risen and Batman: AA.

Anyway, I prefer retail. Steam is very convenient, but you pay for that convenience with extra DRM and an annoying client, which is not appealing to me. If a game is Steamworks I don't avoid it, and for multiplayer games I actually like Steamworks, but for a non-Steamworks game I don't see why I should pay the same amount of money for more DRM, more hassles and less product (i.e. no packaging, manual or perhaps extras).

Plus on principle I feel like people are throwing consumer rights out the window for the convenience of downloading things from home, be it games on Steam or movies on iTunes, and I dislike the road that is leading us down. One day we will own nothing, ever, and everything will be streamed and service-based, and people who support Steam and iTunes and other such things are paving the way for that. I don't want to be a part of it when I don't have to be.

Lfctony
05-26-10, 10:15 AM
Retail. The 50-100% extra that you pay when buying from Steam... MEH!!!

NarcissistZero
05-26-10, 10:21 AM
Retail. The 50-100% extra that you pay when buying from Steam... MEH!!!

True, cost on Steam is actually higher most of the time, even in the US. Steam may have weekend deals that are nice, but so does Gogamer and Amazon, and on new titles amazon often sells at much lower prices, often with $10 gift certificates toward your next purchase.

On Alpha Protocol I got the game for $6 off when I pre-ordered it, which is $44. Then I got a $10 gift certificate for amazon.com with purchase, which makes it $34. I get free release-day shipping as an amazon prime member as well, and anyone can get free shipping of the 3-5 day delivery variety.

Steam wants the full $50.

So, $34 versus $50, and the cheaper copy gets packaging and a disc, so you don't have to download it all or burn a backup, and also you are supporting point of sale rights for consumers, rather than account-based ownership.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

ViN86
05-26-10, 10:22 AM
Steam. No CD's, no keys to worry about, and I can access/install my games anywhere and on any of my machines even if I forget to bring the disc with me. (I shuttle back and forth between Boston and Albany often)

Anyway, I prefer retail. Steam is very convenient, but you pay for that convenience with extra DRM and an annoying client, which is not appealing to me. If a game is Steamworks I don't avoid it, and for multiplayer games I actually like Steamworks, but for a non-Steamworks game I don't see why I should pay the same amount of money for more DRM, more hassles and less product (i.e. no packaging, manual or perhaps extras).

When you never play online I can see how you would find the client annoying. But I use the client to connect with friends and chat. Also the overlay in game is extremely convenient, but that can be used with any game.

six_storm
05-26-10, 10:24 AM
ok, but some games still have activation limits.

The only games I have with activation limits blow, so I've installed once, played and uninstalled. ;)

|MaguS|
05-26-10, 10:25 AM
Steam. No CD's, no keys to worry about, and I can access/install my games anywhere and on any of my machines even if I forget to bring the disc with me. (I shuttle back and forth between Boston and Albany often)

When you never play online I can see how you would find the client annoying. But I use the client to connect with friends and chat. Also the overlay in game is extremely convenient, but that can be used with any game.

Yup, I love steam. I rather have the "annoying" client over a physical media.

WeReWoLf
05-26-10, 11:16 AM
steam for me, because in most cases, the games are cheaper than in stores.

Yaboze
05-26-10, 11:22 AM
A mix of both, depending on price and such. I like the no-cd thing, but sometimes the prices are full MSRP on Steam and discounted elsewhere.

Toss3
05-26-10, 11:31 AM
I like a combination of both. :) Hate games that force you to have the disc in your drive while playing, but like having the retail box.

Bman212121
05-26-10, 11:41 AM
Retail. I like to be able to lend games to other people. Steam you can only access the game from the account you installed it with.

GIGARAM
05-26-10, 11:52 AM
steam FTW!!!!!! i have over 200 games including ps3 and xbox 360, so if its out on steam i will get it.
ive started selling some of my pc games and replacing them with the ones from steam
convenience plus less clutter = :-)

Kain
05-26-10, 01:13 PM
One more thing! Is it true that once you install and use any recent PC game, you cannot sell it because the key has been used? ? :(

Toss3
05-26-10, 01:16 PM
? :(

Only true for certain games.

nekrosoft13
05-26-10, 01:52 PM
yap, publishers want to kill used game market and game rental.

they started doing the same on console games, new console games come with a key that only original owner can use to access multiplayer, if you buy used games you get no multiplayer and have to pay extra to get online access.

this will eventually kill used game market.

Kain
05-26-10, 02:22 PM
If I search for Crysis on Steam, it says "5 machine activation limit." What does this mean? If I install the game, format my computer, and try to reinstall, I'll have 4 installs left?

Bman212121
05-26-10, 02:25 PM
yap, publishers want to kill used game market and game rental.

they started doing the same on console games, new console games come with a key that only original owner can use to access multiplayer, if you buy used games you get no multiplayer and have to pay extra to get online access.

this will eventually kill used game market.

Oh wow which games have keys now? I haven't seen one of those yet.

bob saget
05-26-10, 02:32 PM
Mix of both, but glad I got BFBC2 from retail.

nekrosoft13
05-26-10, 02:41 PM
Oh wow which games have keys now? I haven't seen one of those yet.

started with tiger woods golf, then more EA sports will follow
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150838

and other publishers will start doing the same thing
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151218

Sean_W
05-26-10, 02:47 PM
Retail.

Tesco is about 15 minutes walk from my house and they tend to be cheaper anyway. I picked up Just Cause 2 for 24.98. Ironically, it's a Steam game but that's fine by me and it doesn't do the DVD check.

Steam prices are higher than the retail from what I can see, so I just stick to retail anyway.

A2597
05-26-10, 02:49 PM
Steam, weekend deals are my bane. haha.

Tym
05-26-10, 02:52 PM
I've been using Steam exclusively for several years now. Prices may be higher than retail for US/UK/AU residents, but for me this means the ability to get original language versions instantly (previously, I had to import games and wait a week or two for them to ship, as local stores only have localized versions in most cases).