PDA

View Full Version : Intel tells users: you don't need future-proof GPUs

News
05-26-10, 05:00 PM
More... (http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/everything/~3/HM4tKLMiL3I/intel-tells-users-you-dont-need-future-proof-gpus.ars)

ViN86
05-26-10, 07:30 PM
Intel just tries to justify not doing whatever they can't do.

Makes you wonder how successful ATI or nVidia would be if they decided to tackle CPU's for a change.

But the way things are going, looks like that will be coming to them instead of vice versa (i.e. GPU's being treated more like CPU's).

Viral
05-26-10, 08:04 PM
Heh, really? I was thinking more along the lines of I don't need a future-proof CPU.

MUYA
05-26-10, 09:17 PM
Heh, really? I was thinking more along the lines of I don't need a future-proof CPU.

What is future proof anything in terms of computer hardware. Everything we purchase becomes obsolete in a few weeks lol! :)

grey_1
05-26-10, 09:51 PM
User tells Intel "Yes I do."

:p

Zelda_fan
05-26-10, 10:41 PM
Makes you wonder how successful ATI or nVidia would be if they decided to tackle CPU's for a change.

ATI-AMD currently does. They're getting owned.

v3rninater
05-26-10, 11:25 PM
Um, how is AMD getting owned!? Don't they own the bargain bin hardware side of the game? Especially now that the 6 cores are out, the quads are gonna be a STEAL, heck I might just build another computer for mom!

Another dumb statement from Intel, sure I can crap butter and serve it to you saying "it's butter". But you will know and most likely smell the difference.

Zelda_fan
05-27-10, 12:36 AM
Um, how is AMD getting owned!? Don't they own the bargain bin hardware side of the game? Especially now that the 6 cores are out, the quads are gonna be a STEAL, heck I might just build another computer for mom!

Take a look at their stock. They are getting owned.

Intel17
05-27-10, 02:41 AM
Well this is why I won't buy an Intel GPU...:P

nVidia and ATI are more than willing to sell me a future-proof GPU :)

Toss3
05-27-10, 07:34 AM

That's like saying Microsoft is getting owned because Apple is worth more. Stocks aren't telling the whole truth.

AMD is doing just fine. :)

v3rninater
05-27-10, 07:37 AM

Ah, it seems that their stock is slowly rising in 1.5 years, since they hit rock bottom in 08'.

So I don't know what rock you crawled under, but they are coming back pretty steady.

If you notice, the stock tanked up until November 08' then started to rise slowly. Notice the low point (1.82 stock price in Nov 08') and then where it is today (8.22). How are they getting owned again?

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3838/amdstock.th.jpg (http://img156.imageshack.us/i/amdstock.jpg/)

ViN86
05-27-10, 02:49 PM

That's not the same. Developing a new CPU is not the same as buying a CPU company.

Besides, in terms of performance, yes AMD is losing, but in terms of performance to price, AMD holds its own very nicely.

Intel17
05-27-10, 03:08 PM
That's like saying Microsoft is getting owned because Apple is worth more. Stocks aren't telling the whole truth.

AMD is doing just fine. :)

Microsoft's market cap is still higher, though...

onmikesline
05-27-10, 04:29 PM

i dont think you know much in life do you?