PDA

View Full Version : I'm new...

geosoft
07-21-03, 02:52 AM
Hi!
finaly... after two days (install and re-install linux and nvidia drivers... configuring XFree86) my tuxracer and cronium works wonderful... but... I want more games for linux. Where can I get more games for linux?

ps: sorry for my english and thanks in advance...

Edge
07-21-03, 07:35 AM
Unfortunatly, Linux games are fairly rare. Ever since Loki Games died there hasn't really been any big group that ports them. However, with a program called Wine you can play most Windows games on Linux. It works ok most of the time from what I've heard. Here's a link:

http://www.winehq.com

Not sure how to set it up or anything, you'll have to figure that out yourself.

saturnotaku
07-21-03, 07:48 AM
And even those games which do exist for Linux are pretty old (ie Quake 3, Unreal Tournament). The only fairly recent game I know of that had the ability to install and play under Linux is Unreal Tournament 2003.

Wine is a good idea, but remember since Wine is essentially an emulator you'll find it to only work well for old games. Don't expect to buy Half-Life 2 and be able to use Wine with it and get any kind of decent performance.

Edge
07-21-03, 12:03 PM
Actually, I was under the impression that WINE is more of just a wrapper (like a Glide wrapper for D3D cards). It's compatability list is very high, and quite a few new titles are supported as well. But as I said I don't have much first-hand experience, so it could end up being garbage, but from what I hear it works pretty good even for fairly recent games.

saturnotaku
07-21-03, 01:24 PM
I guess "emulator" wasn't exactly the right term. I was thinking more along the lines of Wine using OpenGL to emulate Direct3D games. ;)

I'm not entirely sure how true this is now, but I've heard that Wine can be a royal pain to get configured correctly. But that was a while ago and I'm sure it's improved a lot since then. And once it is up and running it can be pretty good, depending on what games you're running. Obviously the most popular titles (Half-Life, et al) will have the best performance and compatibility.

This is why even if you're just a casual gamer, it's a good idea to have a dual boot between Linux and Windows going.

geosoft
07-22-03, 03:41 AM
I'm not looking specially for new games... like Half Life2 etc.
I' using winex instead of winehq version.
The winex can be downloaded from http://www.transgaming.com/. There is a list of games that they work fine with winex (version3). I'm still searching for games written specifically for the Linux OS.

ps: soory again for my bad english

saturnotaku
07-22-03, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by geosoft
There is a list of games that they work fine with winex (version3). I'm still searching for games written specifically for the Linux OS.

In that case then, you're pretty much going to be limited to Quake 3, Unreal Tournament (if you can find Loki's renderer) and Unreal Tournament 2003. And most of those games are simply ports of the Windows versions. Heck, in order to get even these games to run you need the Windows installation CDs.

The only other games that might be specifically written for Linux are simple solitaire and puzzle games. Other than that you're pretty much SOL. Like I said before, this is why it's a good idea to dual boot. :)

volt
07-22-03, 09:07 AM
RTCW and RTCW:ET, works beautifully :)