PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Kev Payne
07-21-03, 03:32 AM
Is anyone else playing this game? It freaking rocks, nothing like a good Star Wars RPG and the most powerful gaming console available.

StealthHawk
07-21-03, 03:43 AM
Waiting for it on PC :D

Dark Jedi
07-21-03, 08:40 AM
I'll second that... it'll play SO much better on PC. Only Microsoft's intervention prevented it coming to PC first (bah M$ :mad: )

Sazar
07-21-03, 09:22 AM
I woulda thunk it would obviously be easier to release it on a console first...

:)

its easier to program too and piracy issues are less prevalent as well... works all round if you ask me :)

I may get it on either... KOTOR is getting good buzz in xbox forums... I may not wait too long :)

but I am not a big fan of xbox live @ the moment...

Dark Jedi
07-21-03, 10:28 AM
Since it's the Xbox, I would have thought so... :rolleyes:

Bioware's roots lie in PC development, so I'd hope they work hard on the PC version and not just give us a lazy port over like some companies do... (Rallisport Challenge and Splinter Cell being exceptions, I think?)

Gargr
07-21-03, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Dark Jedi
Since it's the Xbox, I would have thought so... :rolleyes:

Bioware's roots lie in PC development, so I'd hope they work hard on the PC version and not just give us a lazy port over like some companies do... (Rallisport Challenge and Splinter Cell being exceptions, I think?)

I smell another Pirates of the Caribbean :(

nVidi0t
07-21-03, 02:31 PM
I'm having trouble getting hold of a copy (X-Box) :mad: :mad: :mad:

Does anyone know where I can order PAL games from a place which ships international? By international I mean not to the UK or US. Amazon.co.uk ship internation but it's just my luck that they only dont ship GAMES international.

Kev Payne
07-21-03, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by nVidi0t
I'm having trouble getting hold of a copy (X-Box) :mad: :mad: :mad:

Does anyone know where I can order PAL games from a place which ships international? By international I mean not to the UK or US. Amazon.co.uk ship internation but it's just my luck that they only dont ship GAMES international.

maybe Gamestop.com can ship to you.

and this game friggin rocks it was meant for XBOX, it will be crap on PC, you'll look at it and go "this is a console game". I hate it when they take good Console games and port them to pc, sure pc gamers deserve great games, but at what expense? If the game isnt going to hold its value on seperate platforms then don't port them.

PenguinJim
07-21-03, 03:02 PM
I think it would make more sense for the PC version to be released first, but I'm glad they didn't...

If a PC version came out first, they can fix bugs and any major gameplay grievances through patches on the PC, and also work them into the console version still in development. Once a console version is completed, then they can't patch it (or can they? Would the PCish architecture of the XBox not make it possible to release patches for games? Ah, they probably wouldn't bother anyway). IMO when the console version comes out significantly earlier, it's to see an early return on their investment. Console games make more profit than PC games anyway...

Of course, it's possible that the PC version is finished, and they're just testing it with every hardware combination they can get their hands on... but I think not :).

Kev Payne
07-21-03, 03:11 PM
Thats my only problem with PC gaming, you have to meet the "Minimum" requirements to start the game up and the then meet the "Recommended" requirements to actually play th game at as descent frame rate.

Dark Jedi
07-21-03, 03:12 PM
I think there are a couple of updates available via Xbox Live for a couple of games (Unreal Championship & Splinter Cell spring to mind. Bah that they get an extra level...)

KOTOR was always planned for the PC... it just got pushed back because of the Xbox deal done by Microsoft.

It'll work better on PC because of keyboard and mouse control, I feel... or I am wrong?

Sazar
07-21-03, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Dark Jedi
I think there are a couple of updates available via Xbox Live for a couple of games (Unreal Championship & Splinter Cell spring to mind. Bah that they get an extra level...)

KOTOR was always planned for the PC... it just got pushed back because of the Xbox deal done by Microsoft.

It'll work better on PC because of keyboard and mouse control, I feel... or I am wrong?

-edit- info was incorrect so I edited :D

www.ebgames.com has kotor.. least when I went there it did..

PenguinJim
07-21-03, 05:45 PM
I thought it was a single player RPG? And the fights are turn based, with moves stacked in a queue, from what I've read.

Sounds like an ace game from the reviews :D

Kev Payne
07-21-03, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
its basically a mmorpg... the fights are conducted real time aFAIK...

Nope, its Single player, not 1 ioda of multiplayer in this game (unless you count switching between party members :D ).

The fights ARE turn based and are stacked in a que when you select them, but the fights are still fast and furious.

Trust me on this, since I have it and im playing it.
:D

Sazar
07-21-03, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Kev Payne
Nope, its Single player, not 1 ioda of multiplayer in this game (unless you count switching between party members :D ).

The fights ARE turn based and are stacked in a que when you select them, but the fights are still fast and furious.

Trust me on this, since I have it and im playing it.
:D

no xbox live ?

I was going by what I recall from the reviewers... :)

they said it was like galaxies on a smaller scale.. and that uptill the battles it was turn based and then you fought in real time...

bleh... keep me posted as to how much you like it :)

Kev Payne
07-21-03, 07:56 PM
Well it is XBOX live enabled meaning that they will have extra content for download, only BIOWARE knows what that will be.

The fighting is fast and managing your group can be a challenge at time to make sure your party members do NOT die. But it IS turn based fighting. The game IS single player.

I am not normally into RPG's but this one is an all out blast because of the familiarity with the Star Wars Universe.

Im about 9h 30m into the game and its great, totally entertaining and engrossing, keeps you locked into the story all the way through.

If you have an XBOX I would recommend picking this one up, its well worth the money and a great addition to anyones collection.

StealthHawk
07-21-03, 08:21 PM
and this game friggin rocks it was meant for XBOX, it will be crap on PC, you'll look at it and go "this is a console game". I hate it when they take good Console games and port them to pc, sure pc gamers deserve great games, but at what expense? If the game isnt going to hold its value on seperate platforms then don't port them.

I'm not sure I understand, as KOTOR was originally going to be a PC game. I remember hearing about this game a looooong time ago. Isn't it like Baldur's Gate?

The Baron
07-21-03, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
I'm not sure I understand, as KOTOR was originally going to be a PC game. I remember hearing about this game a looooong time ago. Isn't it like Baldur's Gate?
Think Star Wars NWN. Or Baldur's Gate.

Tempted to buy it for PC when it's released...

Kev Payne
07-21-03, 08:43 PM
Exactley, think NWN. But 3rd person like Max Payne or something.

nVidi0t
07-21-03, 11:34 PM
maybe Gamestop.com can ship to you.

They order international, but since it's US based the games they ship must be NTSC. I bought a PAL X-Box and since I moved abroad I have had so much trouble getting hold of games which work. I also cant use a mod chip to covert it to a multisystem because I have a newer version of the Xbox which is Chinese made.

I know what you mean about console - PC ports. Just like MGS2, it lost it's whole flair on PC. But there were games like VIce City which turned out better. Developers are just under a lot of pressure to make the game available on all platforms from Publishers, Fans etc.