PDA

View Full Version : EVGA X58 series audio quality

Yaboze
05-28-10, 11:42 AM
I am using a X-Fi now and having some minor issues, I was wondering how the onboard is. I will have to ditch the card if I go SLI anyway, most likely.

nekrosoft13
05-28-10, 11:58 AM
onboard is a standard Realtek, just like most boards got, nothing really special

Yaboze
05-28-10, 01:44 PM
No offense, but this really doesn't help me. Is it good or not?

methimpikehoses
05-28-10, 01:46 PM
I've never had a soundcard, and never had need for one. x58 is good enuf.

bob saget
05-28-10, 01:50 PM
I've also never had a soundcard. they are pretty cheap though, especially secondhand. music and games sound fine for me. i guess to have music playing in 5.1 i need a soundcard, but 2.1 for music is fine.

nekrosoft13
05-28-10, 02:10 PM
No offense, but this really doesn't help me. Is it good or not?

depends on your definition of good.

1) its no better then any other motherboard, realtek chips are pretty much standard on board now
2) it is worse then some boards, that have xfi chips

sound quality also depends on speakers, as well realtek 3dback utility is lacking compared to alchemy or even asus emulation.

i guess the answer you are looking for, its ok if you have ****ty speakers and are slightly deaf.

Madpistol
05-28-10, 02:28 PM
A sound card always sounds better than onboard. It's a completely subjective topic, but if you listen to music or game audio with a nice set of speakers or headphones, the difference in clarity will be glaringly obvious.

Raptorman
05-28-10, 04:17 PM
I switched to my onbard audio on my EVGA X58 and it is just fine. I was using a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic.

One thing I did notice is that with the Realtek my audio doesn't cut out in ArmA during a lot of combat like it did with the X-Fi.

FlakMagnet
05-29-10, 09:57 AM
A sound card always sounds better than onboard. It's a completely subjective topic, but if you listen to music or game audio with a nice set of speakers or headphones, the difference in clarity will be glaringly obvious.

+1

I don't know why the others are saying onboard is fine. Compared to my X-Fi, the onboard audio just seems flat and tinny. I was forced to use my onboard audio while I tested out dual GPU cards (my X-Fi didn't fit with both graphics cards installed). I noticed the difference immediately and was one of the main reasons I reverted to a single GPU card.

I guess it's all subjective though :|