PDA

View Full Version : Need new speakers

ArrowMk84
05-30-10, 11:55 AM
My old 5.1 speaker setup is starting to die, with random pops, static and sequels, and I need recommendations for a replacement.

My current speakers are Klipsch Pro Media 5.1s, and they've lasted nearly seven years, but to my knowledge they don't make them any more. I'd like to get another 5.1 set, but from previous experience Logitech speakers have a habit of dying after a couple of years. Creative's speakers haven't impressed me either. Are there any other brands I should look at? What about a home-theater-in-box setup? Any catches with getting one of those?

LovingSticky
05-30-10, 12:26 PM
Bowers and Wilkins MM-1. Not 5.1, rather 2.0, but you will hardly find better sounding computer speaker.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4503

Madpistol
05-30-10, 01:10 PM
What's your budget? If it's high enough, a home-theater-in-a-box setup may be a great option. :)

Toss3
05-30-10, 01:21 PM
My old 5.1 speaker setup is starting to die, with random pops, static and sequels, and I need recommendations for a replacement.

My current speakers are Klipsch Pro Media 5.1s, and they've lasted nearly seven years, but to my knowledge they don't make them any more. I'd like to get another 5.1 set, but from previous experience Logitech speakers have a habit of dying after a couple of years. Creative's speakers haven't impressed me either. Are there any other brands I should look at? What about a home-theater-in-box setup? Any catches with getting one of those?

Just get a couple of active speakers. :) Decent 2.0 >>>> Crappy 5.1.

onmikesline
05-30-10, 01:33 PM
i have this. worth every penny. dont need 5.1.you will hear it behind you with this.definitely lives up to the reputation.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836166005

Maverick123w
05-30-10, 02:01 PM

Don't tell that to my 2.1 set that has been going since 2004.

ArrowMk84
05-30-10, 02:47 PM
What's your budget? If it's high enough, a home-theater-in-a-box setup may be a great option. :)

Home theater in a box is within my budget. I'll buy whatever is reasonable (meaning I'm not going to spend $400 on some wooden knob like some Audiophiles (cough nutjobs cough) do, but I'm more than willing to shell out for a good 5.1 setup). Can you recommend any brands? Right now I'm thinking about Yamaha or Onkyo (my TV has Polk speakers and sub with a Denon receiver, which is a little too pricey and too powerful sitting on a computer desk).

LovingSticky: The five Polk speakers I bought for my TV years ago cost that much, and they sound damn good. $500 for two speakers is a little much, especially for the room they'll be in.

Toss3: And good 5.1 beats decent 2.0 :)

onmikesline: Err, I'm not a fan of Bose.

Maverick123w: You lucky punk... I love Logitech products, but I've never had a set of their speakers last all too long.

enoteware
05-30-10, 05:04 PM
Z5500 from logitech, you can usually find them for under $300 and they're incredible, that is if you don't mind going Logitech again :/

CaptNKILL
05-30-10, 05:47 PM
If I were buying a new system with sound quality in mind I'd definitely be looking at receivers and stand alone speakers.

The range of sound you get from decent sized speakers totally blow away anything you get from a system that uses 3" mids and a sub woofer.

It'll be more expensive and take up more space but it should last longer and sound far better.

That said, my Z-5500 set from Logitech is good for what it is.

a12ctic
05-30-10, 08:01 PM
I have some audioengine a2's. For 200$ they're really ****ing nice.

nekrosoft13
05-30-10, 08:07 PM
i also have Z-5500, but for the computer if i was to replace them I would get a Onkyo Receiver and speakers

Madpistol
05-30-10, 09:48 PM
ONKYO HT-S3300 Home Theater in a Box (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120167)

That one sounds like a great setup. If you're looking for a HT in a box, this sounds like the perfect fit.

Maverick123w
05-31-10, 12:01 AM
ONKYO HT-S3300 Home Theater in a Box (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120167)

That one sounds like a great setup. If you're looking for a HT in a box, this sounds like the perfect fit.

If I end up getting a home b4 the end of the year I may just have to retire my logitechs :captnkill:

onmikesline
05-31-10, 12:05 AM
having a living room speakers i think is over kill lol

Redeemed
05-31-10, 12:09 AM
having a living room speakers i think is over kill lol

How so?

crainger
05-31-10, 02:39 AM
Well if you have a smallish home office, living room speakers take up to much space and will never be utilised to their full potentate, better to save the cash and spend on something else. But if you're home office is all you have in terms of HT, then might as well eh? :;):

I myself just have my Z-680s for PC, and have spent more on my HT which is my primary spot for TV/BD/DVD.

WeReWoLf
05-31-10, 03:49 AM
I use my Z5500's for my HT and my PC speakers... Mainly coz my Gaming Rig is attatched to my TV lol

Viral
05-31-10, 06:58 AM
I have Z-5500 and they're still going good besides the backlite on the control display dying around a year back. Had Z-680's before that and the only real difference is the ability to actually control the bass on the 5500's... the 680's were stupid, the sub was too loud for most situations on the lowest setting, and just distorted at anything above 1/3rd.

If I were to go something new I'd be looking at some active speakers of a half decent size like these:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=567_895&products_id=12298

I have no need for 5.1 on my PC and don't even have my center speaker connected so two bigger speakers and maybe the optional 8" sub would do me well for music.

LovingSticky
05-31-10, 08:58 AM
LovingSticky: The five Polk speakers I bought for my TV years ago cost that much, and they sound damn good. $500 for two speakers is a little much, especially for the room they'll be in.

I understand. But if you have such a possibility, do try them (Bowers and Wilkins MM-1). They are impossible not to buy after listening to them :)

Btw, Z-5500 have a really crappy sound, if you compare them side-by-side with MM-1. It might be a matter of preference, but great stereo sound is so much better than crappy surround one. For US$ 500 you can get great stereo, but not great 5.1 setup.

ArrowMk84
05-31-10, 10:37 AM
I went ahead and ordered the Audioengine A5 and the companion subwoofer from Amazon. It will be interesting gaming with a stereo system again (the X-Fi should compensate for that), but hopefully the music will sound better and I'll get some desk space back.

Now I just have to rewire the crap under my desk. Anybody else notice that cable organizers don't?

JasonPC
05-31-10, 12:00 PM
My Z-5500 have been reliable so far. It was hard to beat the price I got on them. You're hard pressed to find them as cheap as I got them in 2007. If quality is what you want a good 2.1 system with a receiver can probably be had for under $400.

Aphot
05-31-10, 08:01 PM
I would recommend a good stereo system with full range tower speakers and an integrated or power amp.

What I'm using, Sansui as a power amp.