PDA

View Full Version : Am I good with Avast Free antivirus edition?

HiCZoK4
06-01-10, 05:15 PM
It seems to be doing ok. Updating definitions everyday and the background protection etc is on.

Do I really need anything? I dont care for this pc but wouldnt get anything like "Jeefo" which I got year ago undetected from my dad pc(he completly ignored avast warnings:headexplode:) to my gaming rig on pendrive and it messed up all my .exe and installs... had too format so I am protecting myself now:lol

And what about ads? Do I really need anything? Becouse I see polish ads even on gametrailers site etc...

Overall. am I "at least a bit safe" ?

Redeemed
06-01-10, 05:34 PM
My favorite amongst the free software is Microsoft Security Essentials. Ranks reall high from the reviews I've read as well.

However, I always purchase software... not sure if programs such as Norton 360 are really better than the free ones... I'd assume so since Symantec is taking my money in return for them protecting my rig.

Q
06-01-10, 06:35 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials is what you should be running if you're looking for free. The best part of it is that it will update with Windows Automatic Updates as long as you have those configured. No user intervention required.

If you're going to pay, go with NOD32 or Kaspersky. I run Symantec only on my servers - and only because it has a decent track record in that environment. Then again, I'm not web browsing in IE6 on them either. For a tech savvy person, MSE is more than adequate. If you downloading PRAWNS and other crap, you might want to look into NOD32 because it will actually monitor your browser and prevent crap from ever being downloaded. Not as seamlessly integrated as MSE, but it might be good for your dad.

If you want your PC to be safe, run online with a browser like Firefox and plugins like NoScript/Flashblock/Adblock+.

mullet
06-10-10, 04:37 PM
My favorite amongst the free software is Microsoft Security Essentials. Ranks reall high from the reviews I've read as well.

However, I always purchase software... not sure if programs such as Norton 360 are really better than the free ones... I'd assume so since Symantec is taking my money in return for them protecting my rig.

six_storm
06-13-10, 12:33 PM
MSE is going to be your best bet for free AV. I personally don't see the point in buying AV (might as well give me the money instead). Just find one that does a good job at protecting you and one that doesn't hog your machine resources.

corrine4
06-15-10, 02:39 PM
a free antivirus (http://www.trustdownload.com/Antivirus-and-Spyware-Cleaners/Antivirus/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-7.0.html) will make it for the moment, but make sure you keep it activated and updated.

Quick420
06-16-10, 09:40 AM
I've been using avast free for over a year and it seems to be working,keeping in mind I still use XP.It updates almost daily it seems and catches 'naughty' websites very quickly.It scans e-mail instantly.I am very happy with it,and if a customer wants me to add anti-virus/malware I always suggest this as an excellent free option.In short.....keep using avast.

wheeljack12
06-26-10, 05:56 PM
I used avast in the past for free antivirus protection until I went to
www.toptenreviews.com. They placed avg's antivirus ahead of it. Until I got NIS 2010 recently (got 3 pc deal for $40cdn! for a year!), I was using avg free antivirus. The only drawback there is no email or phone support, but they do have message boards to discuss with I would think be avg tech's. free.avg.com

aggy100
09-02-10, 02:13 AM
Hi
I will never recommend you to use free AV. It will never provide you with complete protection. If you really want to keep your computers safe then get a paid version.
Regards

supra
09-02-10, 02:22 AM
+1 for MSSE

mcolbourn
09-02-10, 05:59 AM
Well I went form using Kaspersky to MSSE as my sub ran out and have not had any issues.

musman
09-02-10, 04:57 PM
I use MSSE. I went from Avast. They both worked good for me. I don't see why anyone using a PC would really need purchase AV software.

six_storm
09-02-10, 09:08 PM
+1 MSSE

kristain
02-24-11, 01:38 AM
AVAST Free antivirus Edition (http://antivirus.iyogi.net/avast/reviews/avast-free-virus-cleaner.html) is a program that includes an easy install and quick setup. The interface is clean, cleaver and very convenient.

ATOJAR
10-23-11, 03:41 PM
Ive used Avast! for years .... Never had a single issue.

john19055
04-02-12, 06:28 PM
If you ever get the virus don't no the name of it ,but they call it cybercrime.It deleted all my icons and everthing in the start menu,plus the three other harddrives That I had install almost 2TB of games and movies and ultilitys.You could open the drive but nothing was there.The only thing that worked was the task bar.when I clicked on it it said I had downloaded a virus and to run there scanner would fix it.I ran it and it showed what was wrong and did I want to fix it ,so I click to fix it and it took me to a web page and said I needed the full version for the fix to work ,It was only going to cost me $89.95.I was'nt about to seed money to them since you know it was there virus that cause it.So I had to do a complete reinstall.I still don't know what I downloaded to cause it.From then on I buy the top rated internet software.Even in safe mode nothing would work.I even tried the windows 7 repair ,but it came back as un fixable.

Capt. Picard
07-06-12, 03:27 PM
Five years ago I started with AVG.

Then I moved on to Avast (I like the sexy voice when it has updated itself).

Now I use MSE (Not MSSE).