PDA

View Full Version : Mouse advice

H4yd3n
06-03-10, 09:49 AM
I have a Razer Copperhead currently. Yesterday, the mouse died and no matter what I did, would not work all day. The mouse had no power and thus my computer could not recognize the "usb device." I've heard from many people that Razer stuff tends to break after a year. This does not surprise me as I constantly have to fiddle with my other keyboard which is a Razer just to get it to work on bootup on the other computer. I've also experienced how lovely Razer's config software can be, it worked fantastically for a short period of time and hasn't worked since, despite all my efforts. So now, no matter how badly I want, I am unable to change my extra key bindings. I also am unable to mess with dpi and double click speed and all that jazz. Now, keep in mind, when I first bought this mouse it was near a hundred bucks if not a hundred. I have had this mouse for a year and a half which is why I wasn't surprised when it died yesterday.

I woke up this morning and turned on my computer to see my mouse working again. But now I need advice because yesterday I bought a Logitech G500 off of Newegg. Not only could I get it for about 25 dollars cheaper than Logitech's website, but it also came with a $20.00 mail in rebate so long as I ordered it yesterday or today. So for $34.00 I was able to purchase what I've heard from many friends to be an incredibly good mouse that will last a lot longer than a year and a half. My question for you guys is whether or not I should cancel my order from Newegg and hope for the best and possibly lose $20.00 when I do go to order it again once this mouse dies.

Another thing to think about is that the rubber on the sides of my mouse has been coming off and gets nasty residue on my mousepad that has to be cleaned off frequently otherwise I can't move as quickly across it, the left click is wearing down rapidly and isn't in the best condition, the rubber pieces on the bottom of the mouse that are meant to help it glide faster are almost completely worn down and I have no replacements, and this mouse will 9/10 times have a completely random dpi on startup which gives me a hell of a time trying to get it back to what I want.

So members of NvNews Forums, please help me.
Here's the mouse in question by the way.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

Madpistol
06-03-10, 11:13 AM
The G500 is a great mouse. Based on your experiences with your current mouse, you will enjoy having the G500 a lot more.

I have a Logitech MX1000, which was the first laser mouse to hit the market. I got it about 5-6 years ago. It's wireless and rechargeable... and I'm still using it on my main gaming machine. I've also got a 4 year old G15 keyboard and 5 year old Logitech Z-2300 speaker set. I'm still using all of them.

If that's not a testament to Logitech's reliability, then nothing is. :)

H4yd3n
06-03-10, 11:25 AM
I'm on a G15 v2 keyboard right now and I love it. Also, I have a pair of Logitech speakers which I got for like $30 bucks and their incredibly good and long lasting. Everything I've bought from Logitech has yet to break, even the 6 year old mouse that I bought for five dollars back in the day that I had to use when the Copperhead stopped working. They definitely know how to make products long lasting. All I keep hearing is how great this mouse is so I hope I'm making the right decision. I'd love to hear more input though. Thanks pistol.

Edit: Copperhead just died again, definitely glad that I didn't cancel my G500 order. No way I want a mouse that is this close to death.

frenchy2k1
06-03-10, 07:24 PM
At work currently where I brought my 8 years old MX700 after I retired it from home (replaced with other logitech mices).
What can be said about Logitech mices? They are built to last!

Aphot
06-03-10, 08:01 PM
Bought a Deathadder a while back and I absolutely love it. It is comparable to the mouse you have shown.

NarcissistZero
06-04-10, 03:15 AM
I love my new G500, it's about a thousand times better than the two Razers I had previously, the Deathadder and Lachesis... never knew what a piece of crap those were until now.

nekrosoft13
06-04-10, 08:18 AM
I also have deathadder I bought it a while ago, and couldn't return it, it still works its plugged into the family PC, just couldn't use it with my main rig.

Lachesis I had for about a week, and returned it.

t3hl33td4rg0n
06-04-10, 08:21 AM
I'm glad I got rid of my mamba. Razer = never again.

Yaboze
06-04-10, 09:11 AM
Love my G500 and G15. :D

H4yd3n
06-04-10, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys, makes me feel a lot better about the purchase. As of 2 am this morning it is now in transit to west Sacramento, so it should be here very soon. I can't wait. :D (It's very hard to play Starcraft 2 or Bad Company 2 with a cheap little mouse)

Destroy
06-04-10, 10:53 AM
I tried the G500 and did not like it, too heavy was my main issue. I'm a finger tip mouser and ended up with this (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=104) instead. Plus I found MS has the best programming software of the 2.
http://www.os-informer.de/screenshots/original/2009/04/SideWinder_X3__3_.jpg

H4yd3n
06-04-10, 11:23 AM
I tried the G500 and did not like it, too heavy was my main issue. I'm a finger tip mouser and ended up with this (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=104) instead. Plus I found MS has the best programming software of the 2.
http://www.os-informer.de/screenshots/original/2009/04/SideWinder_X3__3_.jpg

That's perfect then, I can't stand small or light mouses.
That mouse only has 2000 dpi too, seems a bit low for me, I like a really high dpi and low sensitivity.