PDA

View Full Version : Feel aggrieved about a reiew?

Hanners
07-21-03, 04:41 PM
Yes, this is blatant pimpage by me, but it's an endeavour I want to become a community resource, and it's forums like this that can make it work really well, so bear with me.

Over at Elite Bastards (http://www.elitebastards.com), we've just today started up a new service (headed up by myself) called R.O.A.R. (Review Of A Review), where we'll be taking a look at any new video card reviews, and evaluating them on a technical and general basis - Pointing out errors, issues, points that have been missed, and so on. After all the countless posts I've seen across all sorts of forums pointing out how poor a lot of reviews are, it seems only fair to analyse these reviews and sort the good from the bad, which is exactly what I'm hoping to be able to do. Who knows, we might even start to see better reviews as a result?

You can take a look at the general layout, and the first few reviews to have been reviewed here (http://www.elitebastards.com/roar.php). Of course, any feedback is welcome, because hopefully it's the likes of you guys who will be reading these pages.

Also, if you see any points you feel I've missed, or reviews I haven't covered, then please let me know either through the forums over there or by e-mailing me (hanners@elitebastards.com).

So, that's it.. Tell me what you think! :D

P.S. If any Mods feel this requires moving, then be my guest.

AnteP
07-21-03, 05:34 PM
I'd rather see a section where user could actually vote.
But the concept is pretty cool.

Looking at Rage3D I was pretty stumped to see that many people think that the folks at H and Anand are more trustworthy than B3D for an example. (Probably only a simple question of name recognition "hey I visit H a lot so they must be trustworthy, but I never heard of this beyond3d site"

digitalwanderer
07-21-03, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by AnteP
I'd rather see a section where user could actually vote.
But the concept is pretty cool.
I like that idea! I'll suggest it to the guys when we chat at the pub...at the staff meeting later. ;)

AnteP
07-21-03, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I like that idea! I'll suggest it to the guys when we chat at the pub...at the staff meeting later. ;)

Great. :)
The idea with comments about what's wrong with a review is great though. Might dispell the phony impression of professionalism that some sites manage to get across.

sbp
07-22-03, 04:03 AM
Nice idea guys :thumbsup:

Moose
07-22-03, 06:50 AM
Nice idea!!

I think you should include a brief synopsis for each review linkl explaining the main reason it is in the category it is.

Allowing users to vote on reviews might turn it into a popularity contest.

Couple of other ideas...

ATI/Nvidia bias-o-meter
PR BS-o-meter

Hanners
07-22-03, 07:19 AM
I like the voting idea, although I'd rather keep it separate from the actual article (More of a guage to see if people agree with what we've written or not).

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement guys, it's good to see this get such a positive response. :D