PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a cooler.

RobHague
07-21-03, 07:52 PM
Seems like only yesterday i bought my Aero 7+.....oh hang on it was. :D

Yeah well short story long i changed mainboards and now with an ABIT the socket is slightley higher up and the 'clip' on the coolermaster HSF is pressing against the PSU. I noticed the CPU temp creeping up earlier and i turned the PC off put my hand on the HSF and moved it a bit and turned the PC back on and the temp seemed to stay normal again... so im not risking it (much to my wallets dismay...well not wallet... that ran out ages ago lol... live in sin with my flexable friend ;)).

Soooo i need a new cooler. Something able to cool an overclocked 2500+ at 3200+ levels.

I was just looking at the Zalmans but they seem to not be decent enough for a 3200+... i had a look at the SLK-800 and its too much really. I did however see a Vantec that said it could cope with 3000+ so that should hopefully cool pretty well.

jAkUp
07-21-03, 10:23 PM
the vantec aeroflow. one of the best cpu coolers out there

The Baron
07-21-03, 10:30 PM
900U.... :D

b00bie
07-21-03, 11:13 PM
hmm, I don't really know the exact prob here because I know a couple of people who use this hsf on that board and get great temps on it too. Which is what got me to consider that hsf for my system too (have NF7-S 2.0 as well)
If you really do need to change it, I would recommend the SLK-900-U :D

/hmm... how did I know Baron would recommend that too? :p

CaptNKILL
07-21-03, 11:19 PM
I love my Thermalright SK-7.... its an awesome sink and when you slap an 80MM Panaflo on it, it makes a 1700+ JIUHB pretty chilly :)

Im sure all of the Thermalright sinks are just as good and better, but this one is usually pretty cheap too :D

saturnotaku
07-21-03, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Im sure all of the Thermalright sinks are just as good and better

I would like to provide a resounding "Hell Yeah!" to this. I had an AX-7 that was fantastic and right now I'm running an SLK-800A which also is outstanding. Thermalright coolers are a bit pricier than some of the competition, but like the power supply, CPU cooling isn't an area where you should skimp. ;)

fastguy94416
07-22-03, 12:10 AM
I'm still running an sk-6 and it works pretty well with the delta 38 screamer on it.

RobHague
07-22-03, 06:46 AM
The SLK-800 and 900 are too far out of my price range unfortunatley. :(

The problem is, which some people may not get on the same sysetm (uses my patented paint diagram ;)) the case i have is quite compact. And as the clip sticks out quite a bit its urrm bumping into the PSU.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=161862

Anyways the Zalman looked quite good with its huge heatsink but i doubt it would cool a 3200+ running at higher voltages lol

The Baron
07-22-03, 07:21 AM
Dude... you need a bigger case.

But, the SLK900U won't hit it--it goes horizontally rather than vertically.

Save your pennies... (and melt them down into a copper heatsink of DOOM! or just buy an SLK900U eventually ;) )

RobHague
07-22-03, 07:35 AM
I just got my case :P its an Antec LanBoy.

Well even so i need something now.

Thermaltake Volcano 11+ XASER Edition AMD XP3400
or

Vantec VA4-C7040 AMD Aeroflow cooler XP3000+

?

Bubba
07-22-03, 07:54 AM
Rob- If noise is any issue for you, definitely go with the Vantec. I've been using a Vantec Aeroflow for a while now and not only does it work well, but it's very quiet. On a Paly XP 1800 I get a max variation of 4 degrees C- and that's after 8 hours of heavy use.

|JuiceZ|
07-22-03, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Dude... you need a bigger case.

Thats exactly what I was about to say, screw the new hsf you've already got a good one and get you a nicer larger case.

RobHague
07-22-03, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
Thats exactly what I was about to say, screw the new hsf you've already got a good one and get you a nicer larger case.

Nooooooooooo :D i had a huge CoolerMaster case. I just bought the smaller one lol.

http://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/lanboy.jpg
That be her there - very smart it is. Even comes with a carry stap, great stuff.

Anyways I had zero problems with the cooler on the MSI board but as the ABIT has the CPU Socket furthur up the board so its caused a problem or two.

Incidentally i linked my increasing temp to the case - took the side panel off and it went down to 47*c (rather than increasing expenentially to over 53*c) sooo ill have to see what i can do about it - i already have 2 case fans (the max) so i might change the exhaust inwards and the intake outwards lol.

RobHague
07-22-03, 09:16 AM
Ok, i went for the Vantec :) like i said i need something to solve my problem ASAP. With a bit of luck it will do a good enough job of cooling too :D

b00bie
07-22-03, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by RobHague
The SLK-800 and 900 are too far out of my price range unfortunatley. :(

The problem is, which some people may not get on the same sysetm (uses my patented paint diagram ;)) the case i have is quite compact. And as the clip sticks out quite a bit its urrm bumping into the PSU.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=161862

Anyways the Zalman looked quite good with its huge heatsink but i doubt it would cool a 3200+ running at higher voltages lol

ohhh, ok. Now I understand. I thought you were talking about a problem with the mobo and the hsf. haha I have plenty of room between the mobo and the hsf. I could probably fit another hsf between the two. lol
But you went with a good choice. I heared some mixed reviews about the Volcano 11+ XASER Edition. Hope it works out well for ya ;) :D

|JuiceZ|
07-22-03, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by RobHague
Nooooooooooo :D i had a huge CoolerMaster case. I just bought the smaller one lol.

http://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/lanboy.jpg
That be her there - very smart it is. Even comes with a carry stap, great stuff.

What kinda CM case did you have? I'm using the ATC-111c (http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p111.htm). Like the new one btw :cool2:

RobHague
07-22-03, 02:09 PM
It was a ATC 201B-SXT i believe. This one...
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/201b-sxt.jpg

But i had issues with the case, such as the alignment of the IO cards always seemed to be off even when reseating the mainboard countless times. I also felt it was a little 'big' :) I wanted something more stylish and compact.

Rytr
07-22-03, 10:04 PM
I think any of the ThermalRight sinks would work OK. If cost is a factor check out the all copper SK-7 for under $20.

Smokey
07-26-03, 01:07 AM
Its accually a problem with the motherboard layout. I first put my XDream on the ecs LS7A2 and it fitted fine, then I changed my motherboards around and put the KT3Ultra in as it is faster and I have the same problem you are having. All you need to do is bend the thumb clip almost flat, once its not touching the psu, there wont be any pressureon the hsf :)

Mike89
08-08-03, 12:25 AM
You can't afford an SLK 900u? Dam dude, it's not like buying a vid card. Well worth the money for the most important thing in your case (which is the coolest cpu temp you can get) if you want to overclock. Just bite the bullet and get one.

RobHague
08-08-03, 07:11 AM
The most important thing in my case isnt the CPU cooler though ;) and the cost v performance of the SLK-900 isnt as big with me having a decent cooler already. We are talking like 5-7*c drop MAX. Which is great but since i changed my case to a larger model with more case fans my temps are now back to normal levels. ;)