PDA

View Full Version : Dead Ethernet port?

grey_1
06-12-10, 07:16 PM
I lost connectivity on my new 890GX mobo, Realtek 8111D LAN chipset. Plugged into my laptop and confirmed it's my pc.

Reinstalled device, updated/rolled back drivers etc. It did come back up several times while playing with this, but now appears to be completely dead.

Any other ideas to try? If not I'm off to buy a nic - danged if I'm going through an RMA just for this p.i.t.a.

Thanks in advance.

Bearclaw
06-12-10, 07:39 PM
I had this happen once to me and it was after my house got hit by lightning. Fried one of the two ethernet ports on my mobo. Luckily I had two so I didn't bother swapping it out but still a pain.

I can't think of any other ideas really. Does it show up on the icon taskbar? Just unplugged or not at all? If it doesn't show up at all, make sure the device is on in hardware panel. Whatever that is called, skips my mind right now.

grey_1
06-12-10, 07:43 PM
Yep, I keep the icon visible and diagnostics tells me the cable is unplugged. :lol:

But I have full connectivity on my laptop.

What a pain, brand new mobo - I wonder if stabbing it with a steak knife will work....

Bearclaw
06-12-10, 08:24 PM
Ya, might just be the mobo then. Happens every X out of a 100 pieces of hardware. I've only had one bad mobo out of 100s of pieces of hardware I've gotten. Just happens.