PDA

View Full Version : 64Gb Crucial RealSSD C300 for $149!?

CaptNKILL
06-17-10, 11:58 PM
Ok, what is this all about!?

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1

This page is the only place that this drive is mentioned on the Crucial site or anywhere else on the entire internet (until this thread I guess).

Even if you go to crucial.com and view products in the "C300" category, only the 128Gb and 256Gb models are listed.

It does say that it is a C300 and it does have a proper model number ( CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 ) for a C300.

Judging from the specs of the other drives it should still have the incredibly high read speeds of the other C300 drives, but the sequential write speeds are probably in the 70Mb\sec range.

I've been itching to buy an SSD for an OS drive and for this price I'm very tempted to just buy one and give it a whirl.

What do you guys think?

stjuart
06-18-10, 12:07 AM
If your interested, i can sell you mine, i just purchased a 160gig SSD intel. I have the 80gig Intel x25 version. Only had the drive for like 3 months. PM me if interested.

CaptNKILL
06-18-10, 12:44 AM
Meh, for once I'll be the Guinea Pig. I just ordered one.

The Tech Report's recent review of the C300 just had my mouth watering...
http://techreport.com/articles.x/19049

The only thing that should be any different with the 64Gb model is the write performance, which should still be similar to that of an Intel 80Gb, which is fine for an OS drive.

I got the drive for $158 after tax with free shipping. :)

Roliath
06-18-10, 04:00 AM
please post your results when you get it!

CaptNKILL
06-18-10, 08:56 PM
We'll see how it goes.

According to Anandtech the firmware issues should be worked out by now. If not, well, that sucks.

The drive should still be one of the fastest on the market and for $158, that's a damned good price.

CaptNKILL
06-24-10, 11:32 AM
Well, I got my drive. Its so tiny and hardly weighs anything! :p

I just plugged it into the SATA port on top of my case temporarily just to test it out and make sure it has the latest firmware.

What are some things I should do to configure my system for an SSD?

Any particular formatting options? Settings I should disable or enable? I know I should change my system to AHCI mode when I install Windows on the drive, but will that affect any of my other partitions that aren't bootable?

CaptNKILL
06-24-10, 08:02 PM
Well, I have Windows and some programs installed. I enabled AHCI mode and Native-IDE mode, installed the Intel RST driver, used SSD Tweaker 1.4 to turn off prefetch and superfetch, disabled scheduled defragmenting and disabled indexing on my SSD. I haven't had any issues at all.

This thing seems pretty quick. :)

What should I benchmark it with?

EDIT: Heh, just as a quick random test I copied Quake III Arena to the drive. The levels load almost instantaneously. In fact, I went back to windows and made a copy of the entire 500Mb game folder and it did it in less than a second without any progress bar. :p

CaptNKILL
06-24-10, 08:47 PM
HDTune 64kb benchmark results...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=40572&stc=1&d=1277426802

With the bench set to 4Kb blocks its pegged at 70Mb\sec. With 2Mb blocks its at ~260Mb\sec.

Fast. :)

Bman212121
06-24-10, 09:06 PM
Can you do a write test and see how fast the drive writes? (IE copy some data from your old HDD to the SSD)

CaptNKILL
06-24-10, 09:29 PM
The specs on the box show that the write speed is 70Mb\sec, as expected.

If people are using the Intel V series drives that write at 35Mb\sec, this should be plenty fast enough. Especially for the price. :)

CaptNKILL
06-25-10, 03:15 PM
Heh, I'm starting to have a little bit of buyers remorse. :p

I'm sitting here browsing the web, realizing that that's pretty much all I do with my boot drive. Things load up quickly, but at the moment I can't even think of any apps to test out because I don't really do much other than game, browse the web and edit photos with a 10 year old version of Paint Shop Pro 7.

I'll have to justify this purchase by putting a couple of games on it. ;)

wheeljack12
06-26-10, 07:46 PM
The c300's are for amd 800 series chipset users. They gots the native sata 3. Us intel boys have to wait until next year. Anyhow, the read speeds suck compared to a sandforce controller. 215mb for the c300 and about 275mb for the sandforce. And I don't even know the IOPS or sustained write speed of the c300 as they don't list it on the crucial site.

CaptNKILL
06-27-10, 02:51 AM
Anyhow, the read speeds suck compared to a sandforce controller. 215mb for the c300 and about 275mb for the sandforce. And I don't even know the IOPS or sustained write speed of the c300 as they don't list it on the crucial site.

I don't know where you're getting those numbers, but in actual benchmarks and usage the C300 is almost always faster than any other drive. Even on SATAII.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19049/3

Mine is even faster than the results in those benchmarks. I'm pulling just over 220Mb\sec.

Its also cheaper per GB than any sandforce drive for the 64Gb model.

wheeljack12
06-27-10, 03:03 PM
I don't know where you're getting those numbers, but in actual benchmarks and usage the C300 is almost always faster than any other drive. Even on SATAII.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19049/3

Mine is even faster than the results in those benchmarks. I'm pulling just over 220Mb\sec.

Its also cheaper per GB than any sandforce drive for the 64Gb model.

your right. The C300 look like a can of whoop ass. And the thing I really like about them is their read and write have consistent numbers for avg, min and max. It was the sata 3 that kept me away from them. Didn't think they would perform that well for sata 2 drives. Have they resolved their firmware problem from what I recall. Because I have 3 bricked ocz vertex le 100gb's I have to rma that I couldn't flash. Get this, for the sandforce drives at least in OCZ's case, you have to flash them in ahci mode in windows. They didn't think about the user that might want to raid them. What I mean is the indilinx drives you flashed in dos so that you switch from raid to ahci and back without reinstalling windows via changing bios settings. And the flash program for the ocz's doesn't see the vertex le's in ahci anyhow. also, I had the crappy OCZ summit's too. Samsung took so much time making flash updates to make the drives with trim that OCZ put the drives EOL and stopped making them. I am hoping that OCZ RMAs me sandforce 1200 controller drives. Seems more companies are adopting them for sandforce drives instead of the "experimental" 1500 "enterprise" controller in the vertex le's.