PDA

View Full Version : Building New System -Looking for Suggestions

MaXThReAT
06-23-10, 01:31 AM
So the last system I built is in the sig running V64 and I know nothing about W7 at this point. I'm putting together a W7 system for my parents new PC. We've got a case, PSU and video card but they could use a better one. I was going to build them an old 939 X2 AMD system but I'm finding the board is too old to use with W7 and Iíve had nothing but problems with it since I put it together. Not a gaming PC but just a good all around PC. So we're going all out with a cheap good setup that's going to work well with W7 for the next few years. PM me if you have some parts FS. I'm thinking I might get a good used 680i or 780i board (madcow FS thread) or should I have them go even newer and really future proof it with a new i7 board? Thanks for any advice in advance. :headbang:

Revs
06-23-10, 03:12 AM
An intel board with a P45 chipset might be a good bet. Even a G41 will be OK. If you're not gaming I suggest you stay away from nV chipsets, especially the 680i as reliability is questionable. For a CPU, an Intel Pentium Dual-Core (E6500) Processor is a good, cheap option. If you're wanting something a bit more up to date, an Intel i3 setup would be good also, but more costly.

MaXThReAT
06-23-10, 05:56 AM
Yeah I think I've just found the same I'm going to stay away from the 680 & 780. I'm still looking at a few 775 boards too. As for compatibility what's better a new 775 or iX board? I can go 32 or 64 Win7.

ragejg
06-23-10, 06:08 AM
What 939 board are you having trouble with? I'm building some older systems lately, if you want to ditch that board (and if it's decent) let me know. :)

saturnotaku
06-23-10, 06:50 AM
I built my parents a system with an Asus M4A785 board and an Athlon II X2 CPU. Since it has everything onboard, it was a quick, easy, and cheap build. It's plenty fast for what they do, and it's quiet to boot.

MaXThReAT
06-23-10, 04:12 PM
It's an Asus A8N-32 Sli deluxe with an X2 3800+ and some cheap A-Data Ram. I can't get onboard sound working, onboard eithernet or PCI eithernet add ons. With the eithernet PCI card they system sees it and they make W7 drivers but it fails to load them every time.