PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new card for DOOMIII---DON'T (not yet)


Pages : [1] 2

PreservedSwine
07-22-03, 05:54 PM
Rumors abound that DOOMIII has been delayed..until March '04.....

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=14064



Mod's, Sorry if this is in the wrong forum :angel:

CaptNKILL
07-22-03, 06:12 PM
hahahaha...

id saw Half-Life 2, STALKER and Deus Ex: Invisible War and realised that Doom 3's graphics needed a boost ;)

I guess when the whole selling point of the game is graphics, thats not a bad idea....

(just speculation)

GlowStick
07-22-03, 06:13 PM
i dont belive that to be true. It will be released when its done, and i give a 80% bet that it will be this year.

rokzy
07-22-03, 06:14 PM
yes, it's pathetic.

unless they make lots of significant improvements (i.e. working 16 hour shifts between now and March), then the result will just be that I'm even less impressed.

HL2 E3 video (after almost no hype at all) kicked ID in the balls they way the 9700pro kicked nvidia in the balls. ID is all about hype, whereas (imo) valve is about delivering a great product that shoves the industry forward a huge step with minimal BS.

plus ID just pissed off the people most interested in them, kinda like nvidia taking the piss out of the 5800...

GlowStick
07-22-03, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by rokzy
yes, it's pathetic.

unless they make lots of significant improvements (i.e. working 16 hour shifts between now and March), then the result will just be that I'm even less impressed.

HL2 E3 video (after almost no hype at all) kicked ID in the balls they way the 9700pro kicked nvidia in the balls. ID is all about hype, whereas (imo) valve is about delivering a great product that shoves the industry forward a huge step with minimal BS.

plus ID just pissed off the people most interested in them, kinda like nvidia taking the piss out of the 5800...

the half life 2 engine dose not look that good once you view the high res non video camrea rips. It looks good but not doom3 good. It may have better game play, witch i hope for.

rokzy
07-22-03, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
the half life 2 engine dose not look that good once you view the high res non video camrea rips. It looks good but not doom3 good. It may have better game play, witch i hope for.

plus multiplayer/mods... but no one cares about that, right?

anyway, for me the physics in HL2 are the most amazing. and from what I've seen of Doom 3 so far, the graphics may be 2003 (2004 :rolleyes: ) but the gameplay is still 1993...

The Baron
07-22-03, 06:33 PM
Meh.

They'll probably just increase the poly counts tenfold. Goodbye, HL2! :p

GlowStick
07-22-03, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by rokzy
plus multiplayer/mods... but no one cares about that, right?

anyway, for me the physics in HL2 are the most amazing. and from what I've seen of Doom 3 so far, the graphics may be 2003 (2004 :rolleyes: ) but the gameplay is still 1993...

The physics are really cool, just doom3 may or may not have physics in it, it probly will.

Just the thing is, there are 2 other games that will use the Havok Physics engine, if you look at the Deaus Ex 2 videos you will see the guy kick a box, and it flys around exactly like hl2.

What HL2 lacks is shadows, HL2 has great textures and use cool effects like bump mapping and other stuff to make em look better. EverQuest 2 ALSO has high res textures with bump mapping and stuff to make it look even better. And to add that to boot, they have a really good shadow system, they displayed the skeleton that was casting a shadow on his own bones, and it was porported correctly on the ground and a tomb stone.

The everquest models also look incredible, so i think the HL2 engine will become the norm. HL2's main win is defiantly the characture models, the face, the talking etc. And they have great mod support witch will allow people to make mods faster and it will be alot of fun.

The Baron
07-22-03, 06:37 PM
D3 has its own physics engine.

So, in five years, we'll get the code to that too :D

Shaitan
07-22-03, 07:23 PM
STALKER is as well delayed till 1st 1/4 2004, so wtf is next? Prolly HL 2 as well. Damn, all the average gamer will be able to buy is Halo PC. hah... But wait, it will see a delay too I am sure. Man gaming has truly sucked since bout 2 months before Xmas 2001.

GlowStick
07-22-03, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
D3 has its own physics engine.

So, in five years, we'll get the code to that too :D

hehe, well Id talked about it, and some of the id people felt it wasent needed.

But since everything is unified in doom3 i get the feeling it has the possibility for better collision detection than other engines!

StealthHawk
07-22-03, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by rokzy
plus multiplayer/mods... but no one cares about that, right?

Not really, no. HL's multiplayer sucked. It had good multiplayer mods though. But what makes you think Doom3 will have no mods?


BTW, this is more game related, moving to Games Forum.

The Baron
07-22-03, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
hehe, well Id talked about it, and some of the id people felt it wasent needed.

But since everything is unified in doom3 i get the feeling it has the possibility for better collision detection than other engines!
JC thought it was useless and stupid, but everyone else yelled at him until he decided he would put one in.

So maybe, he IS human! :D

LiquidX
07-22-03, 09:29 PM
I am glad. There like 7 great ones comeing this year which I know I will end up buying, I "buy" my games so this is welcome. And I think HL2 scared the crap out of them.

GlowStick
07-22-03, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
JC thought it was useless and stupid, but everyone else yelled at him until he decided he would put one in.

So maybe, he IS human! :D

Yeah, the unoffical story goes something like this.

JC didnt want rag doll physics, he said it would suck to much resources (he could be right).

And then everyone else at id said 'everybody else is doing it' and one of the programmers added in some rag doll physics as a quick test for the first E3 showing (what everon can see with the videos taken from E3)

so baiscly its very likely it will have some sort of physcis engine unless a certin someone has his way.

Sazar
07-22-03, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
The physics are really cool, just doom3 may or may not have physics in it, it probly will.

Just the thing is, there are 2 other games that will use the Havok Physics engine, if you look at the Deaus Ex 2 videos you will see the guy kick a box, and it flys around exactly like hl2.

What HL2 lacks is shadows, HL2 has great textures and use cool effects like bump mapping and other stuff to make em look better. EverQuest 2 ALSO has high res textures with bump mapping and stuff to make it look even better. And to add that to boot, they have a really good shadow system, they displayed the skeleton that was casting a shadow on his own bones, and it was porported correctly on the ground and a tomb stone.

The everquest models also look incredible, so i think the HL2 engine will become the norm. HL2's main win is defiantly the characture models, the face, the talking etc. And they have great mod support witch will allow people to make mods faster and it will be alot of fun.

hl2 has shadows as well.. dynamic AFAIK... I had a look @ popular mechanics little shots and they said it was dynamic... so I am going per that... :)

these shadows of course are on the people/characters...

dunno what the shadows on the environment will look like compared to d3... though the current clips are showing some amazing things...

***CENSORED***
07-22-03, 10:04 PM
Gamespot: Doom 3, True Crime, Trinity delayed (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/news_6072105.html)

EMunEeE
07-22-03, 10:36 PM
To me...Doom III looks horrible (maybe its just the screenies I've seen).

Half Life 2 looks like it'll be the engine of the future. ;)

EDIT: To be more specific..based on the screenies and movies...HL2 looks more life like than Doom III does.

GlowStick
07-22-03, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
hl2 has shadows as well.. dynamic AFAIK... I had a look @ popular mechanics little shots and they said it was dynamic... so I am going per that... :)

these shadows of course are on the people/characters...

dunno what the shadows on the environment will look like compared to d3... though the current clips are showing some amazing things...

I belive that yes, the people have shadows, but funny thing, their GUNS dont. and also look at the edgy lighting that looks exactly the same as in half life.

http://www.city-17.net/images/lighting.jpg

Matthyahuw
07-22-03, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
I belive that yes, the people have shadows, but funny thing, their GUNS dont. and also look at the edgy lighting that looks exactly the same as in half life.

http://www.city-17.net/images/lighting.jpg ya, you have to make compromizes to have it run on todays hardware...I'm sure they'll scale it better as time goes on, from what I hear, the engine is meant to scale higher when better hardware comes out that can handle it. So in 2yrs or so, when you pop HL2 in, it will look better than it used to!

As for other things of note in that GameSpot article, you have Quake IV in spring 2004...

Edge
07-23-03, 12:08 AM
Well, while Half-life 2 has a more simplistic shadow system, I think it actually looks more realistic. The big problem with Doom 3's shadows is that they don't get lighter as it goes farther away from a character. Everything's shadow is just as dark no matter where it is (at least from all the videos/pictures I've seen). In Half-life 2, they just use a simple shadow system, but they add a few effects to it like getting lighter the farther away the object is from the shadow (look at the last Half-life 2 demo with the Striders and look at the Strider's shadows). While it may not look as impressive as Doom 3, I think it actually looks more realistic overall. But Doom 3 has the advantage of being set in really small areas which frees up a lot of resources for graphic effects. But it doesn't really look realistic...it's just easy to make something look good when you only have small rooms filled with 2 lights :rolleyes:

silence
07-23-03, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Well, while Half-life 2 has a more simplistic shadow system, I think it actually looks more realistic. The big problem with Doom 3's shadows is that they don't get lighter as it goes farther away from a character. Everything's shadow is just as dark no matter where it is (at least from all the videos/pictures I've seen). In Half-life 2, they just use a simple shadow system, but they add a few effects to it like getting lighter the farther away the object is from the shadow (look at the last Half-life 2 demo with the Striders and look at the Strider's shadows). While it may not look as impressive as Doom 3, I think it actually looks more realistic overall. But Doom 3 has the advantage of being set in really small areas which frees up a lot of resources for graphic effects. But it doesn't really look realistic...it's just easy to make something look good when you only have small rooms filled with 2 lights :rolleyes:


agreed...and one other thing.....story....
doom III has no story,you are there and u need to shoot all bad guys, prolly nothing to discover as game goes by, but HL2....man, i can't wait to find out what's really going on and how it will end....what's with g-man, why u fight both aliens and humans...everything....

i know when i start HL2 i'll try to play as much as i can so i finish the story......

there were many games i simply stopped playing in the middle of it, cause story sucked.....HL wasn't one of them, or Homeworld or some other games...and i think that HL2 will get me same kind of excitement about the story and how it ends that i will simply HAVE TO play it to the end....shadows or no shadows ;)

IMO...STALKER will be close to HL2 story wise.....and it's open concept is soemthing i am also looking forward to see....so what if character animations aren't perfect? perfect animation and perfect graphics don't make perfect game.....

Nv40
07-23-03, 02:03 AM
maybe Doom3 delay has something to do with M$ Xbox version.

a nice article about Doom3 BTW.. :)
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.05/doom.html

Fotis
07-23-03, 02:19 AM
I personally don't get all this shadow hype.
HL2 looks far more realistic.
Doom3 barely uses any shaders(1 or 2 AFAIK)

StealthHawk
07-23-03, 03:17 AM
Keep in mind that HL2 is the far more finished product. Even before Doom3 decided to slip into early 2004(fiscal 2005).