PDA

View Full Version : Custom painting a Case - Sealant?

WarGhSt
06-23-10, 11:13 PM
Just curious what I would want to use to seal a case so the paint wouldn't erode.

Any tips?

Smee
06-24-10, 12:15 AM
Just curious what I would want to use to seal a case so the paint wouldn't erode.

Any tips?

Why would the paint erode?
If it's bare metal, prime it first, then paint it, If your really worried about it, hit it with some clear coats after color.

I'm sure Beavis will have plenty of advice shortly.
He is the resident case master.

WarGhSt
06-26-10, 08:01 PM
Smee is exactly right. Several layers of clear coat and then a nice buff. Are you rattle-canning or air-brushing or what method of painting? What is the current condition of the case?

Asking for a friend so it took me a little bit to get the answer but she says she'll probably spray paint the case black to give her a good clean surface to work on and then hand paint it with some acrylics.

Painting isn't my forte, I'm a pencil, pen and digital media kind of guy when it comes to my artistic abilities. So to clear up any misinterpretation on my end, Darth, could you give some examples of which clear coats you normally use? Maybe a few links? I've seen some of your work and I'd definitely like to hear more from ya.

grey_1
06-26-10, 09:48 PM
Just my .02 - A wicked finish can be had with lacquer right out of a spray can.

Wash metal surface with soap and water, then tack cloth to clean the surface.

Prime - I used gray primer

Wet sand using 800 grit and soapy water.

Wash and tack again.

Spray lacquer and after dry do the same wet sanding treatment.

Repeat 3-5 times for a mirror finish.

Have the inside powder coated or anodized and assemble.

I did 2 cases this way using nothing more than automotive lacquer sprays and primer. Wish I still had pics to post. Try it sometime, you'll be very satisfied with what you can do with a little elbow grease and patience.

Or - if you're building a human body or skeleton - ask Beavis. :lol: