PDA

View Full Version : Is my PSU just not cutting it anymore?

balex99
06-30-10, 09:20 PM
Been playing around with new Core i7 system and when overclocked, my cpu can handle being stress tested up to 4.2ghz just fine(Orthos 24hours). But when I start doing some intense gaming, it cant handle the clocks and just shuts down during the game and restarts. My Antec 550 has been with me for a while and I def don't want it to fry and take my other parts with it. Everything works fine a stock settings. Just upgraded from a Q9550. No issues with it then while it was overclocked.

I'm thinking its the psu that just cant cut it when its having to feed power to video card and cpu and that is what is making it shut downl during gaming. It passed cpu testing just fine since the gpu isn't pulling very much power. Am I correct in my thinking?

Just looking at psu's while at work tonight and the Corsair TX 750 and 850 look good. Both are around $100. Just wanting yalls thoughts.

Just remembered something, I only have a 4 pin power going to the MB instead of the 8 pin. Would that limit me on OC potential?

Thanks.

lee63
06-30-10, 11:26 PM
Cant go wrong with Corsair.....some of the best PSUs IMO.

balex99
07-01-10, 09:15 PM
Well, it looks as though my problem maybe my 4 pin power on the board. It seems that if you are using a cpu with power usage above 125w then it could cause stability issues especially if overlocking(or so I have read). Looks like I'll invest in a new PSU soon to be on the safe side.

Oh, and thanks for all the replies.

bob saget
07-01-10, 09:18 PM
I would go for a slightly higher wattage one. Corsair have been rock solid for me.

balex99
07-01-10, 09:27 PM
Yea, I think I am going to go with the Corsair TX850. That will give me plenty of head room for OCing and a more power hungry vid card in the future.

lee63
07-01-10, 09:53 PM
Yea, I think I am going to go with the Corsair TX850. That will give me plenty of head room for OCing and a more power hungry vid card in the future.Good choice :D

balex99
07-04-10, 07:45 PM
Corsair 850TX is on its way. Hope it solves the problem. I hate having a nice OCing chip running at stock speeds. That's just not right, man!