PDA

View Full Version : OCZ Revodrive - Sandforce PCI-e SSD

Viral
06-30-10, 11:56 PM
Some nice reviews on this very well priced Sandforce RAID 0 PCI-E SSD,

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3788/oczs-revodrive-pcie-ssd-preview-an-affordable-pcie-ssd

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=913&type=expert&pid=1

The performance is pretty damn good (although not mind blowing) but the price tops it off for me. Even though you still don't have TRIM support, the performance degradation with Sandforce controllers is so small it wouldn't even be noticeable.

MSRP's for the RevoDrive:

- 120GB: $389.99 ($3.25/GB)
- 240GB: $699.99 ($2.91/GB)

But when they hit Newegg come July 4th, prices will be:

- 120GB: $359.99 ($3.00/GB)
- 240GB: $639.99 ($2.66/GB)

Considering there are two SF-1200 controllers and a SiImage Raid controller on the card those prices are very competitive. I was going to wait for SATA3 drives but with these I think I'll buy pretty soon. I'm also taking into account that I won't have to worry about possible SATA performance loss if I choose to go with an AMD system in the future - having that flexibility and guaranteed performance from a PCI-E 4x-16x slot is a big plus in my book. For those who like SLI and Crossfire, maybe not.

FastRedPonyCar
07-01-10, 09:17 AM
Saw these too. I'm seriously considering one near the end of the year

bacon12
07-01-10, 10:28 AM
Still to expensive for me.

DiscipleDOC
07-01-10, 11:21 AM
It's an interesting concept that finally gets desktop friendly.
But I don't really want to use PCIe slots for storage, so I'll definitely continue to buy SATA based SSDs.

This. My PCIe slots are for my graphics card. Not for my storage drive.

Viral
07-01-10, 05:29 PM
Well for me I have one graphics card taking up one 16x slot and a lot of wasted space. I could easily move the GPU to the second 16x slot and have this SSD closer to the CPU since it shouldn't make any real amount of heat. That should actually improve thermals. I am considering getting a sound card, but I don't think I'll ever have two video cards so since SATA3 hasn't taken off yet this solution makes a lot of sense for my situation. I'm sure some others will be in the same boat, particularly those not using Intel SATA controllers or even those looking at RAID considering this is actually cheaper and easier, albeit not quite as fast.

FastRedPonyCar
07-02-10, 10:14 AM
+1. I really have never used SLI before and I just prefer to have one fast card.

Another cool thing about these PCIe SSD's is that it looks like they have upgrade capabilities... like the ability to just snap on another PCB loaded with storage. That's really cool.

Roliath
07-02-10, 11:22 PM
I don't have any open pci-e slots :(

crainger
07-03-10, 08:09 AM
Yeah. I'll stick with the traditional SATA myself for now. I have my SLI and eat it too.

wheeljack12
07-05-10, 11:46 PM
the real problem here is that not everyone has 7 pci-e slots on their mb like I do. and I used them for sli gtx 480, sound card, usb 3.0 card and gaming network card. The only way you could get me to buy that is to get the overly expensive gigabyte ud9 mb to replace the usb 3.0 and use it's free slot for a pci-e ssd. Mind you, I would rather have a pci-e sata 3 raid controller from highpoint and stick 3 or 4 crucial c300 sata 3's on it.