PDA

View Full Version : Driver issue with 9800 GTX+

Madpistol
07-05-10, 12:15 AM
My fan recently started making a buzzing/whiring noise on my 5870, so I'm now in the process of RMAing it. In the meantime, I'm now using my old 9800 GTX+ again. However, I haven't been able to play a single game again because I'm having so many issues with not only installing the drivers, but also getting stable ones running.

So far, I've used the 197.45 and the 257.21. Both of them suffer from the same issue with blue screening my computer about every 30 minutes. I'll every once in a while get an error that says "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" on the blue screen. Upon looking that up, it's clearly a driver issue.

I need help here. The computer is volatile at best right now, and when I succeed at getting a driver installed, it isn't stable and it usually ends up crashing and corrupting my games. I'm very frustrated with it.

Does anyone have any input on how they would fix this? I swear I never had this sort of trouble with nvidia cards before now. It's really disheartening, especially considering that nvidia's drivers are supposed to be better. I've never had any issue that was even close to this magnitude with ATI's drivers... :(

Madpistol
07-05-10, 08:44 AM
As an aside, it seems like Firefox crashes a lot when steam is open. Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: Also, framerate in games/benchmarks is choppy. Temperatures are fine on card (idles @ 53c, max in low 60's) I can see breaks in the frames in various parts of the screen, and it happens constantly. Vsync is turned off.

Madpistol
07-05-10, 10:24 AM
I think I may have found the culprit of why gameplay is choppy. For some reason, the monitor is defaulting to 59hz, and for some reason whenever I try to force 60hz, it just resets to 59hz again.

Anyone know a fix to THIS? Absolutely mind boggling... :headexplode:

Madpistol
07-08-10, 08:04 PM
UPDATE:

It wasn't a driver issue. It was an OS issue. As soon as I put my HD 5870 back in, a day later, it started exhibiting the exact same behavior. It's so strange.

Anyway, I reinstalled Windows, and now everything is fine. The 9800 GTX+ works flawlessly, and I've even got a 9600 GT in for physx. :)

Now I just have to wait for my HD 5870 to get back from RMA. The 5870 is seriously twice as fast as the 9800 GTX+, so I'm looking forward to getting it back. It's nice getting 60 FPS average out of BC2 without having to compromise on settings.