PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard forums to use Real ID

Pages : [1] 2

K007
07-07-10, 04:20 AM
To sum it up....if you post on the official blizzard forums, it will display your real First Name and Last Name.

So if you name is John Smith...everyone will see it.

Some may like it...some may not...others don't care...

I really don't like to have my name posted on the forums...my name is pretty unique even on FB their is only 1 person with my name :/....

http://i49.tinypic.com/5x7nmq.jpg

Recently, we introduced our new Real ID feature - http://www.battle.net/realid/ , a new way to stay connected with your friends on the new Battle.net. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about our plans for Real ID on our official forums, discuss the design philosophy behind the changes we're making, and give you a first look at some of the new features we're adding to the forums to help improve the quality of conversations and make the forums an even more enjoyable place for players to visit.

The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect on all StarCraft II forums with the launch of the new community site prior to the July 27 release of the game, with the World of Warcraft site and forums following suit near the launch of Cataclysm. The classic Battle.net forums, including those for Diablo II and Warcraft III, will be moving to a new legacy forum section with the release of the StarCraft II community site and at that time will also transition to using Real ID for posting.

The official forums have always been a great place to discuss the latest info on our games, offer ideas and suggestions, and share experiences with other players -- however, the forums have also earned a reputation as a place where flame wars, trolling, and other unpleasantness run wild. Removing the veil of anonymity typical to online dialogue will contribute to a more positive forum environment, promote constructive conversations, and connect the Blizzard community in ways they haven't been connected before. With this change, you'll see blue posters (i.e. Blizzard employees) posting by their real first and last names on our forums as well.

We also plan to add a number of other features designed to make reading the forums more enjoyable and to empower players with tools to improve the quality of forum discussions. Players will have the ability to rate up or rate down posts so that great topics and replies stand out from the not-so-great; low-rated posts will appear dimmer to show that the community feels that they don't contribute effectively to the conversation, and Blizzard's community team will be able to quickly and easily locate highly rated posts to participate in or to highlight discussions that players find worthwhile.

In addition, individual topics will be threaded by context, meaning replies to specific posts will be grouped together, making it easier for players to keep track of multiple conversations within a thread. We're also adding a way for Blizzard posters to "broadcast" important messages forums-wide , to help communicate breaking news to the community in a clear and timely fashion. Beyond that, we're improving our forum search function to make locating interesting topics easier and help lower the number of redundant threads, and we have more planned as well.

With the launch of the new Battle.net, it's important to us to create a new and different kind of online gaming environment -- one that's highly social, and which provides an ideal place for gamers to form long-lasting, meaningful relationships. All of our design decisions surrounding Real ID -- including these forum changes -- have been made with this goal in mind.

We've given a great deal of consideration to the design of Real ID as a company, as gamers, and as enthusiastic users of the various online-gaming, communication, and social-networking services that have become available in recent years. As these services have become more and more popular, gamers have become part of an increasingly connected and intimate global community -- friendships are much more easily forged across long distances, and at conventions like PAX or our own BlizzCon, we've seen first-hand how gamers who may have never actually met in person have formed meaningful real-life relationships across borders and oceans. As the way gamers interact with one another continues to evolve, our goal is to ensure Battle.net is equipped to handle the ever-changing social-gaming experience for years to come.

For more info on Real ID, check out our Real ID page and FAQ located at http://www.battle.net/realid/ . We look forward to answering your questions about these upcoming forum changes in the thread below.

Vardant
07-07-10, 04:32 AM
It's going to cause more problems, than it can solve.

Companies now google your name, if you're looking for a job, spammers will abuse it even more, not to mention trolls.

Even the IG version is flawed. I mean, sure, I will use my real ID with real life friends, they know my name already, so it's fine. What's not fine is, that everyone else who is on my friends real ID friends list can now see me too. That's retarded.

Imagine your phonebook on a cell, you add somebody and now you can see his whole list and he can see yours...:headexplode:

K007
07-07-10, 05:13 AM
http://www.coffeedrunk.com/2010/07/07/micah-whipple-aka-bashiok-soars-in-google-popularity/

LMAO

A new search trend has hit google on July 7th, 2010.

Micah Whipple, known as Bashiok on the Blizzard forums seems to be headed to instant internet popularity, or should we say, notoriety?

It all started with one seemingly innocent post, and that proved to be all that it takes to start a new internet trend.

Read more: http://www.coffeedrunk.com/2010/07/07/micah-whipple-aka-bashiok-soars-in-google-popularity/#ixzz0szRwq7x6

K007
07-07-10, 05:29 AM
-From the Forum Guidelines

Distribution of Real-Life Personal Information

This category includes:

* Releasing any real-life information about other players or Blizzard Entertainment employees

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:

* Be permanently banned from the Battle.net forums

Time to write up a new EULA

NarcissistZero
07-07-10, 05:39 AM
Well, I will never be on their forums then, not that I was anyway.

I don't even mind the name thing that much, my email is my name, but broadcasting it is sort of ridiculous. And I have a rather unique name too, for the U.S. anyway.

BioHazZarD
07-07-10, 05:54 AM
Yeah thats a bit drastic, who wanna post with their names.. whats this facebook?

K007
07-07-10, 06:10 AM
If you guys check out the link....they managed to pretty much find

The guys home address, his family relatives names/dob, his mothers home address (along with added streetview map)

Roliath
07-07-10, 11:23 AM
bout time

ViN86
07-07-10, 12:16 PM
I never used their forums to begin with. Now I really won't.

Armed_Baboon
07-07-10, 05:47 PM
It is only a matter of time before an online altercation spills over into real life and some thug will look someone up and go round to their house and beat the crap out of them.

it's just a matter of time.

Mr. Hunt
07-07-10, 06:01 PM
Blizzard hasn't made a good game since... ever. Blizzard makes garbage.

Q
07-07-10, 06:32 PM
Blizzard hasn't made a good game since... ever. Blizzard makes garbage.

I'm going to start referring to you as Dr. Hunt, because I'm fairly sure that you have a PhD in trolling.

Bearclaw
07-07-10, 06:40 PM
Whats stopping anyone from registering on the forums using a fake name? Why can't I be Dr. Disciple Grey Hunt?

Shamrock
07-07-10, 06:56 PM
What if there are like 75 John Smiths?

Roliath
07-07-10, 07:28 PM
Whats stopping anyone from registering on the forums using a fake name? Why can't I be Dr. Disciple Grey Hunt?

Well if you create your account with that name, that's what will show up on their forums.

Mr. Hunt
07-07-10, 07:33 PM
I'm going to start referring to you as Dr. Hunt, because I'm fairly sure that you have a PhD in trolling.

Why? Because I said Blizzard makes garbage RTS games? OH THE HORROR!

NarcissistZero
07-07-10, 09:04 PM

You're messing with... DOCTOR HUNT!

Q
07-07-10, 09:12 PM
Why? Because I said Blizzard makes garbage RTS games? OH THE HORROR!

:p

Mr. Hunt
07-07-10, 09:48 PM
I only spoke the truth. RTS games and Diablo style games suck. And don't even get me started on the garbage that is WoW.

K007
07-08-10, 04:17 AM
iRacing uses the same system and it's fine.
But it's a different kind of community, it's more appropriate for racing simulations than RTS.

what the heck is iRACING?

WeReWoLf
07-08-10, 04:41 AM
I only spoke the truth. RTS games and Diablo style games suck. And don't even get me started on the garbage that is WoW.

It's Garbage because you say so? Oh No! I've been playing a garbage game for the last 5 years and I've only just found out about it! I must inform the other 12 million players of WoW!

*Runs off frantically flailing his arms*

NarcissistZero
07-08-10, 05:33 AM
It's Garbage because you say so? Oh No! I've been playing a garbage game for the last 5 years and I've only just found out about it! I must inform the other 12 million players of WoW!

*Runs off frantically flailing his arms*

Hunt is the voice of the people!

Ghosthunter
07-08-10, 05:56 AM

if i recall it is linked to your account in WoW which will have real information

K007
07-08-10, 07:05 AM
well i guess u can make a new b.net acc and put ure sc2 game in their...

Name John Doe!....should be a lot of it....

So it only helps trolls ^_^....

K007
07-08-10, 07:12 AM
http://asnowstormbyanyothername.blogspot.com/

lol....the blizz employees are getting trolled so hard....

just goes to show how stupid this was from blizzard...

never really expected blizzard to screw **** up

haha teamliquid getting into it as well.