PDA

View Full Version : Android destroys iOS4 in Java

Shamrock
07-07-10, 07:52 PM
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/07/android-22-demolishes-ios4-in-javascript-benchmarks.ars

ViN86
07-07-10, 08:53 PM
Not to mention it will support... *gasp*... FLASH!

Q
07-07-10, 09:15 PM
Not to mention it will support... *gasp*... FLASH!

I'm telling you people, Flash on mobile devices is not going to be a super pleasant experience - at least without some selective blocking support like FlashBlock for Firefox. I've already got Flash Lite on my Droid Incredible. It's not the greatest thing in the world. Most sites that DO load that have Flash were certainly not designed to be navigated with fingers. And the Flash ads are already a pain in the ass and drag down the browser. Also, full flash is going to hurt battery life which already struggles against the iPhone.

It certainly isn't going to be the end of the world. It is nice. It's a good feature. But depending on what sites you frequent, it could be a royal pain in the ass.

Just my two cents.

betterdan
07-07-10, 09:20 PM
I wonder if they could make it where you could turn flash off or on so you could view a webpage with flash only if you wanted to.

Sazar
07-07-10, 10:02 PM
I'm telling you people, Flash on mobile devices is not going to be a super pleasant experience - at least without some selective blocking support like FlashBlock for Firefox. I've already got Flash Lite on my Droid Incredible. It's not the greatest thing in the world. Most sites that DO load that have Flash were certainly not designed to be navigated with fingers. And the Flash ads are already a pain in the ass and drag down the browser. Also, full flash is going to hurt battery life which already struggles against the iPhone.

It certainly isn't going to be the end of the world. It is nice. It's a good feature. But depending on what sites you frequent, it could be a royal pain in the ass.

Just my two cents.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/07/froyo-versus-ios-4-the-browser-showdown-video/

If you see the 2 videos (with/without flash), you will notice that the two are almost comparable even with Froyo running with flash and Froyo takes the lead without flash.

Given that sites load up in a jiffy on my iPhone 4, color me quite impressed.

The iPhone 4 is significantly faster than the 3G in pretty much everything by 2-4x, from my personal experience and, side by side with the 3GS, it is also faster in many things and just plain smoother.

V/s Evo, I have noticed the Evo to be on par in many situations or, faster with 4G enabled. Oddly, HD YouTube videos load faster on Evo than regular videos on my ip4. Note, I have not yet tried with the mobile YouTube site which allows me to watch HD videos in a very clean format (I like the layout a lot more than the default YT app).

It does seem like Google is toning down it's development of many apps for the iPhone which saddens me :(

ViN86
07-07-10, 10:02 PM

Just my two cents.
I'm more interested in the audio options it opens rather than the video. If someone offers a Windows Media Plugin for Android I will be in heaven. :D

Q
07-07-10, 10:12 PM
I'm more interested in the audio options it opens rather than the video. If someone offers a Windows Media Plugin for Android I will be in heaven. :D

The Music app on my Incredible supports WMA and Video supports WMV to some extent. RockPlayer is a bit better for video and DoubleTwist better for audio, I suppose.

The Subsonic app is AWESOME for streaming music and worth the donation. The Server itself is completely free and works great for full browsers. Another one of those "you only pay for mobile" deals.