PDA

View Full Version : 9800GTX+ temperature

ngolian
07-11-10, 08:07 PM
I've got a Palit 9800GTX+. The stock cooler seemed OK at first but the noise when the card was loaded began to get on my nerves so I replaced it with an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo. I didn't get round to finding temperature monitor software before I fitted the new cooler, but now I have and I found the temperature is almost nudging 90C when gaming, but the fan is only at 72%.

Is that because it's quite OK for the GPU to run that hot and the cooler is trying not to be noisy (which is good) or does it mean the heatsink probably isn't making good contact with the die? The fans share a 4-pin connector which fits the socket on the card so I would have thought that means their speed is controlled by the card via a sensor on the chip, not on the heatsink.

Madpistol
07-11-10, 09:40 PM
That's really hot for that card. At stock mine very rarely peaks 70C on stock cooling. On an aftermarket solution, it should be a lot lower.

You may need to reseat the HSF on it. Also, what's the temperature in your room?

hessemon
07-12-10, 03:45 AM
There is a whole lot of this going on! For some it is even happening on a brand new card. I too have the problem but noticed it started when I loaded Windows 7 64 bit. My XFX GeForce 9800 GTX shows hot right from boot-up. (No overclocking) I think someone has to look more into the compatibility of Windows 7 (64 bit version) and Nvidia video card drivers. I've only read about one of these cards frying so I have to wonder if maybe the temp. is somehow being read wrong. I just can't see how a GPU could heat up like that after cold booting. The rest of my system is under 48 Celsius and the video card passes benchmarking without a hitch.:)

ngolian
07-12-10, 08:21 AM
We're having what passes for a heat wave in Britain but my room wasn't all that hot considering; low 20s Celsius probably.

I think the temperature readings are true. What first alerted me that there could be a problem was that after gaming and booting into Linux (strangely NVidia don't seem to provide a thermal monitor in their Windows stuff any more, but their Linux utility does) I checked nvidia-settings, which showed the temperature was >60C. It typically idles at just over 40C. The temperature reading last night came from a 7/Vista "gadget" I found.

What surprised me is that if the fan is controlled by a sensor on the chip I would have expected it to be running the fan at full speed at those sort of temperatures.

ngolian
07-12-10, 03:13 PM
I reseated the heatsink, cleaning away the slab of stock thermal compound and replacing it with a thin layer of Arctic Silver. It's much better now. The hottest I've seen it this evening is 60C, it's also cooling down more quickly when I stop gaming, and idling cooler.

Madpistol
07-12-10, 03:17 PM
Perfect. Crisis averted.

Good job. :)

ngolian
07-13-10, 07:40 AM
Thanks. I was going to leave a review/comment on the website of the vendor, ebuyer, but they've discontinued this model of cooler. I wonder whether other people have been having problems with them.