PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting a Samsung Galaxy S phone?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Stoneyguy
07-22-10, 07:40 PM
I have 11 in view, 6 in use, and accuracy of 16.4 feet. Now this took some time to actually have satellites in use. This probably had a lag of about 15 seconds before actually activating the available sats.

betterdan
07-22-10, 07:48 PM
Thanks for checking that for me. I may go back to TMobile this weekend and see if any other Vibrants have the same issue. I am imagining they do but it's worth a shot.

Now another question...
Can you open up your dialer and type in *#*#1472365#*#* and a secret GPS settings screen comes up like on the Vibrant?
If so can you go into "Application settings" and see what it says under "Operation Mode"? The Vibrant says Standalone
Then go out of Operation Mode and go into "SUPL/CP Settings" and see what it says for "Server" test? The Vibrant says www.spirent-lcs.com
and finally is your port set at 7275?

Just want to see if the ATT phone is setup any differently.

Stoneyguy
07-22-10, 09:10 PM
yes it says standalone as well and yes it says www.spirent-lcs.com with server port 7275, SUPL is on and AGPS is SUPL

betterdan
07-22-10, 09:42 PM
Thanks again. I wonder why the Tmobile Vibrant and the original Galaxy S are having so much trouble with the damn compass and GPS then...

Albo
07-22-10, 11:17 PM
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the info Stoneyguy, I'm relieved that the Captivate isn't having these problems, so to speak.

I'll be able to play with the Captivate on Sunday.

Stoneyguy
07-23-10, 06:49 AM
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the info Stoneyguy, I'm relieved that the Captivate isn't having these problems, so to speak.

I'll be able to play with the Captivate on Sunday.

I have read that some Captivate users are experiencing this problem. Just do a search for "Captivate GPS". It seems to be a hit or miss issue that luckily I, so far, missed. Betterdan's problems just shows that the same problems exist across the Galaxy S line.

Betterdan, have you read this article (http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/fix-for-samsung-galaxy-vibrant-captivate-gps-problems)?

betterdan
07-23-10, 07:38 AM
Well I didn't read that exact article but yea I saw those same settings on another site that is how I found out about the secret menu. It seemed to work at first but if I go into the GPS Test app it shows it isn't using any satellites. I don't know what the hell is going on to be honest.
Right now I have the it set to supl.google.com and port 7276 with the rest set at stock settings. I went outside a few minutes ago and I got a GPS lock in about 3 minutes and it showed viewing 1 sats and using 5 in GPS test app.

Here is a review comparing the Vibrant and the Captivate. It is saying they also had problems with the GPS with both the Vibrant and the captivate http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/22/samsung-galaxy-s-review-shootout-captivate-for-atandt-and-vibrant/

I am going to try and make a short video tonight showing the problem I'm having with the compass.

CaptnStubing
07-24-10, 07:39 PM
The problem with the Galaxy is Samsung's UI is poop. Sense is where it's at.

nrdstrm
07-24-10, 08:24 PM
The problem with the Galaxy is Samsung's UI is poop. Stock Android is where it's at.

Fix. :D

nekrosoft13
07-24-10, 08:51 PM

agreed, and sense sooner or later will be ported over

Stoneyguy
07-24-10, 10:17 PM

HTC seems to be very good at UIs. I loved their UI used on my fuze.

betterdan
07-24-10, 10:49 PM
I like the Samsung UI just fine. I only wish the GPS and compass would work better.

betterdan
08-03-10, 11:45 PM
I saw this video about the GPS problem
RKXPOg-gz8U

I noticed the Vibrant in the video has the time off by 5 hours from the other phones. I checked mine and it is 5 hours off also. I checked my wife's Garminfone and the time is right on the money. Maybe this has something to do with the GPS problem.

Also I exchanged my first Vibrant for another and this one seems better so far. I can actually get a lock on the GPS inside the house by the window and outside it gets a lock in under 1 minute. Much better but still the accuracy needs work. In GPS Test it sees a lot of satellites but has a hard time locking on more than 2 or 3.

Stoneyguy and Hawkeyefan can you download GPS Test and see if your local time in the app is also 5 hours off?

Stoneyguy
08-04-10, 12:01 AM
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but in the bottom right it says 00:00. I'm not seeing anything else that looks like a time.

betterdan
08-04-10, 12:13 AM
That 00:00 is the time. If you press it then it will open another screen with the date and time and UTC time etc. You have to get a lock before it shows up. I'm not sure why the guy in the video had the time showing but said he couldn't get a lock. Oh nevermind he did have a lock on GPS but GPS Test showed he was not using any satellites.

Also another thing I noticed on mine and it shows it in that video is the MPH which is above the time fluctuates on mine even while sitting still. You can see in the video the Vibrant is reading 3mph while sitting still :lol: The other phones were steady at 0 mph.

betterdan
08-04-10, 12:36 AM
I just checked my Vibrant again. It was 1:30 am local time on the East coast. The Vibrant was showing 6:30 local time and 10:30 UTC.
According to here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
UTC is 5 hours ahead of local time on the east coast of the United States during winter, but 4 hours ahead during summer.

So neither one of those times makes sense. Since it is showing 5 hours ahead of time for local and 3 hours behind time for UTC.
Weird

lavender04
08-04-10, 08:50 PM
Hi, I purchased a new samsung galaxy s phone,
but Im not sure how to set up the water ripple
effect on touch on this phone. Can any one of
you guys will shred the light on it.

Please advise me.

Thanks.

betterdan
08-04-10, 09:04 PM
On the screen hold your finger down on a blank space until the screen comes up for wallpaper,select it then select live wallpaper. Select the live wallpaper you want with the water ripples.

autobot
08-04-10, 09:44 PM
My brother just got a Galaxy S and he is taking it back. First off, the GPS is totaly worthless. Secondly, its just so BLUUUEEEEE! There is no white on this phone, its all just blue. I dunno if this inherent in all "Super AMOLED" screens, but its damned annoying.

betterdan
08-04-10, 09:52 PM
Yep the GPS is bad, it can still get you places but it's accuracy leaves something to be desired. My screen doesn't look blue unless I watch Avatar. :lol:

betterdan
08-05-10, 12:24 AM
The Samsung car dock and home docks have been out of stock from Samsung but you can download the apps for them on Marketplace. Just search for Samsung Vibrant and you can find the desk home app and the car home app.

onmikesline
08-05-10, 08:35 PM
i have a question. you can get this Samsung Captivate cheaper on newegg for 50 but on att its like 200 bucks. and bestbuy its like 220. i dont understand

betterdan
08-05-10, 08:44 PM
Just read ead the small print on each offer and see what you need to do. If you are a new customer to the phone carrier (AT&T in the Captivate's case) you can usually get the phone for cheaper but you have to sign up for a 2 year agreement.

onmikesline
08-05-10, 08:48 PM
i dont mind signing up for a 2 year agreement but at newegg. it does not show anything why they are so much cheaper look

http://www.cellstores.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=35159_80ead34bf2734ae293d3bf 58ec8f763d&showcustblock=true

betterdan
08-05-10, 09:41 PM
I did look. It's just a better deal is all.

Remember that $59.99 a month is not really what you will pay a month, you have to add a data plan and that is not with unlimited text messaging you will have to pay more for it too or you can pay for a limited amount of texts. I don't know if that matters to you or not.