PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting a Samsung Galaxy S phone?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Mr Bigman
08-05-10, 11:41 PM
Good phone but i have a couple of weird things like the browser exiting on its own after a few seconds but power it up fixes it and sometimes it won't pick up data but gets voice ok.

Can't wait til updates come out.

HiCZoK4
08-13-10, 07:28 PM
So finally how is it I am talking about Vanilla Galaxy S avaible in europe(The one version from image in first post). Is it better than Droid?

crainger
08-13-10, 09:39 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Galaxy, how do they compare to the stock HTC Desire? HTCs overlay seems to look cooler anyway.

onmikesline
08-13-10, 09:46 PM
HTC is junk really. the screen is bad. i have the htc pro2 and its one of the worst phones i ever had

Maverick123w
08-14-10, 12:34 PM
Yep the GPS is bad, it can still get you places but it's accuracy leaves something to be desired. My screen doesn't look blue unless I watch Avatar. :lol:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-actively-testing-gps-fix-erm-optimization-galaxy-s-phones

Toss3
08-14-10, 01:50 PM
So finally how is it I am talking about Vanilla Galaxy S avaible in europe(The one version from image in first post). Is it better than Droid?

Depends on whether you need a keyboard or not, but the Galaxy S is a lot faster once you've run one of the lag-fixes. Getting a Quadrant score of 2500 now with JM5 + SamSet 1.9d + 1.2Ghz OC(I think the Droid is somewhere in the below 1.5k zone).

HiCZoK4
08-14-10, 03:52 PM
I dont know do I need an real kebyoard becouse I never used onscreen kb for soo long to see am I comfortable with it. I am heavy texter. But I hope that screen kb on 4" should be ok + that swype function sounds interesting. How does it work?

One thing I know for sure from reviews is that Galaxy have much better camera than droid and is much faster... but do I need all that power?

|MaguS|
08-14-10, 03:55 PM
I will get one if I win the competition...

betterdan
08-14-10, 04:51 PM
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-actively-testing-gps-fix-erm-optimization-galaxy-s-phones

Damn good to hear(nana2)

onmikesline
08-14-10, 05:47 PM
swype function works really well. its almost 100% perfect it seems. you can do typos and it will fix them automatically

betterdan
08-14-10, 11:18 PM
Yep, Swype is amazing. It almost makes me want a Swype enabled keyboard for my PC. :p

I finally plugged in my Skull Candy earbuds into the phone today and holy crap it sounded good. I played some music then tried Avatar. It says 5.1 is only enabled when using the headphone jack so I wanted to hear it. It actually sounded very cool. When the GPS is fixed this phone should be just about perfect I think.

onmikesline
08-14-10, 11:23 PM
yeah that would be cool but i still prefer my desktop KB anyday

HiCZoK4
08-15-10, 02:56 PM
I am so much hyped for this phone. I was after Milestone but god I didnt had my payment then becouse I would get it not knowing It cant be overclocked as Droid can.

Avatar is included in the phone for free?
How about running Broken sword games?

crainger
08-20-10, 09:44 AM
I am so much hyped for this phone. I was after Milestone but god I didnt had my payment then becouse I would get it not knowing It cant be overclocked as Droid can.

Avatar is included in the phone for free?
How about running Broken sword games?

To play Broken Sword you need ScummVM which you can get from the Droid store I believe and here?
http://sites.google.com/site/scummvmandroid/

HiCZoK4
08-20-10, 09:51 AM
! Thats great! Broken sword and BSII are supported!

But the problem is that I might get wave after all becouse its cheaper and seems better overall.

batterbrain101
08-21-10, 05:35 AM

The Captivate is being tested over clocked to 1.2 GHz, of course there are bugs but it sounds like development is going fairly well, read up on it over at XDA-developers (A must go to site for WM, Android phone users) So there might be hope yet if you don't care about battery life.

Personally my Captivate does everything I need it too and a whole hell of alot more that I'm still figuring out. I have had no issues with GPS, data has stuttered a few times but that was because it was starting to lose my WiFi signal while trying keep it going through 3G, it got confused (IMO) stopped the transfer but picked up where it left off when I hit OK and finished no problem. It's always been the same scenario and just a few time so far.

You got to love having 16GB of ram on board and I added another 16GB Micro sdhc card to it for good measure.

This phone is slick and functional to an excess.

betterdan
08-21-10, 08:16 AM
If you haven't had issues with GPS with these phones you haven't really been using it much.

batterbrain101
08-21-10, 09:57 AM
If you haven't had issues with GPS with these phones you haven't really been using it much.

Well I'm not the only one that reports not having issues, nav works fine, google maps with gps location works fine, the barcode scanning with locations near me for products works fine, geo labeling my pictures works fine, lets see, where else did you go with me?

Headed to Seattle today, will post on how its working over there.

betterdan
08-21-10, 06:27 PM
Google maps finds my location fine as does the other things you mentioned. The navigation is what blows. It is not accurate enough. Some people claim it works great because they have no idea how it is supposed to work. Just like some guy on T Mobile forums swore his compass worked fine and the rest of us were idiots because all we had to do was calibrate it. He posted a video and it was working crappy just like we said. :lol:

Samsung even agrees they screwed up and that is why they are working on fixing it. The GPS does not work fine on these phones and neither does the compass.

Try driving using navigation and see how many times it screws up.

onmikesline
08-21-10, 06:43 PM
I Hope the fix is really soon Because they knew about this before the release date

betterdan
08-21-10, 08:01 PM
Yea me too. I found a nice waterproof case I can use to mount this on my motorcycle for GPS use only (No I am not retarded enough to try and talk or text on the phone while riding). Now i just need the GPS to work and be reliable.

crainger
08-21-10, 11:04 PM
When dans on the road, he's invincible. Nothing can stop him. Except faulty GPS. ::(:

betterdan
08-22-10, 01:34 AM
That won't stop me either Crainger, I still keep riding. The only thing is that I sometimes make wrong turns like I did today while leading 8 others. :o

crainger
08-23-10, 04:13 AM
Do the guys riding behind you regen health?

Toss3
08-23-10, 04:55 AM
Google maps finds my location fine as does the other things you mentioned. The navigation is what blows. It is not accurate enough. Some people claim it works great because they have no idea how it is supposed to work. Just like some guy on T Mobile forums swore his compass worked fine and the rest of us were idiots because all we had to do was calibrate it. He posted a video and it was working crappy just like we said. :lol:

Samsung even agrees they screwed up and that is why they are working on fixing it. The GPS does not work fine on these phones and neither does the compass.

Try driving using navigation and see how many times it screws up.

Have you tried the new Epic 4G fix that was posted on XDA? Getting a nice accurate fix in less than 10 seconds indoors now. I still get the occasional jump, but at least I don't have to wait 5 minutes before seeing a single satellite. :p