PDA

View Full Version : Need help, missing RAM on EVGA X58

Yaboze
07-14-10, 01:31 PM
[Resolved]

The GSkill Ripjaws came and I installed them. Rebooted several times, all is good. Memtest86 passed. It was the Corsair ram the whole time.

See sig for specs.

I got this set up in March from Microcenter.

It's been working great for over 4 months.

Over the weekend I put in a EVGA GTX 480 and it's been working great. I think this is when my issue started but I can't be sure.

On Sunday, I removed the 285 from device manager and removed the rest of the Nvidia drivers and shut down. I unplugged the PC, removed the 285, put in the GTX 480, fired it up, installed the latest driver and I shut down when it asked to reboot. I didn't reboot because I wanted to put my side panel back on and fix the wires coming from the side fan. I turned the PC on and used it all day Sunday and left the PC on until Monday AM when I went to work.

I came home from work Monday and turned it on and everything was OK. I did the same thing, left it on, shut it down Tuesday morning, went to work.

On Tuesday, after work, I turned it on and got some Windows updates and restarted. When I got back into Windows 7, it said 6.00 GB (3.99 Usable). I played with all of the setting and reseated the RAM but if I start cold, it will have 6GB, but any restart after that, I will lose 2GB, even in the BIOS it shows 4GB.

CPUZ and ELEET show triple channel still. They show the mem in the proper slots of 1,3 and 5.

If I shut down and let the PC sit for 10 mins and start it back up, I have 6GB again.

My CPU ide temp on the MB LED is 38.

Any ideas?

snowmanwithahat
07-14-10, 02:07 PM
Few simple tests....

Download linux, burn a live-cd. Boot into it (don't install) and just see if it reports all 6gb of RAM. You'll need the 64-bit version obviously but that'll narrow it down to either a hardware or windows problem.
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Another simple test is to run memtest 86.... it'll be on the same live-cd I just pointed you to. Report back what your findings are.

I'm assuming you're on a 64-bit windows 7 install... right?

darkrider01
07-14-10, 02:22 PM
I had a very similar issue when I was running Corsair DDR3-1600 modules. Before going through a lot of testing, I would go into your BIOS and manually set the timings for your memory modules. When I had the Corsair RAM, if I left the timings on Auto, I would randomly lose 2-4GB upon a reboot (I had 6 x 2GB). When I manually set the timings, the sticks would all show up on reboot.

Yaboze
07-14-10, 02:27 PM
I'll give it a shot, darkrider01.

The weird thing is I had no issues for 4 months. No crashes, lockups or BSOD's. I only reboot for a new driver or when Windows update forces me to. I put in a new GPU and this happens. I am running Windows x64 and even the BIOS shows 4GB when it happens, so it's not a Windows issue.

Yaboze
07-14-10, 06:35 PM
I went into the BIOS and set the timings manually. Still the same thing.

I tested each DIMM alone in Slot 1 and ran Memtest. It posted with each and each module tested OK.

I put all 3 back in and ran Memtest again and it passed with all 3.

Going to reseat CPU now.........

Yaboze
07-14-10, 09:00 PM
Took off heatsink, cleaned off thermal grease off heatsink and CPU, took CPU, no bent pins. Put some new Arctic Silver on it, reseated everything and didn't use too much pressure.

Tested the system again with the 3 modules in, it passed all 8 Memtest tests.

I have no idea WTF is going on.

But the system is rock stable either way, I just lose 2GB of ram on a warm restart.

supra
07-14-10, 11:02 PM
have u tried testing the ram sticks on another machine?

Roliath
07-15-10, 12:53 AM
Updated Bios on x58?
Remove the 480, and put the 285 back in. Still the same problems?
Or just download ubuntu live-cd or similar. Run Memtest.

EDIT: Are you overclocked? Maybe not enough volts to the cpu?

Yaboze
07-15-10, 08:07 AM
I don't have another DDR3 machine to test them in, but I have some GSkill DDR3 on the way to test. Also, I discovered that my RAM isn't on the QVL from EVGA and my MB isn't listed on the Corsair site for that ram.

Is it possible to have good testing ram that just doesn't work properly? Or does the QVL only represent what they actually test?

Roliath: I updated the X58 bios, no difference. I'll try the 285 again. I'm not overclocked, everything is stock, ram is on XMP 1, everything is auto. I was going to start OCing but I wanted to get this straightened out first after my 480 purchase. This all started after the 480, but I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence.

I ran Memtest 86+ 4.10, I have a standalone CD of it. The problem is not the OS, the problem exists before I even get to the OS. It shows only 4GB in the BIOS and when it happened and I ran Memtest, it showed all 3 modules on the bottom (SPD) but only showed 4GB in the test up top!

I can literally turn it on cold, go into the bios before the OS, look and have it show 6GB, then exit the bios, reboot, press DEL, go into the bios again and have it show 4GB. Every reboot after that will be 4GB, sometimes 2GB. I'll never get 6GB again unless I power off.

It's almost as if the 480 is randomly taking my ram.....

frenchy2k1
07-15-10, 12:46 PM
can you push voltages for your RAM and your CPU memory controller? Adding the 480GTX may have increase the load enough on your power supply to drop your voltages enough to bother your RAM.

Yaboze
07-15-10, 01:26 PM
I can try that, but I have a 1000W PSU.

Yaboze
07-15-10, 04:12 PM
Just checked with the 285, it's still doing it. Checked CPU again, it looks good, the socket looks good (with magnifying glass), no bent pins. Put it all back, carefully. The same.

supra
07-15-10, 07:22 PM
real strange. have u tried testing each stick individually?

supra
07-15-10, 07:25 PM
ignore. double post.

lee63
07-15-10, 07:42 PM
Try setting MCH Strap to DRAM Ratio and then all the way at the bottom of the timings set TRL to +2....lmk if that works.

Yaboze
07-15-10, 08:28 PM
I tried the Strap setting and TRL +2.

Still the same.

As for RAM, I can boot with any single stick in any slot. I ran Memtest on each stick by itself. All is good. The system also passes the Memtest on a cold start with 6GB in Triple Channel.

The system will see 6GB 100% on a cold start and will lose 2GB 100% of the time on a warm reboot. The Bios, Memtest, Windows and even a Linux CD will show 4GB when it happens, and all 3 modules will show as triple channel in any system utilities, like EVGA ELEET or CPUZ. When it goes to 4GB it doesn't even go down to Dual Channel, it stays at Triple. So weird.

I'm getting some other ram (G.SKill) to try tomorrow. Will report back.

supra
07-15-10, 09:27 PM
thats real strange then. hope you get it sorted.

lee63
07-15-10, 09:41 PM
I would get the latest bios for your board then PM jAkUp either here or over at Evga forums, he's very helpful.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't help.

Yaboze
07-17-10, 01:46 PM
[Resolved]

The GSkill Ripjaws came and I installed them. Rebooted several times, all is good. Memtest86 passed. It was the Corsair ram the whole time.

=assassin=
07-17-10, 05:30 PM
I've just had an issue like that with Corsair RAM, but the opposite way round - not detected when cold, but fine when warm after reboot. I've currently sent them back for an RMA.

supra
07-18-10, 04:23 AM
glad your back up and running. :)