PDA

View Full Version : iphone 4 to verizone in jan?

Pages : [1] 2

Maverick123w
07-18-10, 01:39 PM
I'm writing this from my phone so I'm not going to take the time and copy links until I get home but usatoday and bloomberg both reported that the iphone 4 is coming to vzw in jan 2011. Steve jobs also announced yesterday that apple now has a verizon cell tower on campus as well as the at&t they have had for years.

So if this turns out to be true.... who would jump ship to ios? I personally would. As much as I hate the culture of apple... I have wanted an iphone since the second I first saw one.

bacon12
07-18-10, 02:18 PM
When my contract is up in about a year and I can get a new phone I am gonna consider them all. I think a few months to a year after WM7 launches we will be very surprised at the quality of apps because of the awesome dev support.

MS is very good at that and we will be amazed. I am not gonna count them out at this point.

nekrosoft13
07-18-10, 03:00 PM
i wouldn't, my next phone will be android powered by either samsung or HTC.

nrdstrm
07-18-10, 03:51 PM
I will probably stick with Android. I can't upgrade until NEXT summer anyway. By that time iPhone 5 will probably be out. Unless there is something groundbreaking in the iPhone 5, it will be Android....

six_storm
07-18-10, 10:58 PM
Sticking with Droid here.

Shamrock
07-19-10, 10:39 PM
I thought iPhone was AT&T exclusive until Jan 2012?

betterdan
07-19-10, 10:46 PM
I think they got around not being able to carry it by renaming their company to Verizone...

Bearclaw
07-19-10, 10:57 PM
Another article, more rumors.... I'll believe it when I see it... and when I see it I will switch.

betterdan
07-19-10, 11:16 PM
When you switch then I'll believe it and I'll see you... with bob.

Bearclaw
07-20-10, 12:02 AM
I would switch in a second if Verizon had it. Granted I hate CDMA and it's ageless ****, but I get at least 5-6 failed calls a day. It sucks. I can't rely on it as a phone.

ViN86
07-20-10, 01:11 AM
Why do you hate CDMA? I mean there are pro's and con's for CDMA vs. GSM.

Before Froyo, I'd say I would definitely get an iPhone. But with the Droid X and Froyo, no thanks. :D

Bearclaw
07-20-10, 01:25 AM
CDMA simply doesn't show anything for it. GSM is is adopted by roughly 85% of the world, it's the dominating standard everywhere EXCEPT the and the ability to simply switch out a sim card when I travel overseas makes it worth it. CDMA is dominant in only the US and the fact it doesn't use SIM cards pisses me off.

nrdstrm
07-20-10, 01:35 AM

Before Froyo, I'd say I would definitely get an iPhone. But with the Droid X and Froyo, no thanks. :D

Droid X doesn't have Froyo. Rumor is it will get it in August. Based on rumors for the Droid, I would guess Sept/Oct. But you never know I guess. Also, if Cyanogen is successful in rooting the X, then it will get 2.2 shortly after that happens...

As to CDMA, I would hate it too if I traveled outside of the US, but since I don't, it's not an issue at all for me. This will also be rectified with VZW 4G phones (when they come out)...

Maverick123w
07-20-10, 12:53 PM
CDMA simply doesn't show anything for it. GSM is is adopted by roughly 85% of the world, it's the dominating standard everywhere EXCEPT the and the ability to simply switch out a sim card when I travel overseas makes it worth it. CDMA is dominant in only the US and the fact it doesn't use SIM cards pisses me off.

If the iphone really launches for big red in jan it will be an LTE phone not CDMA. Since LTE is based on GSM it will also have a SIM card.

Redeemed
07-20-10, 01:01 PM
Long gone are the days where a phone is.... a phone. :lol: :(

nekrosoft13
07-20-10, 01:05 PM

CDMA is useless, once a year I go to Europe, its nice to switch out sim card for Orange pay as you go card and still use your phone.

ViN86
07-20-10, 01:47 PM
Droid X doesn't have Froyo. Rumor is it will get it in August. Based on rumors for the Droid, I would guess Sept/Oct. But you never know I guess. Also, if Cyanogen is successful in rooting the X, then it will get 2.2 shortly after that happens...

As to CDMA, I would hate it too if I traveled outside of the US, but since I don't, it's not an issue at all for me. This will also be rectified with VZW 4G phones (when they come out)...

And iPhone4 won't come til January. What's your point? Droid X will have Froyo. That's all I care about.

CDMA is useless, once a year I go to Europe, its nice to switch out sim card for Orange pay as you go card and still use your phone.

Sure nekro, but what about the 99.9% of Americans that don't leave the country. :lol:

At the end of the day, I get good coverage with Verizon, and they're CDMA, so I have CDMA. :o

Bearclaw
07-20-10, 02:05 PM
If the iphone really launches for big red in jan it will be an LTE phone not CDMA. Since LTE is based on GSM it will also have a SIM card.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Thanks. :)

ViN86
07-20-10, 02:25 PM
Interesting if it will be LTE considering AT&T claims that "decent [LTE] handsets" won't be feasible until 2012.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/atandt-says-verizons-first-lte-phone-is-going-to-be-a-fat-brick/

For starters, AT&T's CTO John Donovan claimed that Verizon was jumping the gun with its first-on-the-scene LTE rollout, suggesting initial devices are "going to drain the battery like crazy, and [they're] going to be a fat brick," noting that "2012 will be the time when you'll have decent handsets."

Maverick123w
07-20-10, 02:43 PM
Interesting if it will be LTE considering AT&T claims that "decent [LTE] handsets" won't be feasible until 2012.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/atandt-says-verizons-first-lte-phone-is-going-to-be-a-fat-brick/

AT&T may not have any... but Verizon's 4G coverage will most likely be greater than AT&t's 3G coverage by winter 2011 so I suspect Verizon will have decent phones for LTE :D

AT&T has dropped the ball on coverage big time.

ViN86
07-20-10, 03:16 PM
I know a lot of people with AT&T here in Boston and they all get ****ty coverage, drop calls all the time, and their data speeds are ****.

Bearclaw
07-20-10, 03:28 PM
My data speed with AT&T is great but I just can't make a call. It sucks. I rarely do make calls but when I do I can't.

nrdstrm
07-20-10, 04:21 PM
And iPhone4 won't come til January. What's your point? Droid X will have Froyo. That's all I care about.

Sure nekro, but what about the 99.9% of Americans that don't leave the country. :lol:

At the end of the day, I get good coverage with Verizon, and they're CDMA, so I have CDMA. :o

No "point". I was just clarifying so that other readers wouldn't read your statement and think the X has 2.2 on it currently (which is how your post made it sound to me). No sense in getting people excited for something that is not here yet is all...

ViN86
07-20-10, 04:52 PM
No "point". I was just clarifying so that other readers wouldn't read your statement and think the X has 2.2 on it currently (which is how your post made it sound to me). No sense in getting people excited for something that is not here yet is all...

But they should be excited :D

lol

Bearclaw
07-20-10, 05:19 PM
I have a dream.... One day I will be able to call someone using AT&T!