PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion on CrossFireX and SLI?

Kain
07-18-10, 01:11 PM
Please vote in the poll.

bob saget
07-18-10, 01:21 PM
The problem with SLi or with CrossfireX is that you don't double the performance with two cards, or triple the performance with three. I may be incorrect, and anyone correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that every card you add "helps you out" less and less.

The decision comes down to personal choice, if you have the money, and one 480 or 5970 is not enough, the only way to increase performance is add another one.

Would I personally add a second card for a performance gain of less than %100, no. I am very pleased with what I have now.

Bah!
07-18-10, 07:21 PM
The problem with SLi or with CrossfireX is that you don't double the performance with two cards, or triple the performance with three. I may be incorrect, and anyone correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that every card you add "helps you out" less and less.

While you are right that scaling isn't 100% all of the time, it can and does get close to that in many games.

The biggest issue with SLI in my eyes is that it's still not as polished as a single card solution. There are still plenty of games that don't play nice with SLI, and there are even others that have bugs or other issues not present when you use just a single card.

After my 295 I swore I'd never do SLI again. That lasted about a week after I got my first 480. Now I have a much better opinion of SLI, but I still won't ever do "low end" SLI again, due to the aforementioned issues.

snowmanwithahat
07-18-10, 10:04 PM
I haven't really used either... but I do have to say that SLI from what I've seen scales far better than crossfire in the 2-card space and used to much more in the 3-card area too... recently crossfire has been catching up though

wheeljack12
07-19-10, 12:15 AM
I have had both. and amd/ati as usual makes good hardware put still years later lacks in the software driver dept for even single cards. I have had crossfire with the 2900xt, 4870x2 in quad xfire and two 5970's in quad xfire. Every time, I felt like no one wanted to program for the damn cards because of so many driver bugs that would stop me from playing a game. I have had 6800 ultras, 7800 and 7900 gtx, gtx 295 in quad sli and gtx 480's in sli. And with sli, it seems that game programmers love nvidia cards more imo with almost no driver bugs from my experience.

Viral
07-19-10, 12:58 AM
Good enough for total high end performance-at-all-costs, stupid for anything else.

newparad1gm
07-19-10, 09:17 AM
Necessary if you want to do 3D Vision Surround, but then again, using a single card for something like that wouldn't be up to snuff performance-wise anyways.

Crossfire isn't necessary for Eyefinity though, although you have to use a DisplayPort adapter, so there are some trade-offs.

And apparently, SLI GTX 460s is the best high-performance deal right now. You get faster than single GTX 480 performance for less noise and price.

HYBRID
07-19-10, 09:31 AM
I'll chime in with the following and I have used both, its my conclusion in both of the currents states be it green or red that scaling has gotten better but not enough to justify the cost, heat and power draw and the nonsense regarding drivers.

I will always buy the best avialable single card.

Madpistol
07-19-10, 09:46 AM
I've always bought single card solutions, but both technologies have their place in the industry. I do wish that support for it was a little better, even if it has gotten better over time.

snowmanwithahat
07-19-10, 10:17 AM
I will always buy the best avialable single card.

I agree and certainly think its the perfect strategy in most situations.... but I question the ability of my 470 for example powering games like Metro 2033 at 30" resolutions. I think the only time you can really justify SLI is at those super-high resolutions.

darkrider01
07-19-10, 11:42 AM
I'm currently using both, and found they both work just fine. Use Nhancer for SLi, use RadeonPro for Crossfire. nVidia gets a +1 because they will let you modify game profiles in the driver, whereas for Crossfire, you need RadeonPro to do it.

As far as "worth it", that's subject to your desires. Both options are great for upgrade paths, or as current high-end machines.

Just think about it - before SLi and Crossfire came along, the only option as an upgrade was to buy a new generation card. With Sli and Crossfire, you can buy a second last generation card and often get very close to or higher then a current gen setup, for less money.

My usual MO is that I buy the top of the line single card for the current generation - then I upgrade when a single card comes out that is faster than my current card in SLi/Crossfire. My previous card was a GTX 280 FTW - my 5970 is supposed to be faster than 2 x GTX 280's in SLi. My card before that was an 8800GTX, the GTX 280 was faster than 2 x 8800GTX's in SLi.

That's just how I roll :)

lduguay
07-19-10, 02:22 PM
Good enough for total high end performance-at-all-costs, stupid for anything else.

Well I might be stupid, but I game on a 30in monitor. A single 480GTX is not enough for most games I play.

newparad1gm
07-19-10, 02:35 PM
Well I might be stupid, but I game on a 30in monitor. A single 480GTX is not enough for most games I play.

Well, the original quote was "Good enough for total high end performance-at-all-costs, stupid for anything else."

Gaming on a 30inch monitor itself is considered "total high end" most likely. Hence why you need SLI.

zoomy942
07-19-10, 03:04 PM
i had 6600gt's SLI'd once and i loved it.

dam i'm old

Bearclaw
07-19-10, 03:08 PM
I have wanted to try SLi for the longest time. I think I finally might try it with 465's.

john19055
07-19-10, 04:46 PM
They are both great cards ,I had a pair of Gigabyte HD 5870 in C.F. and it ran all my games just fine.But I have always like nvidia better IMO I think SLI scales just a little better ,plus I like nvidia control pannel a lot better.So when I found MSI GTX 470 on sale for $279.99 with a free game and free shipping ,I just bought two.If you run them at default then the HD5870 C.F is the fastest in most games.But once you set the MSI GTX 470 to 775/3800 then the GTX 470 in SLI is faster in most games.You really can't go wrong which ever card you choose.

ragejg
07-19-10, 05:43 PM
When Crossfire catches up to SLI in scaling I'll become more interested as it'll create more competition regarding multi-GPU than there already is.

fasedww
07-20-10, 04:11 PM
I like them both, Some games ATI Like, Some Nvidia Like, Thats why I've got ATI Computer, and a Nvidia computer.:)

Blacklash
07-21-10, 02:32 AM
For 3x LCD surround gaming? nVidia SLi all the way.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/20/nvidia_surround_technology_performance_review

Bah!
07-21-10, 03:48 PM
For 3x LCD surround gaming? nVidia SLi all the way.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/20/nvidia_surround_technology_performance_review

Wow...so much for Eyefinity. Surround gaming isn't just faster, it's much faster.

Ristogod
07-21-10, 10:36 PM
Having just come from 5870 Crossfire Eyefinity to GTX 480 SLI Surround, my experience mirrors that which HardOCP reported on in their latest review.

I've tried Crossfire now 3 times and very seldom did I get the results I wanted. This is my stab at SLI, and so far I'm impressed with the scaling and the overall smoothness.

So I voted SLI.

Blacklash
07-23-10, 06:23 AM
Wow...so much for Eyefinity. Surround gaming isn't just faster, it's much faster.

I like [H]ard because they actually >play< the d@mn games when they test cards. In addition, they provide charts that show FPS variations over the course of play.

I believe they used the word "owned" in their conclusion :p

wheeljack12
07-23-10, 08:05 AM
the one engine that would give graphical tearing in no matter what game on 5970 xfire for me was the unreal engine 3. It was one of the most frustrating things when the engine is used so often. This even happened when I went to a single card. Yes, I know there is ati user software out there that would correct it. But how can you make such a hardware/software driver error that big to begin with? With single card gtx 295,sli gtx 295 or gtx 480 sli, the tearing stopped. Just one example why xfire and amd/ati have still have a long way to go at least driver wise. And how long did it take for amd/ati to start doing profiles for xfire while nvidia had been at it for awhile with sli