PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 Multiplayer @ Quakecon

Pages : [1] 2

poursoul
07-24-03, 01:23 PM
From warp2search

Linky (http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13395)

Prepare for Doom 3. id Software and Activision are bringing Doom 3 to QuakeCon 2003. The world’s most legendary multiplayer gaming event will host the first-ever opportunity for fans to play Doom 3 multiplayer. In Dallas at the Adam's Mark Hotel from Aug. 14th – 17th, QuakeCon attendees will go toe-to-toe at the Activision/id Software booth in the ultimate sneak preview of the most anticipated game ever.

QuakeCon attendees will have the chance to play Doom 3's four-player Deathmatch on a level co-developed by id Software and U.K. based developer Splash Damage, Ltd. Splash Damage has most recently worked with id Software on Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and will be co-developing Doom 3's multiplayer levels.

"What better way to celebrate QuakeCon than to unveil to our fans a preview of Doom 3 multiplayer," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "While everyone knows that Doom 3 is the most terrifying and scary single player experience ever created, multiplayer delivers the intense competitive action that our fans can count on. It's a natural to debut the Doom 3 multiplayer experience at QuakeCon, the world's preeminent fan-based multiplayer gaming event."

To anyone who has ever said that DOOM3 wouldn't have multiplayer, i say BAH!

The Baron
07-24-03, 01:42 PM
Note to self:

Get to QuakeCon.

GlowStick
07-24-03, 01:43 PM
omg, roadtrip to texas!

rokzy
07-24-03, 04:00 PM
Prepare for Doom 3? you mean prepare for the wait? :rolleyes:

CaptNKILL
07-24-03, 11:06 PM
I dont know whats so interesting about Doom 3 multiplayer....

Oooo now I can play online with ALL THREE OF THE PEOPLE WHO CAN RUN THE GAME ABOVE 30FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

... jokes aside, the MP isnt going to be anything special. Heck, I dont think the SP is going to be either, it just has cool looking graphics.

I think the id software guys should have spent less time driving their Ferraris and more time on the game, then they wouldnt have had to set it back another 6 months.

GlowStick
07-25-03, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
I dont know whats so interesting about Doom 3 multiplayer....

Oooo now I can play online with ALL THREE OF THE PEOPLE WHO CAN RUN THE GAME ABOVE 30FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

... jokes aside, the MP isnt going to be anything special. Heck, I dont think the SP is going to be either, it just has cool looking graphics.

I think the id software guys should have spent less time driving their Ferraris and more time on the game, then they wouldnt have had to set it back another 6 months.

Actually though JC dose have a lamborgini, i think he drives an old honda to work.

silence
07-25-03, 01:51 AM
hmmmm....4 players in multi....maybe they didn't want to put too many players in multi,so ppl can admire great shadows while they play instead of just looking to shoot each other??

heh...couldn't resist saying that....4 players multi would be great IF there is some sort of co-op mode in Doom 3, that would rock, going through that game with ur m8s, but deathmatch or CTF with 4 ppl?????...dunno.....

let's wait and see, but i am little bit sceptical about this....

Pafet
07-25-03, 05:25 AM
co-op would be nice but I'm not sure they will all fit through those tight corridors :D

poursoul
07-25-03, 06:21 AM
what i'm looking forward to is an actual demo coming out of this. you know..... not *cough* alpha *cough* stuff. i'm talking final game engine, no real big bugs, graphics that actually look like the screenies we've been seeing these past few months. can't anyone else just be excited with me about that?

silence
07-25-03, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Pafet
co-op would be nice but I'm not sure they will all fit through those tight corridors :D

lol....thing is, i simply don't see really exciting multi with only 4 players.....co-op would be great:cool:

GlowStick
07-25-03, 10:09 AM
Co-op would be great, but for some reason Id has their heart on just recreaitng doom but with better graphics, seems a bit flawed to me, too nostalgic.

rokzy
07-25-03, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by silence
hmmmm....4 players in multi....maybe they didn't want to put too many players in multi,so ppl can admire great shadows while they play instead of just looking to shoot each other?

haha and Kyle will STILL be saying "this is a FPS, the lower nvidia IQ is irrelevant because you don't stop to look around" :)

rokzy
07-25-03, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Co-op would be great, but for some reason Id has their heart on just recreaitng doom but with better graphics, seems a bit flawed to me, too nostalgic.

all id care about is making an engine they can license to make money off.

Quake 3 was a crap "game", just a tech demo with punch-the-monkey-style gameplay.

with Doom 3 they say they're making an effort to make a great SP experience, but it still seems like they're doing the minimum required. I think the HL2 video defleted their hype and now it will take more than a bit of DX9 to impress people. hence the massive delay to do a bit more than the bare minimum.

Pafet
07-25-03, 07:33 PM
You guys are missing the point... DOOM3 is about the mood and atmosphere, not a compicated plot and charecter conflicts :rolleyes:

I really hope you guys won't dissapoint when HL2 comes out after what y'all made of it

I'm sure I'll enjoy them both but in a totally different way

and about DOOM3 co-op remark, I was serious. It'll be a blood bath

silence
07-26-03, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by rokzy

Quake 3 was a crap "game", just a tech demo with punch-the-monkey-style gameplay.

with Doom 3 they say they're making an effort to make a great SP experience, but it still seems like they're doing the minimum required. I think the HL2 video defleted their hype and now it will take more than a bit of DX9 to impress people. hence the massive delay to do a bit more than the bare minimum.

i agree with this.....all this hype about Doom 3 and u never heard them saying "it's gonna have great story that will totally get u into game"...all we hear is that Doom 3 will have best graphics ever, that shadows will rule, that gfx this, gfx that.......

not that i won't play it, but i am not that much hyped about it. i like nice story line in game, when there is something to discover when you dig into the game, i like when there is plot that keep you thinking "damn, what will happen on next level" or "why this" and i think HL2 will have that.....while Doom 3 won't.

Doom 3 might end up something like Unreal 2..........do u remember story from Unreal 2?i don't, but i do remember original HL story damn well......

elusive
07-29-03, 06:05 AM

shutup you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

everything you say is speculation.

come back when you know what you're talking about, ok? ok....

all id cares about is making money. LOL ok I don't know where the **** you got this information, but nice speculation.

I could make up much much better things about id than you.

and since when do games come out ON TIME?

wtf more SPECULATION on your part by saying "omg id software saw HL2 and went back to the drawing boards"
LOL man you are on a ROLL today.
yeah, did carmack tel lyou that himself?

last time i checked, games are always delayed.

it's not like they can just "go back in and redo some things"

keep trying tho, one day maybe youll actually post a FACT!

Flibbled: do not circumvent the swear filter, it is there for a reason. And show respect to other users.

poursoul
07-29-03, 06:57 AM
I think the HL2 video defleted their hype and now it will take more than a bit of DX9 to impress people. hence the massive delay to do a bit more than the bare minimum.

See the first two words elusive? I believe they are "I think" that means it is his own personal opinion. Now, rethink what you have said, i demand it. lol

all id cares about is making money. LOL ok I don't know where the ufck you got this information, but nice speculation.

I love the carmack as much as the next geek, but come on. I'll tell you where the ufck he got that info, common ufcking sense.

BTW: Welcome to the forums.

sytaylor
07-29-03, 07:12 AM

Are you one of those types who won't buy a film that more than 10 people have seen? I have to ask because that remark even WITH retrospect is profoundly mistaken.

Crap "game"? The game pulled together all kinds of previously unimagined types of gameplay. It was a liberation from the quake 2 style constrictions.. Sure better games came latter, but the majority were based on things learned from Quake 3 or on the engine itself.

vampireuk
07-29-03, 07:21 AM
I quite like Quake 3 myself, it passes time rather well.

Movies with less than 10 people that have seen them?:eek: Must be french:angel:

elusive
07-29-03, 07:50 AM
...maybe you watch too many mainstream movies with no sign of plot in sight.

elusive
07-29-03, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by poursoul
See the first two words elusive? I believe they are "I think" that means it is his own personal opinion.

re-read my post, and look at the post i quoted him on.

kthx

vampireuk
07-29-03, 07:53 AM
Elusive please do not carry on posting in this fashion. You will show respect to other members here.

elusive
07-29-03, 07:59 AM
Oh, and quake 3?

Ok, we have everyone who is quite "tired" of the whole FPS scene, and the storylines suck right?

So why would ID want to make ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE when they could try a lil different route and do what they did with the multiplayer issue.

i liked it, im a big quake3 fan, and it has spawned some great games based on the engine.

and WHO THE **** keeps saying "id doesnt make games, they makeengines"

that is the stupiest thing i have ever heard.

lets see,

doom2, storyline was there and it rocked and scared the crap out of me

quake1 - first 3d game ever...storyline wasnt really there, but it was the 1st 3d game ever

quake2 - awesome storyline

quake3 - multiplayer game - no storyline

its not like they have a bad history of storylines or anything,

whatever, i love hearing people argue between HL2 and D3 when these people are going by personal preference and have no real idea what they are talking about.

people are still talking about quake3, and the engine is still in use, and it's quite an old game by todays standards.

poursoul
07-29-03, 09:06 AM
Oh, and quake 3?

Ok, we have everyone who is quite "tired" of the whole FPS scene, and the storylines suck right?

---- now you're speaking for everyone and not your own oppinion.

So why would ID want to make ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE when they could try a lil different route and do what they did with the multiplayer issue.

---- you have a point here.

i liked it, im a big quake3 fan, and it has spawned some great games based on the engine.

---- got another point here.

and WHO THE **** keeps saying "id doesnt make games, they makeengines"

---- appearently that was rokzy, but like he pointed out that is not all of our oppinions.

that is the stupiest thing i have ever heard.

---- Not necessarily, they do seem to be really good at making well built game engines, so there is a point there.

lets see,

doom2, storyline was there and it rocked and scared the crap out of me

---- cool

quake1 - first 3d game ever...storyline wasnt really there, but it was the 1st 3d game ever

---- no, it wasn't.

quake2 - awesome storyline

---- cool

quake3 - multiplayer game - no storyline

---- Yes, there was. Did you buy the game or just DL it.... figures.

its not like they have a bad history of storylines or anything,

whatever, i love hearing people argue between HL2 and D3 when these people are going by personal preference and have no real idea what they are talking about.

---- My point exactly, imo i'm looking forward to Doom [l] because it's iD's baby, and i like them so far.

people are still talking about quake3, and the engine is still in use, and it's quite an old game by todays standards.

I don't really get you.....

Then again, i kinda do.....

elusive
07-29-03, 09:48 AM
[h] forums
search the video card thread for "doom ]|[ thread to end all doom 3 threads"

heh that is my ultimate rant
and eventually got my banned (no reason as to WHY) as many ppl posted afterwards, wanting to know why i was banned for it.

oh well, its a good read (except i was drunk and said "f*ck" about 100 times :p

i thought quake1 was the first FPS with a z-buffer implemented, thus being the 1st 3d fps out?