PDA

View Full Version : StarCraft 2 question from NVIDIA

Rollo
07-28-10, 06:43 PM
""NVIDIA's override anti-aliasing for StarCraft 2 applies AA to the entire scene, including HUD elements. Do you believe AA improves image quality on the StarCraft 2 HUD elements, or would you prefer it was only applied to the non-HUD elements (which would increase frame rates)?"

Yaboze
07-28-10, 06:53 PM
The HUD probably doesn't need it, IMHO.

I'm running it without AA right now, I don't see what the BFD is.

mailman2
07-28-10, 08:05 PM
I think needed to use an engine that supported AA. Now everyone has to clean up their mess by allowing forced AA from the CP.

Madpistol
07-28-10, 08:38 PM
It doesn't really bother me that AA isn't enabled in SC II.

In fact, I'm loving the fact that this game looks gorgeous AND the framerates are sky high. You just can't beat that combination. :)

3DBrad
07-28-10, 09:55 PM
If the performance hit is less than 10%, I would say apply it to everything (i.e.-10% on an up to date card like 260,280/460,480, etc.).

If someone is spending the time to get anti-aliasing working, I think they shouldn't have to battle aesthetically unpleasing elements to the screen.

K007
07-29-10, 05:27 AM
it only sucks during the cut scenes when the jaggies stand out...

tho would be nice to have atleast 2xAA.........

also wasn't the game supposed to have dx10 support?

saturnotaku
07-29-10, 05:46 AM
I don't understand why someone directly from NVIDIA doesn't register here and ask people instead of channeling these questions through an intermediary. Posting on forums clearly is not against company policy because members of their Linux development team post on this very board all the time.

jlippo
07-29-10, 05:50 AM
also wasn't the game supposed to have dx10 support?
Nope, dx9 only.
Although it is probable that they will add DX11 support like they did with WoW.
""NVIDIA's override anti-aliasing for StarCraft 2 applies AA to the entire scene, including HUD elements. Do you believe AA improves image quality on the StarCraft 2 HUD elements, or would you prefer it was only applied to the non-HUD elements (which would increase frame rates)?"
I prefer the full AA currently used, but if you find a way only to apply the AA only to the character portrays it would be fine as well.

K007
07-29-10, 06:23 AM
wow has dx11 now? what O.o

rap1d^
07-29-10, 06:32 AM
wow has dx11 now? what O.o

PCGH (http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,763173/World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Experimental-DirectX-11-support/Practice/)

Can't say it makes a huge difference

Yaboze
07-29-10, 12:28 PM
WoW will have DX11 with Cataclysm (expansion due this fall).

It probably won't look that much different.

Bah!
07-30-10, 02:08 AM
The HUD probably doesn't need it, IMHO.

I'm running it without AA right now, I don't see what the BFD is.

The big deal is that it's ugly without AA, like most games. It's 2010 people, AA should be a mandatory feature in every PC game. It's ridiculous that games ship without it.

The HUD doesn't need AA, but the 3D character portraits do and since they are probably linked to the HUD somehow, I vote for keeping AA on the entire screen.

jlippo
07-30-10, 05:14 AM
PCGH (http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,763173/World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Experimental-DirectX-11-support/Practice/)

Can't say it makes a huge difference
Sadly we do not know what the performance difference is, but I would expect a nice boost. :)