PDA

View Full Version : Silly steamapps question.

Albo
07-29-10, 05:20 PM
I had Windows 7 x86, before. And I decided to do a reinstall, because I was having numerous problems. I decided to go with x64 this time, and I installed steam, and I just copied my steamapps folder on a hard drive, external. Then I pasted them on my new install.
CSS is crashing for me, and I was wondering if this had anything to do with the different operating systems? Would the game files change? Or do all steam games install in x86 or something?

Redeemed
07-29-10, 05:23 PM
I had Windows 7 x86, before. And I decided to do a reinstall, because I was having numerous problems. I decided to go with x64 this time, and I installed steam, and I just copied my steamapps folder on a hard drive, external. Then I pasted them on my new install.
CSS is crashing for me, and I was wondering if this had anything to do with the different operating systems? Would the game files change? Or do all steam games install in x86 or something?

Yeah...

Right click on the the CS:S game in your steam library screen. Go down to and select properties. Click on local files tab, then on "Verify integrity of game cache". Let it do it's thing and see if that fixes it. :)

I think you'll likely have to uninstall and re-install CS:S though- since you went from 32-bit to 64.

Albo
07-29-10, 05:38 PM
I'm just going to reinstall. Deleted local content, and the CS Source folder. 62 % already. Shaweet.

ViN86
07-29-10, 06:08 PM
Yea the source engine supports 64-bit.

Albo
07-29-10, 06:10 PM
Yea the source engine supports 64-bit.

So should I delete all my games, and reinstall them all?

ViN86
07-29-10, 06:36 PM
So should I delete all my games, and reinstall them all?

Nah, just source engine games.

Albo
07-29-10, 06:41 PM
I reinstalled CSS, it reset all my stats and achievements. Then it crashed in the middle of the game. Nothing has changed, except now, I have no stats.

What tool can I use to see the crash dump files?

ViN86
07-29-10, 07:42 PM
Why do you have so many problems? :lol:

bob saget
07-29-10, 07:58 PM
i stopped caring for the steam achievements cause i had a ton of L4D2 ones, and they all got deleted.

Albo
07-29-10, 08:18 PM
Why do you have so many problems? :lol:

IDK? :p

Um, the culprit was my Overclock. I need to get better cooling. Is that the only way? Without the OC, my game runs fine, with it, it crashes. I'm pretty sure it gets too hot, because If I start my PC in the morning and play, I can play for a good 30 minutes, but at night, when PC has been on the whole day, I can only play 5 minutes, MAX. So is there anything I can do?

bob saget
07-29-10, 09:27 PM
get a new cooler, take overclocks off. first test the temperature though under stress.....

ViN86
07-29-10, 09:43 PM
IDK? :p

Um, the culprit was my Overclock. I need to get better cooling. Is that the only way? Without the OC, my game runs fine, with it, it crashes. I'm pretty sure it gets too hot, because If I start my PC in the morning and play, I can play for a good 30 minutes, but at night, when PC has been on the whole day, I can only play 5 minutes, MAX. So is there anything I can do?

Well what are your temps? You may just need more voltage.

Viral
07-30-10, 12:56 AM
What games do you play that need your system overclocked to achieve a playable frame rate. If the answer is none, do what I did and stop overclocking.

*PS, ignore my sig :p