PDA

View Full Version : WD 1TB Green Drive... DEAD

Pages : [1] 2

ViN86
07-30-10, 09:11 AM
So the drive started slowing down (poor performance), then I got a message from my BIOS that the drive was performing poorly. It would randomly disconnect from windows. I checked SMART and it said the drive was poor and it should be replaced.

Dumb thing, I have only had it 18 months. Hopefully I can get it started to get my data off of it. Looks like I am going to lose my 600GB of data on it...

So, I need to buy a new drive, I am thinking about this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136534

What do you guys think? I don't want to spend more than $80...

betterdan
07-30-10, 09:26 AM
That's why it's green, it dies early and saves electricity to save the environment. Congratulations on saving the world, sir. (salute)

ViN86
07-30-10, 09:31 AM
I will fix that when I douse it in motor oil and set it on fire.

Bearclaw
07-30-10, 09:34 AM
I had the same drive and it died within a few months. :headexplode:

ViN86
07-30-10, 09:45 AM
I had the same drive and it died within a few months. :headexplode:

You think it's just the fact that the green drives are cheap? Maybe a blue drive would do better?

Maverick123w
07-30-10, 10:08 AM
I personally wouldn't buy a green drive not matter what. It's not like the blues are really that much more expensive.

ViN86
07-30-10, 10:12 AM
Yea, turns out that blue drive I posted is $65 after you enter a $10 off promo code at NewEgg. I am going to buy the blue drive.

The dead green drive is probably under warranty, but I had some tax documents and stuff on that drive, and I refuse to RMA it.

betterdan
07-30-10, 10:33 AM
I will fix that when I douse it in motor oil and set it on fire.

:lol:

Q
07-30-10, 11:15 AM
I've always wondered about the lifespan of variable speed drives. I would changing speeds and parking the heads would shorten the lifespan.

wwec
07-30-10, 11:40 AM
Where's the backups you loon!

:bleh:

ViN86
07-30-10, 11:55 AM
Ok, I just booted my desktop again, and now it says the drive is fine and SMART is giving good readings...

Is it possible it's a bad SATA controller on my motherboard? This is confusing...

Where's the backups you loon!

:bleh:

Poor people don't have backups. :lol:

Redeemed
07-30-10, 12:00 PM
Ok, I just booted my desktop again, and now it says the drive is fine and SMART is giving good readings...

Is it possible it's a bad SATA controller on my motherboard? This is confusing...

Poor people don't have backups. :lol:

I'd not risk it if this is valuable information that you cannot get back.

Do you have any other drives you could copy your data to- at least temporarily?

ViN86
07-30-10, 12:02 PM
I'd not risk it if this is valuable information that you cannot get back.

Do you have any other drives you could copy your data to- at least temporarily?

Yea I have a 150GB drive I can move the most important stuff over to. I'm doing it now.

This is really strange though. Maybe it is the drive controller. :confused:

Redeemed
07-30-10, 12:05 PM
Yea I have a 150GB drive I can move the most important stuff over to. I'm doing it now.

This is really strange though. Maybe it is the drive controller. :confused:

That is 100% possible. I had one of the TB Green drives, wound up giving it to my best friend as all his computers (running like a 6+ yr old XP install) we're starting to act up and he needed something to backup all of his data on. To the best of my knowledge that drive works fine to this day.

Do you have another desktop you could try the drive in? Run some surface scans and such?

ViN86
07-30-10, 12:06 PM
That is % possible. I had one of the TB Green drives, wound up giving it to my best friend as all his computers (running like a 6+ yr old XP install) we're starting to act up and he needed something to backup all of his data on. To the best of my knowledge that drive works fine to this day.

Do you have another desktop you could try the drive in? Run some surface scans and such?

No, I don't. Maybe I will buy a $10 external enclosure and test it via USB on my laptop.

Redeemed
07-30-10, 12:09 PM
No, I don't. Maybe I will buy a $10 external enclosure and test it via USB on my laptop.

That'd work. Doesn't even have to be an enclosure- just one of those adapters would work. Simply need to see if the drive is good or not.

ViN86
07-30-10, 12:28 PM
Maybe my motherboard can't handle the overclock? You think that could affect my drive controller? It may if it's on the northbridge (is it lol, I forget).

Redeemed
07-30-10, 12:31 PM
Maybe my motherboard can't handle the overclock? You think that could affect my drive controller? It may if it's on the northbridge (is it lol, I forget).

What is leading you to suspect the over clock?

One thing I've learned about computers is that they can do very random and unexplainable things some times. Not too long ago a video card in one of my dad's office computers went out, and fried his monitor at the same time. I'd never heard of that happening till then, and neither did his technician. :lol:

I would imagine, however, that if the OC is too high it might cause the mobo to start acting funny. Once you have your critical data backed up, dropped it down to stock speeds and see how long it remains stable with that drive. Give it a good couple days- maybe even a week. Try using that drive as much as you can. If it remains rock solid, slowly start upping the clock speed. Once it becomes unstable (if it ever does), drop it back down and see if it's stable.

Sounds time consuming to me but might be worth it... could save you from having to buy a new drive. :)

ViN86
07-30-10, 12:40 PM
What is leading you to suspect the over clock?

One thing I've learned about computers is that they can do very random and unexplainable things some times. Not too long ago a video card in one of my dad's office computers went out, and fried his monitor at the same time. I'd never heard of that happening till then, and neither did his technician. :lol:

I would imagine, however, that if the OC is too high it might cause the mobo to start acting funny. Once you have your critical data backed up, dropped it down to stock speeds and see how long it remains stable with that drive. Give it a good couple days- maybe even a week. Try using that drive as much as you can. If it remains rock solid, slowly start upping the clock speed. Once it becomes unstable (if it ever does), drop it back down and see if it's stable.

Sounds time consuming to me but might be worth it... could save you from having to buy a new drive. :)
Yea. I would suspect the OC because I am OC'ing the FSB. Maybe the board needs an RMA.

I will try it out at stock speeds for a while and see how it does. To be honest this board has always acted funny with the drive controller. I am still backing up like crazy atm though lol.

Bearclaw
07-30-10, 12:52 PM
You think it's just the fact that the green drives are cheap? Maybe a blue drive would do better?

I do. I stay away from those green drives now. :)

logan
07-30-10, 01:19 PM
I have a 1TB Seagate drive (one of the problematic firmware drives) that's half-dead. After it sits idle for a few hours or days I can usually hook it back up and read/write data from/to it, then it dies again. I suspect it's overheating (possibly far past operational at one point in the past), maybe you've got the same problem too. Toss it in the freezer for a few hours, then hook it up and copy as much as you can as fast as you can.

I run a 4 disk raid5 at home with 3 rotating drives for backups/cold spares, 2 of those are in a safe at all times. I'm thinking about building another 4 disk raid5 or migrating to an 8 disk raid6 and adding even more backup drives to handle the additional segment. I'm gonna need a bigger safe... :P

Seagate, Samsung, WD, Hitachi, green, blue, black. Hard drives are hard drives, they can all have problems. To my knowledge, Green drives don't have a higher failure rate than anything else. WD had some firmware problems with one of their earlier lines, but I haven't heard of any widespread problems since. Do any drive manufacturers publish failure rates of their different models? (I'm thinking about buying some WD20EADS or WD20EARS drives for larger capacity backups.)

nekrosoft13
07-30-10, 04:24 PM

its a hard drive, they fail, nothing new

ViN86
07-30-10, 04:59 PM
its a hard drive, they fail, nothing new

I know, but my 5 year old 74gb raptor is more reliable than the 1.5 year old drive. :(

nekrosoft13
07-30-10, 09:17 PM
my 10 year old Quantum 20gb still works, just becuase one works it really means nothing.

Muppet
07-31-10, 12:38 AM
RMA that sucker and see if you can get them to change it for a Black or Blue edition. I think WD drives have a five year warranty. That is after you get your files off.