PDA

View Full Version : Less money on high res/poly graphics, more money on art direction?

Ruined
07-24-03, 05:41 PM
After downloading this 3D graphics demo (http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/demos/groups/farb-rausch/fr-025-final2.zip) and running it, I was very surprised - this 8mb demo is probably the best showoff material for my video card (FX5900), and its not because of high resolution textures or special effects, but simply because of excellent art direction. The music fits perfectly with the demo, and despite the lack of massive textures/polys, it ends up (at least in my eyes) being more impressive and enjoyable than the 100mb+ 3dmark demos, or any of the 50mb+ Nvidia/ATI demos available. Why? Because the art direction was great.

So, what do you say about game devs spending less cash on people making the flashiest, highest res textures and highest poly models, and more cash on people that will put lesser assets together to form a much more cohesive, impressive, and innovative graphical experience?

rokzy
07-24-03, 06:35 PM
you seen the animusic demo?

Ruined
07-24-03, 06:46 PM
Animusic is pretty cool (there is actually a whole animusic DVD) but something about the demo I posted above just got me unlike any of ATI, Nvidia's, or Futuremark's demos.

P.S. if you liked animusic be sure to check out the Odyssey DVD series - Odyssey into the Mind's Eye is my favorite, when coupled with Astral Projection's 'In The Mix' CD set for music.

Pafet
07-25-03, 05:18 AM
I saw that fr-025 about a week ago and loved it. I agree with you 100%. They (developers or whoever) got all those creative effects but never use them in games. some of those guys demos are about 40kb and look really nice... I still don't believe it

BTW who are these guys, whats those demos for?
http://www.farb-rausch.com

StealthHawk
07-25-03, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Pafet
I saw that fr-025 about a week ago and loved it. I agree with you 100%. They (developers or whoever) got all those creative effects but never use them in games. some of those guys demos are about 40kb and look really nice... I still don't believe it

BTW who are these guys, whats those demos for?
http://www.farb-rausch.com

They are demos done for coding competitions. You could basically say that they are demoing their coding ability.

Edge
07-25-03, 12:18 PM
Yeah all their demo's are really nice. FR08 was my favorite back in the day. it's 64k and looks as good as 3dmark 2000! It's unbelievable what you can do with the space when you really try. Granted, 3dmark 03 looks nice, but there's no way it's 4,500+ times more advanced then FR08 (which is how much more space it uses!)

sytaylor
07-25-03, 12:28 PM
FR08 is still my favourite that and 11 (or 12 i cant remember) since then theyve all kinda been in tunnels for a bit too much for my liking

digitalwanderer
07-25-03, 12:40 PM
WHEEEE! IT HAS A BENCHMARKING FEATURE!!!!!

33,140! A new benchy tool! :D

Edge
07-25-03, 04:41 PM
Wow, I just downloaded it and it's pretty amazing. I could actually run the demo on a TI4200 with 8XS AA and lvl8 aniso and it was still very smooth! I don't think it even dropped below 20 FPS. I get almost the same performence in Half-life using 4x+9tap AA with lvl8 aniso! God, I wanna put this demo on my 200 mhz just to see how it will run. Looks really cool too.

Oh, but I only got 15927 "pop.stones" :(
Well, time to upgrade my computer so I can run FR025 better :D
Well they said that the benchmark wasn't to be taken seriously anyway. Not like it would really run bad on any modern computer anyway. Hmm...I wonder if ATI and Nvidia are going to start optimising thier drivers for the FR demos :rolleyes: