PDA

View Full Version : TV-out@ geforce 256

cosmo
07-24-03, 08:23 PM
Hey there,

I've got a Suse 7.0 System with a Elsa Erazor X2 (geforce256)

This card does not support twin-view, i know.

is it possible to use this tv-out under linux, or are only twinview cards supported?

CaptNKILL
07-25-03, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by cosmo
Hey there,

I've got a Suse 7.0 System with a Elsa Erazor X2 (geforce256)

This card does not support twin-view, i know.

is it possible to use this tv-out under linux, or are only twinview cards supported?
Is there a TV out connector on the back of the card?

saturnotaku
07-25-03, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Is there a TV out connector on the back of the card?

Yes, the card does have TV-out.

And I think the first post is confusing the terminology. TwinView was NVIDIA's original name for dual monitor support - it had nothing to do with TV-out as that's a separate function entirely.

Dazz
07-25-03, 07:03 AM
Yeah but isn't Twinview and TVout intergrated now?

saturnotaku
07-25-03, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
Yeah but isn't Twinview and TVout intergrated now?

Yeah I think all that's rolled into nView now as in you can use your TV as a secondary display.

cosmo
07-25-03, 11:55 AM
nope twinview is only supported for gf2 or higher. under windows i always had to switch between TV and Monitor

ricercar
07-25-03, 07:10 PM
TwinView has little to do with TV output. TwinView/nView is NVIDIA's manner of implementing dual/multiple displays in software. TV output is one of three hardware display ports supported by NVIDIA GPUs: DVO, analog VGA, and analog TV.

For GeForce DDR/ 256 (NV10) and for GeForce3 (NV20), there is no TwinView/nView support, although these GPUs support TV output with an appropriate Philips or Conextand decoder. For all subsequent NVIDIA GPUs (NV11, 15, 17, 18, 25, 28, 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38), the availability of nView support depends on the OEM implementation of the dual DACs.

NVIDIA GPUs have two DACs, DAC-A and DAC-B. TV out is on DAC B for all NVIDIA GPUs. With one display driven by DAC A (VGA, DVO) then another display can be driven by DAC B (TV, VGA, DVO).

If the OEM puts a display port on DAC A, then that display is usable simultaneously with TV output, as controlled by nView software. If the OEM is stupid and puts all display ports only on DAC B, then those display ports are not usable simultaneously, regardless of the nView software.

saturnotaku
07-25-03, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by ricercar
If the OEM puts a display port on DAC A, then that display is usable simultaneously with TV output, as controlled by nView software. If the OEM is stupid and puts all display ports only on DAC B, then those display ports are not usable simultaneously, regardless of the nView software.

So would that explain why, if I have my laptop hooked up to my TV, if I try to play a movie it will show up on one display but not the other? Like if I want to have the movie play on my TV, I have to set my TV as the primary display, then play it. My laptop screen will be black but it will play fine on the TV and vice versa?

ragejg
07-26-03, 12:59 AM
*me feels divided as to wheter or not this belongs in the linux section... :confused:

ricercar
07-26-03, 04:43 AM
Mods: IMHO this is a NVIDIA hardware discussion, not specific to linux or drivers.

Originally posted by saturnotaku
So would that explain why, if I have my laptop hooked up to my TV, if I try to play a movie it will show up on one display but not the other?

Urg. I can't tell from your description if this is DAC deployment or DVD copy protection. Many laptops have trouble with DVD playback on external SVideo ports because of DVD overlay technology (e.g.: DVD copy protection). For example, certain DVD software makes you have to jump through hoops to display DVD playback full screen on the SVideo port, because the DVD software intentionally thwarts full screen output on the SVideo port.

saturnotaku: If DVD playback causes a display on your laptop SVideo port to act differently than when no DVD is playing, then it's Macrovision's overlay control. If the laptop can never view the external SVideo and internal LCD screen at the same time, it's likely they are both sharing DAC B.

Originally posted by cosmo

To answer the original post, any NVIDIA card without video in should be able to boot to S video and run from a TV regardless of OS. It's only NVIDIA cards with a video input (frequently called VIVO) that i've had trouble booting to a TV.

saturnotaku
07-26-03, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by ricercar
saturnotaku: If DVD playback causes a display on your laptop SVideo port to act differently than when no DVD is playing, then it's Macrovision's overlay control. If the laptop can never view the external SVideo and internal LCD screen at the same time, it's likely they are both sharing DAC B.

Sorry. Should have been more clear. I've never tried DVDs on my TV (cause we have a DVD player for that). I'm talking more about mpeg and Real Player files.

cosmo
07-26-03, 09:49 AM
Ok, when I write two configs, one for monitor and one for TV, i only have to switch the config?

cosmo
07-31-03, 11:39 AM
hmm, I still don't have the answer on my very first question......

how can i tell my graphicard to output on the TV-connector and not to the monitor?

ricercar
07-31-03, 01:46 PM
Have you tried booting with only the TV connected (no VGA connected and no DVI connected)? That usually works for me.

cosmo
08-01-03, 09:12 AM
I'm using nvtv at the moment. worx fine.

next question: how can i go to fullscreen with films. ? Is there a program that automacially changes the screen resolution to fit the TV?