PDA

View Full Version : How i can connect two power supply to my pc?

italy2010
08-02-10, 12:44 PM
hi to all i wanna to know how can i connect two power supply to my system i wanna use two psu plz help to know the method thankz.

MY RIG ::: GIGABYTE GAX58A-UD9 + COREi7 980X 4.2GHZ 168*25 + 12GB 1333 ADATA + 3*ZOTAC GTX480 TRI SLI + 128GB SSD ADATA S599 + 2TB WD blak 64MB + XFI FITALITY + CRATIVE GIGAWORKS + 2*DVD WRITER ASUS + LITEON +DVD READER ASUS + COOLERMASTER FULLTOWER CASE HAFX 942 + COOLERMASTER CPU FAN V8 + 1200 PSU GIGABYTE +HP 2510i 25" 1920*1080 FULL HD.
Thankz to all

wheeljack12
08-02-10, 11:37 PM
I can see where you would need something like that being that you are o/cing the cpu and need 2 8pin cpu connectors. especially if you are overclocking the video cards too. I only use one cpu connector on my mb but I don't overclock. Anyhow, you might want to PM some of the more knowledgeable users here instead posting on the forums if you are needing a fast solution. BTW, did you notice you can't install the hybrid silentpipe and have both 4 pin molex cables in at the same time? I asked gigabyte about this on the ud9 vip website. They told me you only need one molex connected being the one down by the firewire and usb ports. You can confirm this when you register with the ud9 vip site. at the site, you can register your motherboard and then ask questions that will be answered guaranteed because you are a vip with that motherboard according to gigabyte within one day. The 1st question I asked got answered within a 1/2 hour. Mind you, it was middle of the afternoon in taiwan where it was middle of the early morning where I am.

here is the site for the gigabyte ud9 vip club:

http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/193/unlocked-power.htm

frenchy2k1
08-03-10, 07:03 PM
Simple answer: you can't.

Full answer: it is possible, but not advised and slightly dangerous.
On an ATX powersupply, the power on is done by pulling the green cable to 0V. This can be done by shorting the green pin (PS_ON) to any ground on the connector. Be very careful on which pins you short, as shorting the wrong ones can destroy your power supply and/or start a fire.
http://www.smps.us/atx-connector-20-24pin.jpeg

If you just connect both power supplies as needed, you can then start the 2nd one manually using this method and finally turn on your computer.

I would NOT recommend this for daily usage and only with extreme caution for test.

A good single rail 750W PSU can be found for less than $100 and will be much better than even 2 older PSU.

wheeljack12
08-03-10, 09:02 PM
the question I would ask is: does your current psu have a 2nd 8pin cpu connector on it? Because he's using a 1200 watt psu, that's enough for a stock cpu but not a overclocked one unless he has two 8 pin cpu connectors on the current power supply. Because the ud9 has two 8 pin cpu connectors for cpu power for his cpu that in his sig is oc'ed.. I think that is why he wants two power supplies running. Italy, is that why you need two psu's? actually if you wait italy, the evga sr-2 power supply for their sr-2 motherboard will be perfect for you. I want it to go 4 way sli.

italy2010
08-04-10, 01:27 AM
Hi my comrade wheeljack12 yap i have two 8pin cpu connector but my psu work in full load im loocking to buy another one bcz i wanna take another GTX480 quad SLI and to help my 1st psu thankz.((comrade)).

jeffmd
08-04-10, 01:14 PM
Seriously... if you can't afford a single PSU to power all that, then the 2 current PSU's you are trying to use are probably of the crap variety and shouldn't be used either. ^^

XDanger
08-09-10, 08:25 AM
nm, My suggestion is too dangerous.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1170&ID=1544

KasuCode
08-09-10, 03:38 PM
Yea Connecting the PS_On (usually Green) and any COM (Ground) to the other supply's PS_On and Ground Will turn turn your 2nd supply on.

I used two PCP&C 750Watt (1500Watt Total) supply's, one to push my PC The other for the dual 4870X2s back in the day.

You have to be careful using this setup. If one of the supply's fail it could cause serious damage to your system. Make sure to use good quality supply's if you really need the extra power.

wheeljack12
08-14-10, 02:37 PM
italy, here is the power supply for you. It has two 8pin cpu connectors and can do quad sli with 4 gtx 480's. (they show a video on the link page with one sr-2 psu powering a sr-2 motherboard and 4 gtx 480's in 4 way sli) It's evga's classified sr-2 power supply. I just bought one to do the same as you, go quad gtx 480 sli.

here is the link to the power supply:
http://www.evga.com/articles/00564/

and as far as I know, evga ships worldwide from their web store.

shabby
08-14-10, 06:13 PM
Simple answer: you can't.
Full answer: it is possible, but not advised and slightly dangerous.

My antec p190 case has two power supplies running like this, to say you can't do it or its slightly dangerous is nonsense. I've had no power issues with this power supply setup in the last two years.

john19055
08-15-10, 11:21 AM
If you have two DVD drive that are not being used then the Thermaltake Power express 650w works real good ,but you can hook up a regular power supply ,by connecting the green and black wire .I had the Power Express 450watt that fit in one DVD drive and it ran two of my GTX 280's just fine.I don't think they make that one any more but the 650watt one should work great if you have two DVD drive lots empty.

XDanger
08-16-10, 06:31 PM
If you have two DVD drive that are not being used then the Thermaltake Power express 650w works real good ,but you can hook up a regular power supply ,by connecting the green and black wire .I had the Power Express 450watt that fit in one DVD drive and it ran two of my GTX 280's just fine.I don't think they make that one any more but the 650watt one should work great if you have two DVD drive lots empty.

I had some trouble finding the power express range through the TT website by just clicking the product ranges
This made me think they may have pulled them due to the 12v feedback problem?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153070

NOS_fogger's product review

I never had any problems with my 250w though.

wheeljack12
08-24-10, 11:03 PM
italy, just wanted to give you a update. You can technically do 4 way sli with the sr-2 power supply I linked earlier. What antec did (btw, the sr-2 is a rebranded antec true power quattro 1200 watt) is for the last two 6 pin pci-e power connections for 4 way sli is make them linked to the 2 8 pin cpu power connectors connectors on the same 2 wires. In other words, you could connect both cpu connectors but would need 6pin pci express extensions just for the connectors to reach the video cards. I returned my 4th gtx 480 still shrink wrapped for a refund. I can't do the same with the psu as I am not chancing cpu power with pci-e power. I never installed the psu and kept using my corsair ax1200 gold psu in 3 way sli. Try ama technologies, they make a 1500 watt psu that seems to have all the connections for 4 way sli. Can't find it here being the US or Canada. Don't use the silverstone strider 1500 watt. It only has 4 pci-e modular connections for two 300 watt video cards being only two way sli gtx 480. Waste of a power supply.

john19055
08-27-10, 02:38 AM
Iran the thermaltake 450watt on my two GTX 280's for quite a while and never had any problems except the single DVD size of it made it use two 40 mm fans and they got loud .so I just bought a Cooler Master 1100watt so it would handle all my stuff without needing a VGA power suply.But I never had no feed backs of the 12v that I know of .AT least it never burnt up nothing.

DiscipleDOC
08-27-10, 09:51 AM
nm, My suggestion is too dangerous.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1170&ID=1544

:rofl

ricercar
08-28-10, 07:43 PM
If you use two PSUs, ensure all SLI graphics cards are powered from ONE SAME PSU. Timing differences will fry your gfx cards, according to my ex-colleagues at NVIDIA.