PDA

View Full Version : Z0mgflashwtfpewpew!!1one

Atsu~
08-03-10, 03:58 AM
Mkay, so not so sure if this is the right place to post this, and I know the title is inappropriate at best, but hear me out :)

Kay so I bought a new PC a day or so ago, and I've been in tears from frustration.

Specs: Asus motherboard
Intel iCore 3 530 2.9Ghz
4 Gigs DDR III 1333 ram
XFX Geforce 9800 GTX
1 x Sata 80 GB HDD
1 x Sata 750 GB HDD
585 Watt PSU

O/S: Windows XP service pack 2

Problem(S):

The first problem, and probably the worst, is the fact that when I'm playing Assasin's creed it runs smooth and fine, but after about 15min or so, it gets laggy and eventually the game freezes and I have to restart.

The second prob is, I tried to install mass effect, and prototype but both crash as I get into the game. All of the above games are originals and works fine on my brothers pc. Does anyone know wth the problem could be?

At first I thought it was a overheating prob. Yet I monitored my stuffs, the GFx card is running on full load at 69 Celsius and the CPU at 46 which is pretty decent. So now... I are baffled!

Kfanxbye!

Flying_Elbow
08-03-10, 04:48 PM
I would check the RAM with memtest86. Now, a likely response to this suggestion is, "It's brand new RAM!!", and my response to that is, "That is irrelevant."

jcrox
08-03-10, 08:21 PM
Before running memtest check that your memory timings and voltage are set correctly.

saturnotaku
08-03-10, 08:54 PM
Before even doing any of that, make sure you're running Windows XP SP3 with all updates applied.

Atsu~
08-05-10, 03:36 AM
Before running memtest check that your memory timings and voltage are set correctly.

Um... Hardware noob :o Um I've got two 2 x 2 GB DDR 3 1333 ram modules. What should the timings and voltage be set to? Like is there a default value?

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

Atsu~
08-05-10, 03:48 AM
Before even doing any of that, make sure you're running Windows XP SP3 with all updates applied.

I've reinstalled windows with service pack 3 installed, and still no difference. I don't understand it. I installed another Graphics card (8600 GT) and assasins creed ran, but after 10 minutes the game became laggy again.

supra
08-05-10, 03:57 AM
is it always at a certain time or randomly? check your graphics temps.

Atsu~
08-05-10, 04:11 AM
is it always at a certain time or randomly? check your graphics temps.

Its quite randomly. The first time I noticed this was like 20 minutes into the game. Its usually after a couple of minutes tho. It definitely seems like a over heating problem to be honest, but its not. I used RivaTuner to check my temps and its winter here so the temperatures are very decent. Way below the tolerance levels.

Funniest thing is, I got 4 gigs of ram, and windows XP SP 3 is only reading 3 gigs of it. Also the two other games (Mass effect and Prototype) All bomb out with the same error "This program has stopped working, If you were in the middle of something, bla bla bla...

I mean my pc is above spec? Gah... Thanks for posting :)

supra
08-05-10, 06:29 AM
unless ur running 64bit xp 32bit will only see 3.25GB max out of your 4GB.

if you tried with another graphics card and it the same problem it maybe ram or maybe video drivers?

Atsu~
08-05-10, 06:57 AM
unless ur running 64bit xp 32bit will only see 3.25GB max out of your 4GB.

if you tried with another graphics card and it the same problem it maybe ram or maybe video drivers?

Tried several video card drivers I'm starting to think its the ram too, or perhaps the motherboard? CPU? Ugh! lol...

Bman212121
08-05-10, 08:15 AM
Um... Hardware noob :o Um I've got two 2 x 2 GB DDR 3 1333 ram modules. What should the timings and voltage be set to? Like is there a default value?

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

Yes, download this program and see what the JEDEC spec for your ram is.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

If you goto the spd tab you'll see a list of settings the memory is meant to run at.

http://www.cpuid.com/medias/images/en/softwares-cpuz-05.jpg

Take note of frequency and voltage, those are the most important. When you go into your bios make sure that the memory frequency doesn't exceed the highest value in the table. It might not be the highest speed the memory can run at, but for troubleshooting purposes that is perfectly fine. The voltage needs to be at least what the table shows as some memory requires more voltage than normal to operate. The timings should automatically set themselves so I wouldn't worry about those yet.

If you post the exact model of ASUS board I can look up the manual and figure out exactly what they call the settings in the bios.

supra
08-05-10, 10:40 PM
can also try running with just 1 stick of ram and see if that has the same problems as 2 sticks