PDA

View Full Version : Looking to grab an SSD, suggestions?

Sazar
08-04-10, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking of putting together a new system in the next few months and wanted to get started on a new setup for both my HTPC (will likely give most of the parts to my brother in a new media system for his own usage, move my current setup to my HTPC case and build a new tower for myself).

The first thing I want to do is probably grab a boot drive for each system to speed things up and toss some encoding software and games (respectively).

I've looked through a number of options and I know by the time I pull the trigger, prices will likely be lower, but I wanted to know about some things to keep an eye out for.

I've been keeping note of the new generations of OCZ's, Corsair and Intel drives, as well as advances in TRIM and so forth, but I wanted a "seat of the pants" suggestion from current SSD users :)

Bearclaw
08-04-10, 08:41 PM
Will also be following this thread. About to build a system myself and considering an SSD for O/S.

fasedww
08-04-10, 09:09 PM
I just bought this one, I'll let you know how it performs and all, :D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220509

Bearclaw
08-04-10, 09:43 PM
I didn't start building on my own until late 2005. Just when SATA appeared if I am correct? I can't remember though. Were SATA HD prices skyhigh too when they first appeared?

stncttr908
08-04-10, 10:01 PM
Anything with the SandForce SF-1200 controller, like the Corsair Force, OCZ Agility 2, and Patriot Inferno drives.

My Corsair Force 120GB is one of my better investments. I'll add a second for RAID-0 once I go for my next total system overhaul.

stjuart
08-04-10, 11:17 PM
not to invade this thread but iam getting rid of my 80gig intel ssd with trim support, Used it for 5 months. I have the 160ssd now, selling other one to pay for the 160ssd. IF you need an 80gig for good price look in FS section. As far as ssd are conserned, Ill probably never go back to normal hard drives for my OS install.

Sazar
08-04-10, 11:32 PM
Anything with the SandForce SF-1200 controller, like the Corsair Force, OCZ Agility 2, and Patriot Inferno drives.

My Corsair Force 120GB is one of my better investments. I'll add a second for RAID-0 once I go for my next total system overhaul.

So I've heard :)

I really want to get at least a 120+GB drive for my primary system for boot purposes and for most apps.

I have done the math and that should be more than enough, I can dump the non-essentials elsewhere. Push comes to shove, and if the prices are decent, I can always look at a 256GB drive.

Viral
08-04-10, 11:47 PM
The G.Skill Phoenix and Mushkin Callisto 120GB models are very well priced. Can't go past sandforce lately, the performance has always been there but now they have the price/GB down pretty low as well.

Keep an eye on the prices for 240GB models, they are usually slightly less than twice the price of a 120GB and will perform slightly better, so if you have the cash, go for it. I do find that 120GB is enough, but I still could make use of more. So i'll probably be going 160GB(intel), 180GB (Revodrive) or 240GB (Revodrive) for my next purchase, just waiting on next gen sata 3 drives and see how the prices level out on PCI-E revodrives.

stncttr908
08-05-10, 09:34 AM
So I've heard :)

I really want to get at least a 120+GB drive for my primary system for boot purposes and for most apps.

I have done the math and that should be more than enough, I can dump the non-essentials elsewhere. Push comes to shove, and if the prices are decent, I can always look at a 256GB drive.
I'm getting by. I sometimes see this as a benefit since it constricts me to playing only certain games before moving on to something else. :afro:

Conditioned
08-05-10, 01:50 PM
Intel x25 80 gb is a winner in the lot of the test for price and performance. Im really happy with it.

For big size disks I usually go with seagate. They are quiet and relatively cheap.

fasedww
08-05-10, 01:57 PM
When I get mine how to you setup steam games, I would like to put the games on my raid setup on another drive. Will steam work this way?:o

fasedww
08-05-10, 02:29 PM
Forget I googled it I know how to do it now.:D