PDA

View Full Version : Dig's Barton 2500+ OCing "Hmmmmmm.." thread.

Pages : [1] 2

digitalwanderer
07-25-03, 09:48 AM
They're so popular I thought I'd start my own. :)

I just observed something interesting about me new set-up, (Bubbles, see sig), yesterday and will check it further today. I'm running it at 175FSB 12xCPU for about 2100. Core voltage is default, same with RAM (7-3-3-3)

If I take up me FSB or multiplier much it crashes out during 3dm2k3 or 3dm2k, so I thought the CPU was just getting too hot and I'd have to wait for a better heatsink/cooler. (I'm using stock. Shut up! I'm being cheap, it was the only way I could upgrade! ;) )

But the day before yesterday the weather was cooler, so me wife convinced me to turn off the central AC and open up the windows. No problem, 'til yesterday when it got to 90-100f again and we still had all the windows open. :rolleyes: HOT!

But Bubbles did not crash, not a bit. I have a thermal probe jammed into her northbridge chipset and it'd average 38-40C with the highest I'd seen it make being about 41.4C....it was at 44.8C yesterday and did just peachy. :eek:

So I'm starting to think it is NOT a heat bottleneck...

What should I up to get more?

The Baron
07-25-03, 09:49 AM
Maybe the RAM just can't hack it?

I had no troubles whatsoever getting to 200Mhz FSB at stock vcore.

Dazz
07-25-03, 10:44 AM
LMFAO i was wondering about this as i am thinking of getting an XP2500+ in the next week or so, 2.1GHz seems about right. What memory are you running? (PC2700?) also what board is used and what revision? aka nForce2 C1 (Ultra 400?)

Smokey
07-26-03, 01:00 AM
Recieved my replacememnt ram back yesterday, so Ive been playing around a bit to see how high things go on my system ;)

Im starting to think that 2100 there abouts may be the chips limit on default voltages? Ive gone for a higher fsb, 190*11, ran 3dmark2001 full test ok, ran couple of Sandra tests and ran Ravenshield for a bit, with no crashes. Im just trying 193*11 for the moment, see how that goes, but I dont really have the best motherboard for overclocking, and I could do with a better psu also :p

Dig, if try upping your rams voltage if you still have that at default as you have stated, try 2.7.

Dazz
07-26-03, 04:17 AM
193MHz is impressive for a KT333 board.

I am just wondering what i should do?
Setup for 183MHz FSB and see if my Crucial PC2100 can handle it, or remove it and use single channel PC2700 @ 400MHz.

I know that they can do the following.
Crucial PC2100 2.5/3/3/7 333MHz
TwinMOS PC2700 3/4/4/8 400MHz

I have been unable to get the Crucial stick running @ 400MHz no matter the voltage used :( Or run FSB 200 and memory at 266MHz in dual channel @ 2/2/2/4

I have done some tests with my locked Athlon XP 2100+
Dual DDR200 2/2/2/5 = 1661/1547 (tho 3.2GB/sec)
Dual DDR266 2/2/2/5 = 2055/1962 (tho 4.2GB/sec)
Dual DDR333 2.5/3/3/7 = 1993/1901 (tho 5.3GB/sec)
Single DDR400 3/4/4/8 = 2006/1906 (tho 3.2GB/sec)

Very strange that the results for dual DDR200 is quite low wouldn't you say? As it provides more bandwith then the FSB of the Athlon.

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 08:13 AM
First off Zardon over at DH said nVidia should be releasing new nForce2 drivers in 4 days, just thought I'd toss that up since me next question would be what's wrong with the current ones? (I really don't know, they work for me... )

Second, I felt goofy and just set me ram from 7-3-3 to 6-2-2 to see what the diff was....but I had to up me ram voltage to 1.7 to get it stable at that. It DID run some 3dm2k1se benchies for me, but I wasn't too impressed with the speed bump so I set it back.

Oh, I'm running the Geil Ultra DDR PC3200. 2x256 matched set running in dual-channel mode.

Thanks for all the input, this is how I like to learn a new mobo...with me friends. ;)

Dazz
07-26-03, 08:30 AM
Yeah you are running the same board as me so it makes it easier :) Do you know what revision of the board you are running?

Download this program http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-118.zip & this http://cgi2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~nrklv/cgi-bin/softdl.cgi?wcpu31a.exe

They will tell you what revision of the chipset you are running which will help :)

If i recall C1 is the Ultra400 chipset. A1 early, A2 unoffical FSB400 support. etc.

The Baron
07-26-03, 09:20 AM
First off Zardon over at DH said nVidia should be releasing new nForce2 drivers in 4 days, just thought I'd toss that up since me next question would be what's wrong with the current ones? (I really don't know, they work for me... )
Basically, the IDE drivers (and there are some little issues with the sound drivers--hopefully those have been ironed out). If you recall the 2.4x nF2 driver fiasco, the IDE drivers provided basically did not work in any way, shape, or form.

So, if they fixed that, maybe we'll get a tasty performance jump (not like I care--I just the SATA adapter :D ).

Dazz
07-26-03, 09:41 AM
Yeah I agree, their IDE suck BIG time. they work with me but they regularly power down my hard drives which may very well damage them, because it just cuts the power from them instantly which will damage the heads.

stncttr908
07-26-03, 10:18 AM
My experience below. I know that it could surely go higher, but I'm not that adventurous at the moment.

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 10:25 AM
So I'm NOT crazy! My damned HD keeps setting itself to power-down in the control panel even if I set it to stay on sometimes. :)

I'm not nuts, it's a bug just like the weird/annoying-as-hell "mebbe I'll boot" syndrome of the board! :D (BTW-Anyone know where I can find the 3.3 bios for it? I heard it doesn't have the boot problem...I'm running the 3.6beta2 right now. )

I did NOT hook up the extry 4-prong power connector on the board after massive warnings that it'll cause me board to chirp, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking I should since more power is more gooder...thoughts?

I'm downloading those proggies now. I have 4 GLORIOUS hours of the house to myself and I am gonna have me some fun tweaking! :D :D :D

EDITED BITS: I haven't played with the onboard sound at all yet, I THINK I disabled it in the bios & control pane....I'm just using me Fortissimo II since I know it & like it, is the onboard sound better/faster?

Dazz
07-26-03, 10:33 AM
Make sure you use realteks own drivers as you can custom the sound better and gives it support for EAX, nVIDIA's doesn't allow you to do much at all.

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 10:36 AM
Uhm...I'm NOT sure what I'm looking for here with WCPUID exactly (the other proggy doesn't like 98se :rolleyes: ) but I believe it's the south bridge info you're talking about which would be:

VENDOR: 10DE
DEVICE: 01EB
REVISION: A2
SUBSYSTEM: 57001462

Same thing for host bridge.

Funny thing, my 9700 Pro is revision 00... :lol:

Thanks for the help so far and more thanks in advance for any info input, I'm a TOTAL newby to the AMD side of things...but so far I must admit that I'm truly LOVING it!!! :D

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
Make sure you use realteks own drivers as you can custom the sound better and gives it support for EAX, nVIDIA's doesn't allow you to do much at all.
So using the onboard and pulling me fortissimo II would be a good thing?

Dazz
07-26-03, 10:46 AM
Na not really, I have pulled out my Audigy to use the onboard sound. But the onboard sounds still uses more CPU usage but i liked the abilty to control the volume of my centre, front, back & subwoofer volume. Which i can not with the Audigy :(

I decided to put the audigy back in but i miss them features, reason being is that the front speakers allways overpowered the centre speaker and it will and truly sux more so for movies. I have centre speaker full volume with the front and back speakers at 2/3 volume. Still it's worth playing about.

www.realtek.com.tw

Dazz
07-26-03, 10:49 AM
Hmm the A2 revision unofficially supports FSB400 but not guaranteed I am afraid. Also your board is abit hot what case are you running? Your north bridge is running 10C higher then mine.

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 10:51 AM
Na not really, I have pulled out my Audigy to use the onboard sound. Byt the onboard sounds still uses more CPU usage but i liked the abilty to control the volume of my centre, front, back and & subwoofer volume. Which i can not with the Audigy :(

I decided to but the audigy back in but i miss them features, reason being is that the front speakers allways overpowered the centre speaker and it will and truly sux more so for movies. I have centre speaker full volume with the front and back speakers at 2/3 volume. Still it's worth playing about.
Heh, I can dig the control-freak factor on the audio...that's why I love me bloody Fortissimo II so much, it lets me control EVERYTHING including volume levels on speakers individually. (My first non-Creative soundcard, what an eye-opener!!! :D )

I like me Turtle-Beach Santa Clare better, but it's in me wife's PC Blue so I don't fiddle with it much.

Ok, napes to the onboard sound. What does me chipset revision mean?

Dazz
07-26-03, 10:54 AM
A1 first revision offical 333FSB
A2 2nd revision offical 333FSB unoffical 400FSB
C1 aka Ultra400, offical 400FSB

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 10:59 AM
Hmmm...tough question. A cheap one that's been HIGHLY modified over the years. It has pretty phenom air flow from a side fan in and a chimney blowhole, along with a screen siding on the back to allow for a LOT of fresh air.

I still gotta add a fan over me chipset though as I don't think air is circulating down there as well, and I wanna toss a fan on the side of me 9700 Pro to up the memory a bit and allow me to run her at 400/360 constant. :)

Sorry I can't tell ya more about the case. It's a cheap mid-tower that I've been chopping for years. ;)

Dazz
07-26-03, 11:04 AM
40C is a little hot for the motherboard, although they can with stand upto 60C

I am using a Antec 1080AMG with 3x 2600rpm fans & 1x 2000rpm, the 2000rpm is at the back. 2x front and 1 side. I had another 2000rpm fan but it made funny noises so i removed strange enough my CPU temp dropped :eek:

If you want to test out how high a FSB can go drop the multiplire down to say 8 and then increase your FSB. I assume your board has unlocked your Barton? I can't help you on the BIOS revision i am afraid as my boards a new chipset and seems to use a diffrent BIOS mines currently 5.20.

My current temp is 32C & 32C.
32C for a Athlon XP 2100+ Palomino processor? I know it's strange but the heat sink an't even warm :eek: funny it was 52C before and the heatsink was fairly warm then i did a BIOS update and it dropped 20C.

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 12:03 PM
Yeah, the air is DEFINATELY warmer blowing out of her than it used to...I should stop lollygagging around drinking coffee & posting and actually open her up and add some fans and play....

....but it is SO nice to just sit and relax for a change, y'know? ;)

BTW-You have the delta version which is the newer mobo if I'm not mistaken. The bios' are pretty similar, the 3.06b2 would be the equivelent of your 5.06b2 but not quite compatible. (I'd don't think and there's no way I'd chance it unless I knew! ;) )

Dazz
07-26-03, 12:51 PM
lol yeah i wouldn't chance it myself :) my friend did that the other day and almost lost his board. He flashed it with an evergreen BIOS from Packardbell but crashed during installing of Windows 2k and he had a hard time trying to flash it back. From what i can tell this is the Delta version, didn't know till i used MSI Live update and it said it was a delta then i looked for programs to pick up the revsion of the chipset. It came in the standard K7N2-L box so i guess they didn't change all the boxes for the Ultra400 chips, must of wanted to clean out their inventory.

I love the board, it's my first MSI board easy to update the BIOS though Windows, scared to use DOS to flash i heard so many bad things :o Also my games fps increased and got an extra 2000pts in 3D mark 2001 from going from a AMD 760 to an nForce2 board, Impressive :)

As plan on getting an XP2500+ while i still can as the boards auto unlock them :) i just wish i had some PC3200 like you :)

Smokey
07-26-03, 01:09 PM
193MHz is impressive for a KT333 board.

I spoke too soon as always :p 193 blue screened after a little of RavenShield. Went back to 190, samething, so Ive gone back to 166 tight timings *12.5, my system seems too sensitive to higher FSB.

Still I was not happy with the performance when I ran 3DMark2001

FSB@190*11 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6805452)

FSB@166*12.5 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6808327)

Using same drivers and gf3 is clocked @ 230/540 in both benchmarks, I must admit I was expecting more!!

Dazz
07-26-03, 02:33 PM
Every thought about getting a new video card? It's holding you back at the moment.

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 03:00 PM
New video card, definately if you can! :)

I added an old monster 120mm fan to the side of me 9700 Pro with some rather creative bracket design, and tossed an old slot-type PII fan on the shiny heatsinks on the mobo. (I just wedged it on and it sort of covers both of them... :rolleyes: )

My chipset temp is down to around 30c, staying under 33c under demanding load. :)

I'm running her at 180x12 with the memory at 7-3-3 cas 2. I'm at 1.7 on me DDR & I cranked me AGP up to the highest voltage too. (No idea why, it just looked fun... ;) )

I might start pushing the mulitplier a bit now...