PDA

View Full Version : Carmack demos Rage on Iphone4

BioHazZarD
08-13-10, 07:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keu4GiTGQ6M&feature=player_embedded#!

this guy is insane, how does he do it

jlippo
08-13-10, 08:51 AM
Well, from technical standpoint the engine basically renders environment with a single layer of texture, a voodoo1 could do it. (well, there's indirect fetch.. so Matrox G400?.)
Most of the magic happens before the drawing and has to do what to load/draw, after that all the lighting in environment and the shadows are free..

But yes, the tech is very sweet for Iphone, I wonder if it would work nicely with Ps2 as it has a hardware mpeg decoder.. ;)

HiCZoK4
08-13-10, 09:39 AM
woooow. ID waas alwazs crayz in pushing things forward but this is insane,

Vanzagar
08-13-10, 02:20 PM
He talks, moves and especially laughs like such a dork... I just want to run up there and give him a big wedgie...

HiCZoK4
08-13-10, 03:56 PM
He is a cool guy and It no life, SO have that in mind :lol:

Btw. Isnt Galaxy S faster than I4 ?

WeReWoLf
08-13-10, 08:57 PM
That was very impressive!

crainger
08-13-10, 09:18 PM
He is a cool guy and It no life, SO have that in mind :lol:

Btw. Isnt Galaxy S faster than I4 ?

LOL What?

Fotis
08-14-10, 12:29 PM
LOL What?

He is right you know.IPhone 4 uses the same gpu as the 3GS if I am not mistaken.

# iPhone 3G S: 600 MHz Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 28 million triangles/sec
# Samsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 million triangles/sec

Carmack thinks he can sell much more copys releasing only for the iphone.Maybe us Android users will get its later.

Airbrushkid
08-14-10, 03:48 PM
The iPhone 4 is running a 1 Ghz cpu.

arioch21
08-14-10, 05:16 PM
He is right you know.IPhone 4 uses the same gpu as the 3GS if I am not mistaken.

# iPhone 3G S: 600 MHz Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 28 million triangles/sec
# Samsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 million triangles/sec

Carmack thinks he can sell much more copys releasing only for the iphone.Maybe us Android users will get its later.

Iphone 4 is using the A4 chip, same one as ipad, but with double the ram to go with.

Sazar
08-14-10, 05:49 PM
Iphone 4 is using the A4 chip, same one as ipad, but with double the ram to go with.

Yes, but the gfx processor is the same isn't it?

Airbrushkid
08-14-10, 06:43 PM
It's two chips in one. There suppose to be the CPU and GPU in the A4 chip

Sazar
08-14-10, 07:19 PM
It's two chips in one. There suppose to be the CPU and GPU in the A4 chip

Yes, but again, the gfx processor itself is supposed to be the same as the 3GS. The cpu is faster which will help, as will the memory but the gpu is the same which is what they were saying above.

mailman2
08-14-10, 09:05 PM
I dont know why they are trying so hard to push games on the prissy apple crowd. don't they know the typical apple user is too good to play games...stop wasting your time. Apple users are self absorbed douches that spend their days in coffee shops wearing berets while hitting on members of the same sex.

arioch21
08-14-10, 09:40 PM
I dont know why they are trying so hard to push games on the prissy apple crowd. don't they know the typical apple user is too good to play games...stop wasting your time. Apple users are self absorbed douches that spend their days in coffee shops wearing berets while hitting on members of the same sex.

its not just apple, its android as well and when devs are making 25 mill + a year on 2$ to 5$ games, then they will push for games on phones. When they have Nintendo declaring apple as their new portable gaming competition then they are doing something right. I dont understand why people hate just cause its apple, when the droid is doing the same thing and might just take over because its not just on one phone.

Iphone came out in 2007 and im more then happy and thank them for what they did to the smartphone industry.

jeffmd
08-15-10, 04:29 AM
Yes, but again, the gfx processor itself is supposed to be the same as the 3GS. The cpu is faster which will help, as will the memory but the gpu is the same which is what they were saying above.

It is not. The gpu in the iphone 4 is a few steps above the 3rd generation graphics unit. Such an upgrade would be required to handle driving 3d at similar frame rates at the much higher resolution display (So even if games wernt optimised for the enhanced graphics, more gpu would be needed to handle the same 3d at the higher resolution).

MowTin
08-15-10, 05:07 AM
He talks, moves and especially laughs like such a dork... I just want to run up there and give him a big wedgie...

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know Carmack was a nerd...not that there is anything wrong with being a nerd. Some of my best friends are nerds. Some may think I'm a nerd.

Fotis
08-15-10, 05:07 AM
It is not. The gpu in the iphone 4 is a few steps above the 3rd generation graphics unit. Such an upgrade would be required to handle driving 3d at similar frame rates at the much higher resolution display (So even if games wernt optimised for the enhanced graphics, more gpu would be needed to handle the same 3d at the higher resolution).

I just love it when people just say things without any knowledge of what they are saying! :thumbdwn:
Iphone 4 has the same (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review) gpu as the 3gs.The End!

Ninja Prime
08-15-10, 08:51 AM
Maybe this is why Rage is going on 7 years and looks like doom 3 with cars?

HiCZoK4
08-15-10, 01:01 PM
Do it on the Galaxy S!!!

jcrox
08-15-10, 02:35 PM
LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know Carmack was a nerd...not that there is anything wrong with being a nerd. Some of my best friends are nerds. Some may think I'm a nerd.

You seriously didn't know Carmack was a nerd? The guy does things like build rockets in his spare time and come up with new algorithms for better texture compression. He's THE uber nerd... I think he may also have the droids we're looking for :bleh:

wysiwyg
08-16-10, 02:50 PM
http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/statuses/21068255886

....like duh!!! for those that thought it was!

nekrosoft13
08-16-10, 03:23 PM
lol, but I don't see myself fit in your description. Maybe your stereotype of Apple users is not accurate. They have awesome products. Why not just use them?

-- send this from my Mac

;)

you might not fit that description, but that describes majority of apple users.

HiCZoK4
08-16-10, 05:10 PM
yep. I have a friend with Mac pc, iphone and Ipod.... I cant argue for any of those products near him :P