PDA

View Full Version : StarCraft 2 sales blitz a success: sales crush console games

News
08-13-10, 11:10 AM
More... (http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/everything/~3/_KDuJzrnH30/starcraft-2-sales-blitz-a-success-sales-crush-console-games.ars)

|MaguS|
08-13-10, 11:29 AM
Crush console games in July... Love PC Gaming sites... always twist the news to make PC Gaming market seem stronger then it is.

ViN86
08-13-10, 11:38 AM
It barely beat NCAA Football 11? :wtf:

I didn't know that game was so popular...

bacon12
08-13-10, 12:24 PM
Ars isn't a PC gaming site. They actually review more xbox and PS3 games.

Both PS3 and 360 combined.

Blizzard announced that it sold a million copies worldwide in the game's first 24 hours of availability, and sold 1.5 million in the first 48 hours.

That is a respectable number in 48 hours.

|MaguS|
08-13-10, 12:35 PM
That is a respectable number in 48 hours.

I expected a lot more coming from a franchise with as strong of a following as Starcraft and with as much hype as it received. In comparison Halo 3 sold over 1.5 Million in under 12 hours.

Bearclaw
08-13-10, 12:39 PM
I expected a lot more coming from a franchise with as strong of a following as Starcraft and with as much hype as it received. In comparison Halo 3 sold over 1.5 Million in under 12 hours.

+1 Waiting for years, I expected a TON of sales but then again, waiting so long also turns people off from a game, series, etc. IE: HL2.

ViN86
08-13-10, 12:49 PM
Ars isn't a PC gaming site. They actually review more xbox and PS3 games.

Both PS3 and 360 combined.

So? How the hell did that game sell that many copies? I had no idea people loved that so much. I can understand Madden selling like that, but NCAA?

With Diablo III probably coming later this year or earlier next year, I think we should have bought Blizzard stock about 6 months ago. :D

bacon12
08-13-10, 01:10 PM
Vin I guess its people like my brother I suppose. He has at least 300 titles in sports games just like that he has bought over the years.

Yea lets compare this game to MS's best selling game ever. Which btw is a platform exclusive, that had an advertising budget of what eleventy billion?

nekrosoft13
08-13-10, 01:51 PM

its popular by the drones that each year buy every sports game, just because they added +1 to the title

Bearclaw
08-13-10, 03:27 PM
its popular by the drones that each year buy every sports game, just because they added +1 to the title

:lol: Agreed. It's a diamond mine franchise because of those people. SAME people, little effort put in eveyr year, new year BOOM. Explosion of sales.

JasonPC
08-13-10, 09:30 PM
Lets also consider that this number only includes North America (the 1.5 million includes Europe I believe). I hear there's this one country in Asia that really really likes Starcraft and I bet people there bought a couple or so :p

HaLOL is a bad game to compare this to because Starcraft is going to sell like crazy in markets where people could care less about HaLOL.

Zelda_fan
08-14-10, 11:32 AM
I have a feeling SC2 is going to have some strong legs in terms of sales in the coming years. If you go on battle.net it says that there are over 1 million currently playing. The multi-player aspect gives this game tremendous replay value. It'll be like the new smash bros at college. Tons of people are going to buy this.

ViN86
08-14-10, 02:11 PM
I have a feeling SC2 is going to have some strong legs in terms of sales in the coming years. If you go on battle.net it says that there are over 1 million currently playing. The multi-player aspect gives this game tremendous replay value. It'll be like the new smash bros at college. Tons of people are going to buy this.

Just look at the original Starcraft ZF. I mean people were still playing that like crazy right up until Starcraft 2 came out. :lol:

Bearclaw
08-14-10, 06:13 PM

I would agree. Back in college my friends and I did the LAN for original SC all the time.

RollinThundr
08-14-10, 07:00 PM
Looking forward to actually being able to play this with out it tanking. New rig needs to hurry and get here. Liked what I've played of the SP so far though, as much as I hate the idea of having to pay full price for all 3 races. I do have to give them credit the single player portion seems to be fairly lengthy and well fleshed out. Haven't touched MP yet but I'd imagine most prolly still use the same ol rush tactics anyway. SC1 and BW for me was always more fun when a group of us teamed up against hard AI's.

Bearclaw
08-14-10, 07:26 PM
Did they ad LAN options in this? I remember this not being in the game during beta...

JasonPC
08-14-10, 10:08 PM
Nope. That is one big controversy about the game.

Bearclaw
08-15-10, 01:51 AM
Ugh. That sucks. :epicfail: