PDA

View Full Version : Can memtest+'s stress test damage a fragile RAM module?

Capt. Picard
08-18-10, 03:18 AM
Can memtest+'s stress test damage a fragile RAM module?

i've got a couple of DDR 2 667 RAM modules laying about that could have been the cause of earlier PC problems. I suspect they might be fragile since they are a couple of years old.

Can the stress test screw up a fragile (but fine) module.

I read the whole post in this forum http://forum.canardpc.com/showthread.php?t=28864 but it does't say anything of the rigors of the utilitiy's stress test.

EDIT: I use the word "fragile" for lack of a better word.

Revs
08-18-10, 03:44 AM
As far as I'm concerned any stress test is there to expose a weakness and may damage a weak component. Most programs make it clear that this sort of testing can be damaging as you're pushing the hardware to the limit, beyond what it see's in daily life.

I've never heard of memtest causing damage, nor am I 100% sure it can, but I can't see why it wouldn't be able to. IMO it's better for the weakness to be exposed during a test than to falter during an important task.

Madpistol
08-18-10, 06:57 AM
IMO it's better for the weakness to be exposed during a test than to falter during an important task.

I agree. The whole point of stress testing is to see if your hardware can cope with the hardest of conditions. If it can, then your components will be fine in day-to-day tasks.

If it can't, well, I hope you've got a good warranty on that sucker.

john19055
08-27-10, 03:03 AM
If they are that fragile then you probally would'nt want to use them anyway.I have never messed any of my memory modules up by useing MemTest,I just find out if they are good or bad.