PDA

View Full Version : Screen Tearing in Games

cwalker
07-25-03, 06:51 PM
I am not sure if it is Flickering or Screen Tearing. This happens when I play Elite Force 2, MOHAA, SOF2.

I am using a Gainward FX5900 Non Ultra, coupled with a NEC LCD1760NX.
The FX is not overclocked. Nvidia Drivers 44.03. V-Sync is on. LCD is set to 1280x1024, 32bit, 60hz, digital. This is a brand new install of WinXP SP1, DX9.0a.

I have AA and AF off. I have played with the graphic settings in the games with no luck. If I lower the resolution to 1024x768 the Tearing still happens but less often. Any ideas?

I am so frustrated, I am thinking about trading my FX5900.

CaptNKILL
07-26-03, 02:09 AM
What exactly is it doing?

Tearing= it looks like the image is spliced with another one... you see lines\ripples.

I also noticed Tearing very bad in MOHAA, but sadly, Ive recently learned that Vsync (which needs to be forced in MOHAA, and probably the other games you mentioned) can severely lower performance in games. Now that Ive started running games without vsync Its like I upgraded from a 5600 to a 5600 Ultra :D

So, you can force Vsync in these games (im sure thats the problem, you can find the console command to do this at any MOHAA forum) and probably lower your performance (noticeably) or live with the tearing. Its your choice tho... try both, see which bothers you less :)

yoladude
07-26-03, 03:24 AM
my advice would be to up your refresh rate (if possible), that should help some. cause then the frate won't get so far above your refresh rate causing the tearing. but there is a way to fix it.

if you have a constant fps of over 60 or whatever your highest refresh rate is, enable vsync. it'll degrade performance SOMEWHAT, but it'll only limit it to your refresh rate. e.g. 60hz = 60fps. and that should be smooth enough.....at least it is for me.

oh, and btw....what does e.g. stand for? i know how to use it and what it means, but i'm just curious.

CaptNKILL
07-26-03, 04:04 AM
Well, its obvious that this is something that people need to learn about, so read up HERE (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14773&highlight=vsync).

Take a look at my results. I went from 42min FPS in DoD (1024x768, 8xAF, 4xAA) to over 60 just by disabling Vsync... maybe I should add a link to that thread in my sig...

EDIT: added it to my sig....

cwalker
07-26-03, 08:05 AM
If you would read my post carefully, you would see that I have VSYnc enabled and I am using a LCD with DVI at 1280x1024 /60hz.

Nothing seems to make the tearing/flickering stop.

saturnotaku
07-26-03, 08:32 AM
If you don't install an .inf for your monitor (aka leaving it as Plug and Play in device manager) you should be able to up the refresh rate to 75Hz at 1280x1024. I've found that helps reduce tearing immeasurably.

For Quake 3 engine games, there are a couple console commands you can use so reduce/eliminate tearing while leaving vsync off. First is r_swapinterval 1 and com_maxfps xx - where you substitute xx for your LCD's refresh rate.

CaptNKILL
07-26-03, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by cwalker
If you would read my post carefully, you would see that I have VSYnc enabled and I am using a LCD with DVI at 1280x1024 /60hz.

Nothing seems to make the tearing/flickering stop.
I read the post just fine, but Quake 3 engine games like MOHAA require you to force Vsync. Notice that there isnt an OpenGL "force Vsync" option in any Nvidia driver config program, the best you can get is "default on" because (im guessing) OpenGL allows the games to control their own sync settings (where as D3D vsync is controlled by drivers most of the time..?).

Saturnotaku knows the commands, try those with and without vsync enabled in the drivers. I bet if you set swapinterval to 1 (I remember, this was what I used to turn vsync on) your driver settings wont make any difference in that game.

Dot50Cal
07-28-03, 01:32 AM
Im getting the same problem! It happens at both default and enchanced mode settings.

I got a 5900 Ultra from Gainward. This is bull****, its as if the card cant take the clock settings due to improper cooling. I cant nab a screenshot of it but half the times a sharp spike of textures goes across the screen when im flying in 1942. Its basically huge artifacts (and its not cause vsync, cause I tried it both on and off) It happens damn often too. This is really anoying and im probably going to return the card.

Nv40
07-28-03, 11:18 AM
In quake III goto : go into the console and type com_maxfps 85 (higher than 200 sometimes also helped....). your frame rate wont go above 85 and thus eleminating your tearing problem! and : /r_swapinterval 1 then : vid_restart (!!! important) to see fps : ~ cg_drawfps 1 If you cant get into the console in games look for a CFG file similar to AUTOEXEC.CFG or CONFIG.CFG and open it in notepad (make sure word wrap is on). Search for "swap" if it finds r_swapinterval you will usually find it set to 0 so change it to 1. If not add it to the end of the file in the same format as the other entries. eg if all the other entries say setr_xxxxxx 1 then use setr_swapinterval 1 Mohaa: Use your ~ key to pull down your console in MOHAA. Then type this exactly as I have it: Seta r_swapinterval "1"

your performance can be slower .. btw..

http://home01.wxs.nl/~pjo/tings/video*****.htm

$=s

use google search an type FAQ + nameofyourgame if you have issues with a game.the tearing in quake3 engines happens since the times in TNT2.. so this is not a driver issue.. but a MOnitor + VSYNC +Microsoft? one. there are utilities outhere that force Vsync ON too.

Chalnoth
07-28-03, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Dot50Cal
Im getting the same problem! It happens at both default and enchanced mode settings.

I got a 5900 Ultra from Gainward. This is bull****, its as if the card cant take the clock settings due to improper cooling. I cant nab a screenshot of it but half the times a sharp spike of textures goes across the screen when im flying in 1942. Its basically huge artifacts (and its not cause vsync, cause I tried it both on and off) It happens damn often too. This is really anoying and im probably going to return the card.
Corrupted display may be a sign of overheated memory, which may indicate a bad card. The only other thing to try is update the video drivers.

Tearing related to vsync is different from what you are describing. Tearing related to vsync results from the monitor displaying more than one frame at a time, where the top portion of the frame is different from the bottom. When there is significant tearing, it is as if you can see a flickering, moving line near the center of the screen (it'll move up and down from frame to frame). Tearing is most visible when there is a lot of change from frame to frame, such as a flickering light.