PDA

View Full Version : PS3 has been hacked

Pages : [1] 2

Vardant
08-19-10, 11:32 AM
Apparently it's all over the web and seems legit.

|MaguS|
08-19-10, 11:40 AM
No its not. They are a scam. They are showing the "hack" on a Dev Unit which allows Games to be loaded off the HD or USB Drive. Aswell as run unsigned code. There is no real proof of the system being hacked.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/19/usb-modchip-device-claims-to-allow-ps3-retail-backups/

Update: The OzModchips video appears to use a debug PS3 system, which has the capability to run unsigned code (including code from a USB drive) and load games from the hard drive without the use of any USB dongle. This doesn't mean that the claims of PSJailbreak's effectiveness are untrue, but it certainly calls them into question. Why use a debug system to prove functionality that already exists in a debug system?

Vardant
08-19-10, 12:06 PM
Oh, I might have put two different reports into one. Team Jungle, that's responsible for X360 drive hacks announced, that they are working on the PS3 BD drive. I thought this was their work too.

ViN86
08-19-10, 12:08 PM
Will that even do anything? I thought the PS3 content protection is completely different from the 360's.

|MaguS|
08-19-10, 12:10 PM
Will that even do anything? I thought the PS3 content protection is completely different from the 360's.

It is. I don't even think sony has a protection on the drives firmware. Think it all has to do with an encryption key.

ViN86
08-19-10, 12:23 PM
It is. I don't even think sony has a protection on the drives firmware. Think it all has to do with an encryption key.

Thats what I thought as well. IIRC, although they were are a long ways away, there is a possibility to decode it with Linux. Hence Sony's decision to remove the support. But the key has not (as far as I know) been touched yet.

Impressive for 4 years.

Vardant
08-22-10, 04:51 AM
Still think it's a scam?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-psjailbreak-article
It's real. Almost four years after its launch, the PlayStation 3's much vaunted security has finally been completely and unequivocally compromised.

BioHazZarD
08-22-10, 04:56 AM
Yeah anything u read on the internet is 100% true.

LurkerLito
08-22-10, 11:50 AM
After reading the articles on the "hack" it really doesn't seem much like a hack but a cloned USB service tool that someone copied. The question really becomes is it like the Pandora PSP battery thing where Sony couldn't stop it till a hardware revision took place or is it easily fixable via a simple firmware update.

Honestly, I am just floored that if it is indeed true, no one at Sony didn't "fix" this hardware backdoor after all the PSP pandora stuff happened in the newest models of the PS3. I would have more expected that only older fat models would have allowed it while the newer fat and slim models would have eliminated this backdoor capability.

I am split on my thoughts about the hack. On the one hand I want it cause I'd love to install the discs complete while I am playing them to speed up load times and also would love to see something like XBMC ported over since it is by far the most superior in handling all media file types and subtitles than the standalone boxes I have bought. But on the other hand, piracy is going to be terrible with this if Sony can't patch the firmware to fix it. That will be bad for developers who might want to just pass on porting to the PS3 just because it is hard to program for already and adding a significant amount of piracy of games would make it an unprofitable venture. Some might want to argue that it's the same as the XB360 with the drive firmwares and game devs still release games there, but this is an order of magnitude worse than the XB360. This has no soldering, no opening up the box type work. If this is true, it is Average Joe easy to do level piracy and a very bad thing for the PS3.

|MaguS|
08-22-10, 04:01 PM
First off its still unproven. Digital Foundry goes into detail how they claim it works but never do they state they have seen it in action. No reputable website has claimed to have seen it. And now its studdenly sold out at the retail site... yeah because people will easily pay over $170 for an unconfirmed item.

The funniest thing that proves the original videos complaint is in the DF article.
The software side of PSJailbreak is publicly available to download, installs onto a debug PS3 and throws up few surprises.

They have not shown this software to be running on a retail unit, only debug which already have the ability to run unsigned code.

Lyme
08-22-10, 05:18 PM
yeah because people will easily pay over $170 for an unconfirmed item.

If Apple sold it, they would.

Vardant
08-23-10, 03:31 AM
They need to make money quickly, because it's only a matter of weeks till the flash drive is gonna get copied.

I don't think it's even that sudden, because even in the Digital Foundry article it says, that they claim to have tested over 170 games. The PSP hack has also been tested for a few months before being released to public.

The software part is available, but the rest should be on the flash drive, that basically turns every PS3 into a debug one.

nekrosoft13
09-08-10, 04:24 PM
seems to be real, Sony released a new firmware update that fixes "security flaws" aka disables this hack.

ViN86
09-08-10, 06:37 PM
Yea, I heard the same thing. What I heard was that it turns a system into a dev system so it can run unsigned code.

NaitoSan
09-08-10, 07:48 PM
No like MaguS said it's a scam.

:p

nekrosoft13
09-08-10, 08:38 PM
Sony's latest firmware upgrade for the Playstation 3 game machine is closes a loophole that allowed users to run software that enables pirated games to be played on the PS3 console.

Sony officially describes the v3.42 software release as a "minor update" that includes additional security features. However, the update blocks the PSJailbreak and PSGroove applications.

Sony won a court order in early September banning the distribution of the PSJailbreak dongle. The commercial dongle - PS Jailbreak - that allows users to play pirated software. It also targets open source code, known as PSGroove, which allows homemade games to be played on the console.

While the PSGroove software was not originally intended to allow the playing of pirated games, as PSJailbreak does, it has already been modified by other hackers to permit the practice.

Sony has already obtained a court injunction preventing the distribution of the PSJailbreak dongle in Australia.

Sony has not provided specific information what the new firmware actually does.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=28329

Albo
09-08-10, 08:51 PM
I still have never understood the point of hacking the PS3.. You need a Blu-Ray Burner and Discs. The Discs cost basically what the game would cost. Plus you don't get Multiplayer access (I would think not).

Viral
09-08-10, 09:37 PM
I still have never understood the point of hacking the PS3.. You need a Blu-Ray Burner and Discs. The Discs cost basically what the game would cost. Plus you don't get Multiplayer access (I would think not).

Where do you buy your PS3 games for $1.50ea?

nekrosoft13
09-08-10, 09:52 PM
Where do you buy your PS3 games for $1.50ea?

I also would like to know that

ViN86
09-08-10, 10:25 PM
He's looking at BD prices from 2006.

Mr. Hunt
09-08-10, 10:29 PM
He's looking at BD prices from 2006.

Or, from when he was about 10 years old.

Shamrock
09-08-10, 11:00 PM
Take this with a grain of salt, but read on another forum that psjailbreak will have a patch next week for firmware 3.42

ViN86
09-09-10, 09:37 AM
Take this with a grain of salt, but read on another forum that psjailbreak will have a patch next week for firmware 3.42

:lol:

Begun the battle of the patches has.

/yoda

Vardant
09-09-10, 09:56 AM
You don't need a burner, you can just copy everything on your external or even internal HDD. You can copy whole games, you don't need to swap discs like crazy. I would guess, that the load times are now insanely fast.

You can now also play .mkv files, there are possibilities to completely re-work the whole menu system and make it easier to sort your movies and other stuff.

There are also rumors, that you can enable PS2 emulation on every console.

I might buy PS3 in the future, just because of this thing. Having a BR player with .mkv support, slot for a big HDD, that can also play games and I can install them and toss the discs out, that's almost a dream come true.

BioHazZarD
09-09-10, 11:24 AM
Well this jailbreak u can run games of any external hd or rip to the games internal, but seems sony is on the run and will do like on psp anything to stop it.