PDA

View Full Version : Palit GTX 460 2 GB

AngelGraves13
08-19-10, 10:06 PM
Anyone seen this? It's a 460 overclocked like hell with 2 GB of GDDR5.

I can get one at my local Fry's in Burbank for $260.

stncttr908
08-20-10, 12:39 AM
I guess 2GB would be decent futureproofing, especially in SLI.

AngelGraves13
08-24-10, 07:21 PM
Just installed it in my system. Gonna install the new beta driver and I'll report back how it is.

AngelGraves13
08-24-10, 08:20 PM
OK....so the desktop flickers randomly with the GTX 460.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

AngelGraves13
08-24-10, 08:40 PM
Screw PALIT!

I knew I should have gone with EVGA.

Returning this card.

When the price seemed too good to be true...it was.

DO NOT BUY PALIT!

Bearclaw
08-24-10, 10:03 PM
Screw PALIT!

Returning this card.

DO NOT BUY PALIT!

While I've never heard of them, Maybe it's just a bad card?

That being said, Evga is the best.

supra
08-24-10, 10:58 PM
Screw PALIT!

Returning this card.

DO NOT BUY PALIT!

ya i had a bad experience once with i think it was a paradise geforce 5700.
and then i only stick with well known brands now.

palit is along the same level as zotac for me.

evga all the way.

Bearclaw
08-25-10, 08:52 AM
I've only ever used Evga and BFG once because they were based in Illinois so easy to get issues figured out / quick RMA. Never had to though.

EVga all the way.

AngelGraves13
08-26-10, 12:27 AM
I took it back to Fry's and got a EVGA GTX 465 for $239 with $20 mail in rebate!

jeffmd
08-26-10, 03:29 AM
Angel, the screen flickering I have read is due to the windows power saving feature that underclocks the card when not in a 3d game. I havn't been able to dig into where the setting is though. It would be in the power section where you select performance/balance/battery saving. Something I can't seem to see on my windows 7 install here.

AngelGraves13
08-26-10, 05:19 AM
Angel, the screen flickering I have read is due to the windows power saving feature that underclocks the card when not in a 3d game. I havn't been able to dig into where the setting is though. It would be in the power section where you select performance/balance/battery saving. Something I can't seem to see on my windows 7 install here.

Mine is/was always set to High Performance. It's the first thing I do after a format.

The EVGA GTX 465 SSC has NO flickering or problems, just as I expected. The PALIT card must have been defective.

AngelGraves13
08-26-10, 06:16 PM
Well I might be getting a GTX 480 after all.

CS 5's Mercury Engine is set to support the GTX 480 only, and I'm gonna need to do video editing.

sharangad
08-28-10, 06:21 PM
Screw PALIT!

Returning this card.

DO NOT BUY PALIT!

I have the 2GB Palit 460 GTX and mine appears to be working fine at the moment. The only thing is because they've moved one of the DVI-I ports to the top it's louder than most other 460 GTXs.

sharangad
08-28-10, 06:25 PM
Well I might be getting a GTX 480 after all.

CS 5's Mercury Engine is set to support the GTX 480 only, and I'm gonna need to do video editing.

Are you sure about that? I thought it only worked on Quadro (workstation) class GPUs. On the consumer GTX4xx double precision runs at half the rate of the Quadros which for Fermi class hardware is half single precision. On the Quadro and Tesla cards DP runs at half the speed of SP. However on GF100 based Geforce the drivers repeat the double precision instructions giving you half of the performance of the Quadros (1/4 of SP speeds).

The Mercury engine is artificially limited to Quadros. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work on Geforce cards of any generation.

http://www.adobe.com/eeurope/products/premiere/performance/

"Accelerated rendering
The Mercury Playback Engine doesn't just deliver blazing performance and a fluid editing experience. By more optimally using your entire system performance, it also accelerates rendering and encoding, reducing the time required to deliver content to your clients. The only thing we can’t help you decide is what to do with all of the free time you'll now have.

Mercury brings performance gains on all of the GPUs supported today in CS5. If you're upgrading your system today and want to get the most out of your configuration, the following graphics cards offer significant additional acceleration by the Mercury Playback Engine:

Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
Quadro CX
Adobe is planning to support additional cards in the future, including some of the new NVIDIA solutions based on the upcoming Fermi parallel computing architecture."

AngelGraves13
09-01-10, 04:01 PM
I'm looking at the CS5 page info..it states it there.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/performance/

Accelerated rendering
The Mercury Playback Engine doesn't just deliver blazing performance and a fluid editing experience. By more optimally using your entire system performance, it also accelerates rendering and encoding, reducing the time required to deliver content to your clients. The only thing we canít help you decide is what to do with all of the free time you'll now have.

Mercury brings performance gains on all of the GPUs supported today in CS5. If you're upgrading your system today and want to get the most out of your configuration, the following graphics cards offer significant additional acceleration by the Mercury Playback Engine:

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
Quadro CX
Adobe is planning to support additional cards in the future, including some of the new NVIDIA solutions based on the upcoming Fermi parallel computing architecture.

sharangad
09-01-10, 04:19 PM
The nvidia page you linked to says links to says this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_PremiereproCS5.html

If you look in the "upgrade today" section it says:

The following Quadro professional solutions are required to accelerate the new Mercury Playback Engine in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5:

> Quadro 5000*
> Quadro 4000*
> Quadro 5000M*
> Quadro FX 5800

> Quadro FX 4800
> Quadro FX 4800 Mac
> Quadro FX 3800

I'm fairly certain you need a Quadro. Nvidia has a nasty habit of milking its customers for everything they can get.

I read before that the previous version of Premiere only supported GPU accelerated encoding on Quadros with the Elemental plugin, so much so that you could get a 'deal' on the Elemental plugin and a Quadro CX (specially designed for photoshop).