PDA

View Full Version : something makes me wanna recommend 5200U still...


Pages : [1] 2

ragejg
07-26-03, 01:59 AM
Back in April, I ALMOST got a 5200U... My decision was spurred by the following review by Bjorn3D...

http://www.************/_preview.php?articleID=241&pageID=243

before you cry "0ld news", plz take into acct. that I'm merely trying to give some hard info that I feel many have not viewed.

The stock figures didn't impress me too much, but what got me was the OC'ing figures, which I did follow up on by asking Gene and Scott if there were typos... nope...

Yes, the 5200 series lacks intellisample and has slower RAMDAC's... but as shown in the following figures, a healthy OC really helps this card...

I'm submitting these figures because there's plenty of discussion of the lower end FX series' AF/AA perf, but I don't see many actual figures...

The following post will detail a regular 5600's perf. in 3dmk2k1 @ 16x12 with 4XAA/4XAF... the one after that will detail an OC'ed 5200's perf. in the same benchie... I said w0w when I first saw it, and the figures alway spring to mind any time there's a 5200/5600 discussion... so here ya go... :)

ragejg
07-26-03, 02:00 AM
here's the 5600 factoids...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=164282

ragejg
07-26-03, 02:01 AM
and here's the stuff for the 5200U...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=164285

ragejg
07-26-03, 02:06 AM
yes I realize that the 5200U does not spank the 5600, even OC'ed... but performs admirably nonetheless...

I'm not well versed at this time on the 5200U's current availability, but I must concur that if one's available at an attractive price, it does appear to me that this card can perform admirably in AA/AF situations ESPECIALLY when OC'ed...

I'm not going to say "I'd pick it over a GF4ti", I'll leave that to those who are in the pickle of vidcard decision making...

:)

EDIT: ADDED BITS: Yes, I did take into acct that the 5200U scores are on an XP2000 and the 5600 scores are on an XP2700... yes they're different setups, so... maybe the 5200U COULD perform that much better with an added 33mhz fsb and 150-400mhz raw speed increase...

gokickrocks
07-26-03, 02:41 AM
although not an ultra...i could oc the 5200 i have in another rig up about 100mhz on the stock cooler but with some as3

the memory is a different story, i could only oc about 10mhz more...

StealthHawk
07-26-03, 03:50 AM
And for fairness sakes, how overclockable is the average gfFX5600?

Dazz
07-26-03, 04:14 AM
Not that great either.

Uttar
07-26-03, 07:49 AM
Well, the 5200U certainly helped to sell 5200 Regulars, I guess...

The number of NV34 nV sold in the last 2 months is nothing short of stunning, IMO. I'm sure they'll make that public at their Q2 conference call, too - the type of thing investors love to know :)

Sure, they didn't manage 1 million in 1 month - but still...


Uttar

sean m
07-26-03, 08:11 AM
I can overclock my 5600 from 325/500 to 370/600 with stock cooling and it runs fine.

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 09:07 AM
Question to RageJG: How does the 4xaa 4xaf setting look on the 5200, those graphs you presented really make a case for a card I'd pretty much written off as a total POS.

I'd be interested in learning more.

ragejg
07-27-03, 01:29 AM
From what I've heard, the AF/AA look like GF4 quality... support for up to 8X AF & methinks 4X AA... sorry but 1: I can't at all complain about GF4's AF quality when settings are right, and the AA... well, imagine if 4x was use-able on your GF4... would you have liked/used it?

What would a copper cooler, some better ramsinks and a volt-mod do for this card?

I wonder about availability... since my 8500 AIW DV bit the dust, I need a card for my HTPC (will be getting a SEPARATE TV-Tuner card ha ha), and might just have to pick one of these up... Dang it I'm convincing myself to get one... evil evil ragejg...:rolleyes: :D

ragejg
07-27-03, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
And for fairness sakes, how overclockable is the average gfFX5600?

Stealthy, I trust youve read the review by now, and saw that the 5600 did not benifit as much from OC'ing... IN THAT SPECIFIC REVIEW... maybe the mfg process has been polished, and maybe the 5600 is a better choice... hmm, but what if a 5200U really was attractively priced? pricewatch is down right now, so I couldn't pull up anything...

By no means am I trying to sway anyone from a 5600, I just wanna maybe expose some of the maybe unnoticed strengths of 5200U :):D...

RipItup
07-27-03, 03:57 AM
My fx 5200U can do 375/770, the memory being able to go from 650.

When selecting a 5200U you need to make sure you get the ones with the 2.8ns memory like the Gainward . Gainward also do 3.6 and 5ns memory on theres so if you get 5ns your AA/AF will be severlely impinged.

Although i have not got one. the new 5600FX at 400/800 can do 430-450 core and up to 900 memory so that is a whole new ballpark, if you can find that version and not the 350/700 ones.

I'm actually saving up for a 5600U to tide me over until nv40, but I might be saving up for the 5700U now, I just don't realise it :)

Regards

Andy

Geforce4ti4200
07-27-03, 04:41 AM
"Although i have not got one. the new 5600FX at 400/800 can do 430-450 core and up to 900 memory so that is a whole new ballpark, if you can find that version and not the 350/700 ones."


I know one guy who got his ultra to 435/1100, yes u heard it right, I couldnt believe he got 300MHz outta the ram :eek:

BigFish7
07-27-03, 06:28 AM
5600U FC can do much more then that kr web sites got as high as 505/925 yet it was water cooled and without wc they got 485/910 so it's all about Volt :D

P.S you can find new 5600U FC yet they are extremely pricey (i think it would get to the normal range 180-190 when the 5700 hits the market well not then maybe a 1/2 month earlier its release ).

you can find chaintech's for 208$ on PriceWatch (http://www.pricewatch.com)

Geforce4ti4200
07-27-03, 06:56 PM
theres no way........yet to voltmod the fx5600 cards.......if anyone found a way, let me know, my friend wants to mod it bad

zakelwe
07-28-03, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
"Although i have not got one. the new 5600FX at 400/800 can do 430-450 core and up to 900 memory so that is a whole new ballpark, if you can find that version and not the 350/700 ones."


I know one guy who got his ultra to 435/1100, yes u heard it right, I couldnt believe he got 300MHz outta the ram :eek:

Is that Walldow ?!

Regards

Andy

gokickrocks
07-28-03, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
theres no way........yet to voltmod the fx5600 cards.......if anyone found a way, let me know, my friend wants to mod it bad

tell him to look for 2 intersil voltage regulator chips and manipulate the feedback voltage pins

Malfunction
07-28-03, 04:01 AM
I got me a Evga FX5200 Ultra. I have to say I love it. I use to be a ATi fan but wanted to take baby steps towards Nvidia to see for myself what the difference is. I can't believe the type of image quality I can get from the card. Not like I was hoping the card would compete with a 9600 Pro or higher, but as far as image quality goes... I am impressed! :D

I play alot of Desert Combat, so I've been reading from various places that this card doesn't do too bad playing it. I have to admit, they are right. This card really through me off as I was expecting the performance of a GF4 MX or less.

I am very pleased to own one and will buy only Nvidia products from now on or atleast a good while. I have read all the blah about 3DMark and various other sites for nothing but making a person feel bad for choosing Nvidia products. I choose to ignore those opinions and choose for myself, and I have to say again... I am impressed.

I have O/C'd as high as 370/750 while completing 4 loops of 3DMark2001 SE build 330 to insure it was stable at those speeds and it ran flawless. I chose however to lower it to 360/735 which is what I choose to game at. I also game often at 800x600 or 1024x768 depending on how far I sit from my 19" monitor. The AA is cool at 2xAA but I perfer no AA/2xAF. Image settings are at "Performance" and Mip Map Detail is set to "Blend." Ingame settings quality is set to "High." When I really feel like taking screen shots and such I set everything on Quality or High Quality and 1600x1200. It isn't playable, but I can take some pretty shots...lol.

I dunno, just felt like I should say I am very happy with my 5200U that has 2.8ns modules that are supposed to be rated at 350Mhz max. I feel pretty lucky it O/C's so well.

Peace. :D

http://www.battlefieldgrunts.net/graphics/BF1.png

CaptNKILL
07-28-03, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Malfunction
[B]I got me a Evga FX5200 Ultra. I have to say I love it. I use to be a ATi fan but wanted to take baby steps towards Nvidia to see for myself what the difference is. I can't believe the type of image quality I can get from the card. Not like I was hoping the card would compete with a 9600 Pro or higher, but as far as image quality goes... I am impressed! :D

I play alot of Desert Combat, so I've been reading from various places that this card doesn't do too bad playing it. I have to admit, they are right. This card really through me off as I was expecting the performance of a GF4 MX or less.

I am very pleased to own one and will buy only Nvidia products from now on or atleast a good while. I have read all the blah about 3DMark and various other sites for nothing but making a person feel bad for choosing Nvidia products. I choose to ignore those opinions and choose for myself, and I have to say again... I am impressed.

I have O/C'd as high as 370/750 while completing 4 loops of 3DMark2001 SE build 330 to insure it was stable at those speeds and it ran flawless. I chose however to lower it to 360/735 which is what I choose to game at. I also game often at 800x600 or 1024x768 depending on how far I sit from my 19" monitor. The AA is cool at 2xAA but I perfer no AA/2xAF. Image settings are at "Performance" and Mip Map Detail is set to "Blend." Ingame settings quality is set to "High." When I really feel like taking screen shots and such I set everything on Quality or High Quality and 1600x1200. It isn't playable, but I can take some pretty shots...lol.

I dunno, just felt like I should say I am very happy with my 5200U that has 2.8ns modules that are supposed to be rated at 350Mhz max. I feel pretty lucky it O/C's so well.

Peace. :D



2.8ns memory on a 5200 Ultra??? My 5600 has 4ns :rolleyes:

Malfunction
07-28-03, 11:30 PM
That sucks... but if you'd like proof:

HY5DU283222
AF-28 311A
KOR 7L4010SE

That is what I have on my PCB. They are Hynix modules if you are interested in looking for the specs. I have already.:D

Peace,

:)

Ruined
07-29-03, 08:56 AM
I usually buy the non-ultra version of each card, because in most cases the Ultra version is the same exact thing as the non-ultra at a somewhat higher clock rate. And in my past experience, when a non-ultra part gets choppy in a game, the ultra part also gets choppy - the extra clock will get you some extra FPS but a change of the chip architecture is really what helps with speed in the long run - exception this year being the 128bit 5200u versus 64bit 5200/5200u...

ragejg
07-29-03, 09:06 AM
there's no 64 bit memory bus 5200U is there? I sure would hope not...

ragejg
07-29-03, 09:47 AM
$127's not too bad for the 2.8ns version...

Copied from Pricewatch:
eVGA - Video Cards
Info...

ONLINE ORDER ONLY -
eVGA GFX 5200 Ultra 128MB DDR 650Mhz 128-bit memory, MAXIM 6649 temp sensor. DVI, S-Video. Free NVD 128-A8-N308-T4 EVGA GeForce FX5200 ULTRA 128MB DDR TV/DVI
(Part - VC-123-119)
Price: $ 123
MinOrder: 1

Ship 1 : $3.00 - 5.75 FEDEX GROUND SAVER INSURED
Updated:7/25, 3:22 PM
$128.75 Xtreme Gear
Info...

888-937-5580
626-813-7730


CA

ragejg
07-29-03, 10:01 AM
and I'm almost thinkin I'd rather have a 5200U with fast memory than a 5600 with slow memory... Overachievers are more fun than underachievers...