PDA

View Full Version : I was under the impression NV_vertex proprietary cost money to use..

ChrisRay
07-26-03, 05:33 AM
I was under the impression for other IHV's to use nVidias proprietary extension for Vertex shaders cost money to use.

But according to this. Anyone can use it royalty free.

Is there more to this ? Than I am seeing. If so whats so bad about Nvidia Propietary vertex extension?

Question: Are any attempts being made to standardize OpenGL based vertex and pixel shaders? It was interesting to see in some Radeon 8500 reviews that neither DroneZ nor GLMark could be used for benchmarking since the OpenGL extensions used in those applications are specific to NVIDIA. Will NVIDIA be providing shader extensions that other graphics chipset manufacturers can implement?

David: NVIDIA has offered to license our patented vertex programming technology, royalty free, to other IHVs, in order that they can implement our extension without risk. For some reason, ATI has not chosen to take advantage of this license for Radeon 8500, although other hardware and software vendors have eagerly adopted the technology. It is disappointing to me that they want to create turmoil instead of compatibility. NVIDIA is working very hard to encourage adoption of a single compatible extension. That is why we have generously offered this license for a single, industry-wide extension, and have declined to license our patented technology for a smattering of competing extensions.

Now I could be terribly wrong as this is an old post. I am also curious about Nvidias Proprietary Pixel Shader extensions.

Anyone know for sure?

http://www.nvnews.net/articles/david_kirk_interview.shtml

walkndude
07-26-03, 09:41 AM
You would still need to buy the license chris, there just wouldnt be a royaly on anything created using the "licensed" technology.

rokzy
07-26-03, 10:00 AM
Q: why pay for a propreitary shader?
A: because nvidia cards can't run standard shaders at acceptable levels of performance.

there's the problem - you're paying for nvidia's screw-ups.

It's like how Microsoft is now thinking about charging for its OS updates.

walkndude
07-26-03, 10:29 AM
funny how the nvidia bashing even comes through in such an inane thread, keep up the great work rokzy...

Back on topic, I think its as simple as ati nor nvidia are going to use technology created by the other for the same reason microsoft wouldnt use linux anything during software development.

Just doesnt look good for the ihv thats using the others technology.

rokzy
07-26-03, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by walkndude
funny how the nvidia bashing even comes through in such an inane thread, keep up the great work rokzy...

I'm against propreitary stuff from either company. I guess you don't have any actual arguments to refute what I said, hence falling back to a "fanboy witch-hunt" :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I think its as simple as ati nor nvidia are going to use technology created by the other for the same reason microsoft wouldnt use linux anything during software development.

Just doesnt look good for the ihv thats using the others technology.

except for the time that Microsoft's "anti-linux" website was found to be running on linux. lol. after half the internet was rofl, they shut it down and it reappeared later on Win2000.

Hanners
07-26-03, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by rokzy
Q: why pay for a propreitary shader?
A: because nvidia cards can't run standard shaders at acceptable levels of performance.

there's the problem - you're paying for nvidia's screw-ups.

It's like how Microsoft is now thinking about charging for its OS updates.

I don't think there's anything wrong with nVidia's Vertex Shader performance, which is what's being discussed here.

Behemoth
07-26-03, 11:29 AM
i am against everything being controlled by m$.
opengl, ogl proprietary extension, doom3 engine, nvidia and linux gogogo!!!!

rokzy
07-26-03, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Hanners
I don't think there's anything wrong with nVidia's Vertex Shader performance, which is what's being discussed here.

read the thread.

he asked "whats so bad about Nvidia Propietary vertex extension?"

I said they're bad because they're just a bug-fix you have to pay for.

Hanners
07-26-03, 02:37 PM
read the thread.

he asked "whats so bad about Nvidia Propietary vertex extension?"

I said they're bad because they're just a bug-fix you have to pay for.

So if vertex shader performance is okay on nVidia cards, why is it a bug fix you have to pay for? :wtf:

rokzy
07-26-03, 02:42 PM
:rolleyes:

Hanners
07-26-03, 02:47 PM
:rolleyes:

Yep, thought so. :afro:

Don't get me wrong, I dislike having proprietary OpenGL extensions (especially ones you have to pay for) as much as the next person, but I'm not going to start throwing baseless accusations around to justify my dislike of them.

Uttar
07-26-03, 03:46 PM
Could somebody possibly explain me how trolls like that aren't banned on the spot?

If you could read charts, you'd discover, oh miracle, that nVidia isn't slow in Vertex Shading. It has about 90-95% of ATI's speed using VS2.0., which *isn't proprietary*

Their problem lies in Pixel Shading, where should you have brung such a point, I wouldn't even have flamed you. But here, that's not only misinformation, it's also sheer stupidity.

nVidia's VS extensions aren't really faster - they just got more features, and expose them in a way which is nearer to the hardware, so that the programmer truly understands what's going on when he programs in them.

Uttar

StealthHawk
07-26-03, 03:54 PM
Rokzy,

Please don't troll threads. Your statements were not called for, there was no reason to turn this into a "NVIDIA sux0r" thread. Since you don't have PMs enabled take this as a public warning.