PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing which Fx 5900 (non Ultra)......

Pages : [1] 2

FredGSanford
07-26-03, 09:31 AM
Sound like apples and orenges again but....

Which cooling method/Solution is best for the 5900 non Ultra? In best I mean quietest and works great. But also which corp gives the best warranty as well?

I had placed and order from a yahoo e-store but they e-mailed me saying the chaintech gf-fx is not currently in stock so I then decided to order from newegg where I should have to begin with and now I'm even more confused them before.. lol :(

Anyway, I read a few user reviews on various sites (mainly on newegg and a few other e-store sites) and there all great but some people say that X brand has a slightly noisy fan while another person will say the same card is silent. I was aiming for the Chaintech simply because it comes with the most goodies and a vivo thingy ;) but if there warranty is poop I would rather go with another..?

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

The Baron
07-26-03, 09:34 AM
I hear tasty things about the Gainward 5900.

BigFish7
07-26-03, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by FredGSanford
Sound like apples and orenges again but....

Which cooling method/Solution is best for the 5900 non Ultra? In best I mean quietest and works great. But also which corp gives the best warranty as well?

I had placed and order from a yahoo e-store but they e-mailed me saying the chaintech gf-fx is not currently in stock so I then decided to order from newegg where I should have to begin with and now I'm even more confused them before.. lol :(

Anyway, I read a few user reviews on various sites (mainly on newegg and a few other e-store sites) and there all great but some people say that X brand has a slightly noisy fan while another person will say the same card is silent. I was aiming for the Chaintech simply because it comes with the most goodies and a vivo thingy ;) but if there warranty is poop I would rather go with another..?

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

i'm not 100% sure about this... ( ask someone with the same card to confirm this).
i would get the eVGA's card due to the fact that it has same ref cooling as on the Ultra therefore you might even get same speeds as the eVGA's ulta but using 128MB ram for a great price
- 347$.

BuyXtremeGear.com (http://www.buyxtremegear.com/evga5900128r.html)

P.S The ref cooling isn't that quite (38db) therefore my second best choise would be Leadtek's or Albatron's yet the are costy 373$(shipping included) each.
Leadtek's (http://www.pc-beyond.com/vcard-Leadtek.htm)
Albatron's (http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?pid=7503&sid=BSHE4EUENPV09G4KMWT5WFBA9HH0FWL5)

btw check the new chaintech's card it's being sold for 344$.

Allstarshop (http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/simprod.asp?pid=7526&ad=pwatch)

btw the albatron is extremely noiseless (25db) and the shipping method is overnight for the leadtek's and albatron's cards.

Dark Jedi
07-26-03, 10:58 AM
Gainward's 5900 looks sweet, also Abit's new 5900 might be worth considering.

BigFish7
07-26-03, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Dark Jedi
Gainward's 5900 looks sweet, also Abit's new 5900 might be worth considering.

hoo yeah abit's should be a really geat OC (as always) however i can't find it anywhere for sale :) that's why i haven't said anything about it...

Dark Jedi
07-26-03, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by BigFish7
hoo yeah abit's should be a really geat OC (as always) however i can't find it anywhere for sale :) that's why i haven't said anything about it...

Oops... forgot availability might be a little sketchy for the Abit model yet. Another to consider might be the MSI 5900... again, good OCer from the reviews I've read on it, and also looks the part. :afro:

BigFish7
07-26-03, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Dark Jedi
Oops... forgot availability might be a little sketchy for the Abit model yet. Another to consider might be the MSI 5900... again, good OCer from the reviews I've read on it, and also looks the part. :afro:
i don't like MSI's board due to not such a god OC anyways i'm not here to fight(not that i'm suggesting anyting of this kind :D) but to suggest therefore if you have to pick one from the two ( i mean MSI's or Gainward's) the Gainward's model has an upper hand...

digitalwanderer
07-26-03, 11:25 AM
I absolutely loved me Gainward GF4, the quality impressed the heck out of me and it was an OCer from hell! :)

Gainward=Good. :D

Dark Jedi
07-26-03, 11:28 AM
So... I think that would be a unanimous YES to the Gainward 5900, then... :D

Slappi
07-26-03, 11:38 AM
well I have a leadtek and it is quiet and overclocks to 480/970.

BigFish7
07-26-03, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Slappi
well I have a leadtek and it is quiet and overclocks to 480/970.

that's why i included it in my list :D

FredGSanford
07-26-03, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the info so far guys... So far the leadteck is in the lead for my choice... Quiet, Lots of goodies in the package, price seems pretty good. Of course I would have taken the gainward above all but they just seem to be too much $$$$ compaired to the rest.

I would have ordered the leadteck from pc-beyond but there here with me in new york so they wil want to charge me sales tax bringing it up from $363 to around $395 somewhere. I think newegg sounds like the best offer at $380 (steap price) plus $20 extended replacement plan where they will simply seplace the product if anything goes wrong... Which means I can overclock and not really worry about it (of course I wont tell them that ;))

The only thing I really have to worry about now is, will it fit in my Motherboard (asus P4PE-BP, Black Pearl). Looks like it will so I'll have to cross my fingers ;)

Are all the other 5900 cards also vivo? Not something I was thinking about but its a nice thing to have for the $ I'll be paying...

Ruined
07-26-03, 12:43 PM
I'd go with the MSI FX5900. Ultra quiet (P4 CPU fan is louder) and doesn't have the massive hunk of metal that encases the Leadtek.

FredGSanford
07-26-03, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Ruined
I'd go with the MSI FX5900. Ultra quiet (P4 CPU fan is louder) and doesn't have the massive hunk of metal that encases the Leadtek.

That was the very first card I seen when I decided it was time to buy an fx 5900 but the $$$$ quickly killed that idea.. seems to be nearly the same price as the other fx5900U cards :(

Dark Jedi
07-26-03, 12:48 PM
The MSI doesn't have VIVO AFAIK, neither does the Gainward. The Leadtek is a sound choice, reliable maker which usually bundles some decent software (or at least they did with the Leadtek Ti4200 I owned a while back)

The motherboard issue I am unsure about. My knowledge only stretches to AMD platform... I know the Leadtek cooling solution had issues with some boards whose DIMM slots were close to AGP slot (the 8RDA+ is an example), but my A7N8X has no probs as its top slot is free (budged the AGP down one slot).

DarkOneX
07-26-03, 12:50 PM
Stick with your Chaintech 5900 order, Chaintech makes great cards. I was in love with my Chaintech Ti4600! :)

FredGSanford
07-26-03, 02:04 PM
Dark Jedi>

Looks like I'll have to keep away from the Leadtek because it will most likely not fit in my AGP Area as the Ram Socket Clips will be right there to block it:

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4pe-bp/enlarge.htm

:(

ringu61
07-26-03, 04:02 PM
I got my Leadtek FX5900 yesterday and overclocked it today

now at 500/985

using coolbits for overclocking

I dunno when I set Memory beyond 985 the card still stay at 985 and that's why I didn't push more. and still testing the core now.

FredGSanford
07-26-03, 05:37 PM
Question about that Albatron FX5900PV card.... I see the specs and its says 25dba.... now does that mean per fan or the entire setup? Because there are a few different points being made and they all say 25dba and each one pointing to a different fan on the card... so is it 25dba or 25dba x 3?

Dark Jedi
07-26-03, 07:00 PM
Hmm... I think I saw mention in a thread here that only two of the three fans on the Albatron 5900 are used, the third is a back up in case one fails, but don't quote me on this.

Saturnotaku would be the man to speak to regarding this card as he's using the very same Albatron 5900.

A bummer on the mobo front... :(

Ruined
07-26-03, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by FredGSanford
That was the very first card I seen when I decided it was time to buy an fx 5900 but the $$$$ quickly killed that idea.. seems to be nearly the same price as the other fx5900U cards :(

Its $419 at Newegg, about $30-40 more than the competition, but worth it for its silent operation. The turbine fans on the 5900U cards are annoying in idle mode IMO, so I'd either go with the MSI FX5900 for $419, or if you have the cash for $530 you can get the 256mb MSI FX5900U which also has the quiet fan.

I'd just go with the 128mb FX5900 MSI. By the time the FX5900 is running games slow, the FX5900U will be running games slow, too. And up until that point you won't have to hear the turbine noise.

The Baron
07-26-03, 07:11 PM
Or, you could save $200 and buy the heatpipe-cooled Sapphire 9600 Pro and OC the bejeezus out of it...

Carbon Unit
07-26-03, 07:52 PM
I have the Albatron GFFX 5900 128mb, it rocks...I would have gone with the MSI but I read a review were the top fan won't clear the northbridge on my DFI Pro 875, I would have to dremel off a section of the NB heatsink in order for it to fit

DarkOneX
07-26-03, 08:08 PM
How are all you guys overclocking your cards so high? 985mem!? dang! Maybe I have a bum card.

FredGSanford
07-26-03, 08:28 PM
Carbon Unit>

Is your card (Albatron GFFX 5900 128mb) fairly silent or is it a little noisy from the outside of the case? I really want this one but I'm kind of in the air in the way Albatron's Doc's describe the cooling system.. it makes it soud like each fan is 25dba (75dba total)... Kind of confusing the pitts out of me...