08-28-10, 07:59 AM
More for less
Company Info
Intel
All Intel related content on HEXUS
Talk
Discuss in the HEXUS.community
Facebook Digg Slashdot Newsvine Delicious Stumble

A couple of months ago HEXUS reported the rumour that Intel was going to halve the price of the Core i7 950 on 29 August. Judging by the pre-order opportunity shown in the Overclockers screen grab below, that is exactly what's going to happen.

To be honest, this move is long overdue. Intel has had the 3.06GHz 950 priced at exactly the same level - $562 - as the 3.20GHz 960 for a while now. Why would anyone willingly forgo 140MHz of clock speed for no saving? There's also the 930, much cheaper at $294 on Intel's price list but only a bit slower at 2.80GHz.

source:http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=26168

Intel nearly always changes its published price list on a Sunday, so the 29th tallies with that, and Overclockers has chosen to jump the gun a tad by putting the new price up for pre-order with an ETA of 30 August. At time of writing none of Scan, Misco or Ebuyer were offering the 950 at this lower price.

It's been a month and a half since the last Intel CPU price list refresh and the chip giant will want to be positioning itself aggressively for the run-in to Christmas, so we wouldn't be surprised to see some other juicy price cuts, especially considering the buzz AMD is generating around its Fusion cores.

The 950 price move would render the 930 obsolete and, for that matter the 920, 880, 875K, 870 and 860 too. Assuming it drops to $281, the only real choices for the next price bracket down would appear to be the Core i5 760 - four cores, four threads and 2.80GHz for $205 - or the Core i5 650 - two cores, four threads and 3.20GHz for $176.great price cut

Arioch
08-28-10, 01:31 PM
How well does it overclock? I have never had a CPU that overclocked as well as my current one, especially at the price. I am not even trying that hard.

JasonPC
08-28-10, 01:52 PM
Damn just after I bought an i7 930 of course

bob saget
08-28-10, 02:04 PM
i bet the difference between that and a 930/920 is pretty minimal.

ViN86
08-28-10, 04:20 PM
Given that AMD has stated their next processors will also be AM3, I will be skipping LGA 1366. I hate it when a company releases a new socket every 3 months.

Redeemed
08-28-10, 04:23 PM
Given that AMD has stated their next processors will also be AM3, I will be skipping LGA 1366. I hate it when a company releases a new socket every 3 months.

+1

So long as AMD keeps on this track, they'll be the next company to get my money when I buy all new parts and do a "from-the-ground-up" build.

ViN86
08-28-10, 04:27 PM
Intel's new Sandy Bridge CPU's will have yet another new socket. And 1366 is being phased out.

JasonPC
08-28-10, 05:37 PM
It seems kind of silly to phase out a socket so fast when LGA 775 had been around so long.

ragejg
08-28-10, 05:55 PM
I really cannot keep up with all of the sockets.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa312/diazal7/O_RLY__Owl_Emoticon_by_jaredm.gif

It seems to me though that Intel knows that most that buy their CPUs and motherboard chipsets might leave their systems alone for longer, so there's less individual component swaps and more full-on mobo/cpu swaps which make a socket difference irrelevant.

ragejg
08-28-10, 05:56 PM
BTW shouldn't this be in News, 'Frawd?

idk

Lyme
08-28-10, 06:33 PM
Intel makes good money off chipsets, it is in their best interest to force users to upgrade their boards.

Drolfrawd
08-28-10, 06:43 PM
BTW shouldn't this be in News, 'Frawd?

idk

Random man your a mod move it if it's annoying you :D

Madpistol
08-28-10, 06:55 PM
I like AMD's commitment to their platforms, but Intel is moving ahead much faster than AMD. That's the only thing that worries me.

bacon12
08-28-10, 09:19 PM
Intel's new Sandy Bridge CPU's will have yet another new socket. And 1366 is being phased out.

1366 is almost two years old now thou. I will probably not need a cpu upgrade for at least three or four years pushing the life of my current i7 board/cpu to well over five years. Can't complain about that.

bob saget
08-28-10, 09:33 PM
1366 is almost two years old now thou. I will probably not need a cpu upgrade for at least three or four years pushing the life of my current i7 board/cpu to well over five years. Can't complain about that.

this. i am going to run mine into the ground.

ViN86
08-29-10, 03:43 PM

I have been running my LGA775 into the ground. And with quad core 775's costing as much as i7's, then having to drop $350+ on a new mobo and ram, it seems pointless to me. I will be going Athlon II X6 when I upgrade. I can get the mobo/cpu/ram for under $400.

If BC2 is any indication of things to come, hopefully more games will become more core/thread intensive instead of speed intensive. Then the performance gap between AMD and Intel will be practically non-existent.

Redeemed
08-29-10, 04:53 PM

this. i am going to run mine into the ground.

+1 :lol:

I have been running my LGA775 into the ground. And with quad core 775's costing as much as i7's, then having to drop $350+ on a new mobo and ram, it seems pointless to me. I will be going Athlon II X6 when I upgrade. I can get the mobo/cpu/ram for under $400.

If BC2 is any indication of things to come, hopefully more games will become more core/thread intensive instead of speed intensive. Then the performance gap between AMD and Intel will be practically non-existent.

Yeah- if/when I ever buy all new components I'm going AMD. :)

Drolfrawd
08-29-10, 05:55 PM
my cpu has actually gone up in price since i bought it back in Febuary.
q9550 retailing at

Intel BX80569Q9550
CPI-Q9550

245.52 inc.VAT

ragejg
08-30-10, 06:17 AM
Random man your a mod move it if it's annoying you :D

It's all good, wasn't annoying me.

Vin: Athlon x6? wut? Where? When? :captnkill:

nekrosoft13
08-30-10, 07:18 AM

and who releases new sockets every 3 months?

Bearclaw
08-30-10, 07:19 AM
Eh, the difference between this and an overclocked 920/930 is minimal at best.

nekrosoft13
08-30-10, 07:28 AM

Not every x58 cost near that much, you can find decent boards around $150-180. I7 930 that overclocks well can be had for $199 (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0331303). Granted ram will cost you more then on amd rig, but you get higher bandwidth triple channel.
And having one i7/x58 rig and two am3 rigs, the i7 is worth every penny, faster, more stable, no ati driver, better sata controllers. less headaches.

only reason why I do have two am3 rigs was cost, but I would never downgrade my main rig to am3, even with the x6 would give me a bit more performance, the total package is weaker.

Redeemed
08-30-10, 10:42 AM
Not every x58 cost near that much, you can find decent boards around $150-180. I7 930 that overclocks well can be had for $199 (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0331303). Granted ram will cost you more then on amd rig, but you get higher bandwidth triple channel.
And having one i7/x58 rig and two am3 rigs, the i7 is worth every penny, faster, more stable, no ati driver, better sata controllers. less headaches.

only reason why I do have two am3 rigs was cost, but I would never downgrade my main rig to am3, even with the x6 would give me a bit more performance, the total package is weaker.

I know you wont budge on your OP, but my experience with AMD differs.

Now, I recall you do a lot of HD video and such, so maybe that's where our differing opinions come from.

However, for simple day-to-day use (browsing the web, listening to music, watching movies, playing video games, even making music) I really can't tell a difference between my current stock i7 920 and the old Phenom 9600 BE I used to have. Right now, side-by-side, the i7 rig would seem faster only cause I'm rocking two SSDs. Put 'em on the same hard drive and the only time I'd notice a difference was running benches.

Never had an issue with drivers or the likes, and performance for any AMD rig I've ever known has been well worth the money paid.

ViN86
08-30-10, 10:50 AM
and who releases new sockets every 3 months?

Yea, it was a hyperbole... :o

Don't get me wrong, I know the i7 930 is a beast. Just the price to performance isn't there for me. If I had the cash I'd go for it. But I can save $200 by going the AMD route. If I had the cash, I'd definitely go i7. My $350 mark was a conservative guess for a motherboard (~$200) and triple channel RAM (~$150+).

With games like BC2, which are very thread/core dependent, I hope to see more similar games in the future, in which case the added cores on an X6 will give me better bang for my buck.

It's all good, wasn't annoying me.

Vin: Athlon x6? wut? Where? When? :captnkill:

;)

nekrosoft13
08-30-10, 11:08 AM
Now, I recall you do a lot of HD video and such, so maybe that's where our differing opinions come from.

However, for simple day-to-day use (browsing the web, listening to music, watching movies, playing video games, even making music) .

Yes I do a lot of HD, and my current AMD based server from time to time can choke. thats were the sata controller issues go under. Its 890GX board (so the best of the best from AMD) It got 6 SATAIII ports + 2 Gigabyte SATAII ports + 2 Silicon Image SATAII ports. all used.

and when there is a lot of I/O on the hdd the system can choke, it was fine when I had less hard drives but I kept adding to the server. Recently I build similar 10 hard drive based system for friend on Asus P55 based board, it running with a weak Intel Pentium G6950 and it doesn't choke.

All because of better SATA controller.