PDA

View Full Version : Pretty torn...

Pages : [1] 2

Redeemed
08-28-10, 08:06 PM
HIS 5770 1GB - $129.99 (After MIR) w/ free shipping (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338)

XFX 5770 1GB - $144.99 (After MIR) w/ free shipping (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447)

e-VGA GTX460 1GB - $229.99 + $1.99 shipping + tax (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130565)

The short of it is this- I'm leaving the city and moving to the country. For a temporary period of time (roughly a year) I'll be living in a small travel trailer till I can get my own land and start building my house. Need a card that runs ridiculously cool and consumes very little electricity, while performing as close to my current SLi'd 8800GTXs as possible.

The 8800GTXs consume far too much power and run way too hot for where I'm living. So I'm gonna' strip 'em down to clean 'em, then sell them in the near future.

I will *not* be running more than one card for however long I'm living in this trailer.

I'm really leaning towards that GTX260- but there's futher complications... I need to purchase a truck soon. I'm currently driving an '89 Buick LeSabre which has served me well, and still does, but she's nearing 184k miles, I cannot use her to go get fire wood, cannot use her to haul lumber, the livestock, etc. I *need* to purchase a truck soon so my financial priority is to set as much money aside for a down payment as possible.

However, I don't want to be cheap and purchase a card that is insanely inexpensive (mostly referring to that HIS 5770 I linked to) but I wont be happy with. I prefer purchasing product that I can hold onto for a while, a great long while, without feeling the need to replace it any time soon. Thus I'm thinking the GTX460.

However, the GTX460 costs roughly $100 more, which is $100 that could be added to my savings for my truck.

I've been reading reviews like a madman on the 5770, 5850, and the GTX460 and have firmly decided that it's down to the 5770 and GTX460. However, I cannot seem to decide.

One last nugget- I quite my job of 4 1/2 years, yesterday was my last day. I have a new job with slightly higher pay, but at least for the next few months probably 10 or so hours less a week. My monthly income is slightly less than with my prior job, for now. As such, the less money I'm spending the better as my income is tighter.

As such, I want to make a wise purchase. Thus I'm calling upon the wisdom of the elders here at nvnews (:p), what do ya'll recommend I get? I'll likely be making the purchase in the coming weeks, if not sooner. :)

Thanks in advance ya'll.

Roadhog
08-28-10, 08:17 PM
5770 will use the least power.

Drolfrawd
08-28-10, 08:28 PM
GTX 460 , Nvidia rocks

Redeemed
08-28-10, 08:48 PM
5770 will use the least power.

GTX 460 , Nvidia rocks

Ya'll sum up the exact reason why I'm torn. 5770 uses less power, but on average only about 20 watts less when measured from the outlet (total system draw, identical systems). However, it does run a bit warmer under load than the GTX460, while the GTX460 can perform, on some cases, about 50% faster. If I recall, there were a few instances where FPS on the GTX460 was nearly double that of the 5770 on the same system with the same settings. That is likely a driver bug, but none the less... There are compelling arguments for going with either card, so much so the decision is a *very* difficult one. :o

grey_1
08-28-10, 09:04 PM
Why go for a higher priced 460?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130562

$199 and you still get EVGA and Metro 2033. :)

EDIT: I'm just thinking the 768Mb ram will do fine until you upgrade. My 4870 512 still does decent at 1680x1050 - and this is most likely only a temporary card for you.

Redeemed
08-28-10, 09:21 PM

EDIT: I'm just thinking the 768Mb ram will do fine until you upgrade. My 4870 512 still does decent at 1680x1050 - and this is most likely only a temporary card for you.

I'm gaming at 1920 x 1200 though. Not only is it missing 256MB of RAM, it's also only 192-bit vs the 256-bit for the 1GB GTX460.

Then again, I should probably look at the reviews for this card before I shoot it down. That's still about $60 more than the HIS 5770... but it may perfrom $60 faster as well. :p :lol:

Looks like I got a bit more research to do, thanks. :p :lol:

Sazar
08-28-10, 09:23 PM
I recommend just waiting honestly.

I guarantee there will be new cards and, hopefully, lower prices, coming shortly.

I would wait and grab the best bang for the buck at that point.

Redeemed
08-28-10, 09:37 PM
Well, the 768MB variant seems to be nearly on-par performance wise with the 1GB counterpart. I mean, the difference usually isn't more than 5fps, mostly maybe 1-3fps difference.

However, the one thing I like about the 1GB GTX460 is how it uses a blower to exhaust the heat out the back instead of a fan in the center. Not sure that'll make that big of a difference, and I'm certain I could always throw a beasty after market cooler on it with some better thermal paste if I needed to.

Now my decision is even tougher. :( :lol:

Redeemed
08-28-10, 09:41 PM
I recommend just waiting honestly.

I guarantee there will be new cards and, hopefully, lower prices, coming shortly.

I would wait and grab the best bang for the buck at that point.

Problem is I'm looking to be permantly moved into my trailer first part of this week. I *cannot* (i.e, the circuit will blow every time I game, and electricity is uber expensive out in the sticks) use my 8800s. This is NOT an option. I'll be temporarily using an old 2D PCI Cirrus Logic card just to browse the web and such. The new cards wont be out for a few more months, two at the earliest. Really don't wanna' rock that Cirrus Logic card for 2 months. :lol:

I can always sell whatever I buy now. Also, ATi will likely be first to release and I doubt their new mid-range parts will be available any earlier than end of year, likely first part next year.

nVidia likely wont have anything substantial out before the first part of next year. In the meantime it'll just be refreshes of their higher-end parts which is absolutely out of the question for me.

Oscar140
08-28-10, 10:07 PM

This.

or this ..... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130563
It is only $10 more than the card grey_1 suggested, with free shipping.

A friend has this card, he is real happy with it, so far it has ran everything that he has thrown at it with all the settings maxed out.
He also runs the same resolution as you do.

methimpikehoses
08-28-10, 11:34 PM
don't forget: you might actually want a warmer card come wintertime... living in a trailer and all.

just saying.

n/r

mullet
08-28-10, 11:50 PM
460 good choice.

Redeemed
08-29-10, 12:26 AM
This.

or this ..... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130563
It is only $10 more than the card grey_1 suggested, with free shipping.

A friend has this card, he is real happy with it, so far it has ran everything that he has thrown at it with all the settings maxed out.
He also runs the same resolution as you do.

Meh- don't quite care much for factory-oc'd parts. Nothing against them, just don't see the value in 'em. :)

However, your comment regarding your friend is very encouraging. I'll have to give this card some more thought- might just be the solution. :)

don't forget: you might actually want a warmer card come wintertime... living in a trailer and all.

just saying.

n/r

I has teh forced-air-heating.

just saying.

t/rnhb

:bleh: :D

Roadhog
08-29-10, 01:25 AM
Problem is I'm looking to be permantly moved into my trailer first part of this week. I *cannot* (i.e, the circuit will blow every time I game, and electricity is uber expensive out in the sticks) use my 8800s. This is NOT an option. I'll be temporarily using an old 2D PCI Cirrus Logic card just to browse the web and such. The new cards wont be out for a few more months, two at the earliest. Really don't wanna' rock that Cirrus Logic card for 2 months. :lol:

Ever thought of upgrading the circuit your computer is plugged into? I could see it being a lot cheaper.

Think of it this way, if you spend $200 on a video card, that maybe uses 30-50 watts less than the one you have, that's a very small difference, ~.4 amps. That sure shouldn't make a difference on you blowing a circuit breaker or not blowing one. Also, when will spending $200 on a new GPU make up for the difference in power saved, 2 years? maybe more?

EDIT: gtx 460 uses more power than an 8800gtx.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090618/graphics-cards-thermal-design-power-tdp-database/

grey_1
08-29-10, 06:06 AM
Ever thought of upgrading the circuit your computer is plugged into? I could see it being a lot cheaper.

Think of it this way, if you spend $200 on a video card, that maybe uses 30-50 watts less than the one you have, that's a very small difference, ~.4 amps. That sure shouldn't make a difference on you blowing a circuit breaker or not blowing one. Also, when will spending $200 on a new GPU make up for the difference in power saved, 2 years? maybe more?

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090618/graphics-cards-thermal-design-power-tdp-database/

+1 - if that very small difference is causing a breaker to trip then your choice of GPU is the least of your problems. I would almost say you have a bad breaker or splice somewhere - loose splice = higher resistance = heat/load which can pop that breaker on you...or worse.

Seriously - have someone who knows what they're doing check your trailer's service bro.

Sazar
08-29-10, 08:44 AM

I can always sell whatever I buy now. Also, ATi will likely be first to release and I doubt their new mid-range parts will be available any earlier than end of year, likely first part next year.

nVidia likely wont have anything substantial out before the first part of next year. In the meantime it'll just be refreshes of their higher-end parts which is absolutely out of the question for me.

Oh, that puts a different spin on things :)

I wonder if they have any sort of APC UPS or something like that which would regulate power so it doesn't blow everything. Maybe a small step-up so you get the juice you need without destroying everything.

Redeemed
08-29-10, 10:10 AM

The GTX460 does require about 15 more watts than the 8800GTX, correct.

I have two 8800 GTXs. That's *a lot more power consumption* than a single GTX460- roughly 290 watts peak vs 150/160?

However, I do appreciate you posting that link as a side by side comparison of the TDP really puts things into perspective... kinda' leans me more towards the 5770. :o

+1 - if that very small difference is causing a breaker to trip then your choice of GPU is the least of your problems. I would almost say you have a bad breaker or splice somewhere - loose splice = higher resistance = heat/load which can pop that breaker on you...or worse.

Seriously - have someone who knows what they're doing check your trailer's service bro.

I have to confess, I've not set my rig up in my trailer yet- no idea whether it'd pop a circuit or not. May run just fine as is for all I know.

One thing I do know, is that the cost of electricity out there is ridiculously expensive compared to living in the city. Even if it's only cents a day I'm saving... look at it as trying to find the cheapest gas in town when refueling your car. :o Simply trying to conserve my pennies here, and make best use of the ones I do spend. :)

The whole circuite breaker thing popping is simply a concern of mine. Remember, this is a travel trailer- those aren't designed for people to live in them for an extended period of time. Though this is a temporary setup for me (living in the trailer), I'll still be living in it for roughly a year.

Oh, that puts a different spin on things :)

I wonder if they have any sort of APC UPS or something like that which would regulate power so it doesn't blow everything. Maybe a small step-up so you get the juice you need without destroying everything.

You hit the nail on the head. This is a travel trailer I'm living in. And it's 31 years old. I'm definitely going to be rocking a UPS to better stabilize and regulate the flow of electricity to my rig. :)

grey_1
08-29-10, 10:21 AM
I misunderstood Bro, sorry. I thought you had already tried it and it was popping the breakers.

Look at the bright side though if you go with the cheaper card. My old 8800GTS 640 gamed at 1920x1200 fine with no AA and a couple of settings turned down and it still looked fine, this is when FEAR was released btw, and that engine was a bruiser in it's day.

I'm sure what ever you choose will work out just fine. I was nervous about my bro buying that 5750 he has for 16x10, but it's smooth as butter and looks great so long as he sets video options accordingly.

ragejg
08-29-10, 10:33 AM
I'm definitely going to be rocking a UPS to better stabilize and regulate the flow of electricity to my rig. :)

I honestly never think of that. And should. I don't know how well I can trust the electrical steadiness where I live (small apartment complex). Maybe I should also consider at least an entry-level UPS if it can protect and optimize a little.

Hey 'Deemed are you gonna set that HD 3850/x2 combo up? :D

Redeemed
08-29-10, 11:23 AM
I misunderstood Bro, sorry. I thought you had already tried it and it was popping the breakers.

Look at the bright side though if you go with the cheaper card. My old 8800GTS 640 gamed at 1920x1200 fine with no AA and a couple of settings turned down and it still looked fine, this is when FEAR was released btw, and that engine was a bruiser in it's day.

I'm sure what ever you choose will work out just fine. I was nervous about my bro buying that 5750 he has for 16x10, but it's smooth as butter and looks great so long as he sets video options accordingly.

Nah, it's all good bro- wording of my OP was a bit confusing. I wasn't too clear on the matter. :)

Yeah, I'm really thinking of giving that 5770 a try. Would probably go with the XFX for the double life-time warranty and the blower to better exhaust the heat out the back. The rig will be near a window, and I do have fans setup in the trailer to help keep the general temp down. So during the heat of the summer the rig should be fine. It usually doesn't get much hotter than the 90s there. Often closer to the 80s. And winter can get below 20 sometimes... so I might have to periodically open it up and chisel the ice off. :D :p :lol:

I honestly never think of that. And should. I don't know how well I can trust the electrical steadiness where I live (small apartment complex). Maybe I should also consider at least an entry-level UPS if it can protect and optimize a little.

Hey 'Deemed are you gonna set that HD 3850/x2 combo up? :D

I'd do it, it's worth it. You're probably safer than I am on that front though, living in a city. I know the power out here is solid- but I am not so sure I trust the circuitry in the trailer, hence why I'm set on getting a UPS.

As to the opty and 3850... I'm not sure what I'm gonna' do to be honest. :o It'd make a killer backup rig, but I have four 939 mobos and no idea which ones work nor how well (:o), don't have a lot of room in my trailer, and more rigs = more power consumption. Gotta' be completely honest- not sure I'll be using that 3850 as, from what I recall, it sucks the electricity bad and I just cannot have that out here. That opty... well, the more rigs I have running the more electricity I'm using. Sure would make a great temp server though. :)

My best friend's dad really could use an upgrade. Guy is in his 80s, and is using a Celery from when XP first came out (:( :cry:). Might just put that Opty and 3850 in a cheap rig and bless the old guy with a newer, far faster machine. :)

Figure that Opty, 3850, 4GB of RAM, newer HDD, newer SATA DVD-burner, w/ Windows 7 HP x64 and he'd be set for quite a while. :) That's likely what I'll do cause I just can't have a bunch of rigs running out here- far too expensive. :o :(

mullet
08-29-10, 11:43 AM
Right now there is no way around a 460 for entry level gaming cards.

+1

grey_1
08-29-10, 01:25 PM
Get a GTX 480 and have no heating bill all winter.

Problem solved and it pays for itself by February. :)

Redeemed
08-29-10, 01:27 PM
Get a GTX 480 and have no heating bill all winter.

Problem solved and it pays for itself by February. :)

Eh... no. :lol:

grey_1
08-29-10, 01:44 PM
Eh... no. :lol:

:lol:

frenchy2k1
08-30-10, 01:24 PM
or you could get the best of both worlds:
a 460 768MB for the price of a 5770:

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--CE00158564010060

Check the combo with the SC2 demo (only a demo though) for a $55 reduction of the price.
Have fun gaming!