PDA

View Full Version : Replacing thermal pads with thermal grease on 5900U?

Lalander
07-26-03, 02:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone has replaced the thermal pads on their FX5900 Ultra with thermal grease?

And if so, were there any problems reattaching the heatsinks?

I was thinking about doing it, just to lower the temperature on my GPU a bit.

BigFish7
07-26-03, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Lalander
I was wondering if anyone has replaced the thermal pads on their FX5900 Ultra with thermal grease?

And if so, were there any problems reattaching the heatsinks?

I was thinking about doing it, just to lower the temperature on my GPU a bit.

i don't remember which review was it (i do remember it was MSI's card, i think :) ) however when they replaced the tp with AC3 the even got higher temp which was really strange and they said that it's extremly strange indeed :confused: .
yet i think you should try it out (you should have no problems put it back in place so don't get worry)
i think they must have put to much of AC3 which causes temp go higher or they were lack of it.

extreme_dB
07-26-03, 03:37 PM
A thermal pad is better when there are larger gaps to fill.

Lalander
07-26-03, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by extreme_dB
A thermal pad is better when there are larger gaps to fill.

Could that be the reason why the reviewer that BigFish7 refers to had problems, and that the construction of the NVIDIA reference heatsink makes (the original) thermal pads a better choice?

Anyone else tried replacing the thermal pads with thermal grease on a FX5900 Ultra?

BigFish7
07-27-03, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Lalander
Could that be the reason why the reviewer that BigFish7 refers to had problems, and that the construction of the NVIDIA reference heatsink makes (the original) thermal pads a better choice?

Anyone else tried replacing the thermal pads with thermal grease on a FX5900 Ultra?

if that's the case then NV found a way to save another 5$ :rofl