PDA

View Full Version : Using a UPS for better overclocking stability?

ragejg
08-30-10, 02:37 PM
Is using a UPS (even an entry-level one) something that may help with more consistent voltages, resulting in more stable overclocks?

Would something like this help me?

http://www.google.com/products?q=APC+Back-UPS&hl=en&aq=f

I (regrettably) live at an apartment complex (kinda nice, but probably a cheap electrical system) right now... trying to dig out of a financial hole & hopefully move into a nice place within the next six months... but I can't be sure of the electrical system quality of my next place of residence either.

I've never though of using a UPS as an overclocking helper, but since i usually use componentry that is "ok" and not "great" at overclocking, some help with voltage stability could go a long way.

Redeemed
08-30-10, 02:42 PM
I doubt it. If you live in a city and you've yet to experience any issues with your electronics then the voltage is probably fine.

What ever slight amount it may vary your rigs PSU would probably straighten out anyway.

However, the UPS isn't a bad idea anyway to get the cleanest flow of electricity into your rig. Don't think it'd do much for oc'ing though.

Interesting idea none the less though. Curious at what some more knowledgeable folk around here will have to say on the matter. :)

Roadhog
08-30-10, 04:07 PM
lol, wont help one bit.

Bman212121
08-30-10, 04:30 PM
Is using a UPS (even an entry-level one) something that may help with more consistent voltages, resulting in more stable overclocks?

Would something like this help me?

http://www.google.com/products?q=APC+Back-UPS&hl=en&aq=f

I (regrettably) live at an apartment complex (kinda nice, but probably a cheap electrical system) right now... trying to dig out of a financial hole & hopefully move into a nice place within the next six months... but I can't be sure of the electrical system quality of my next place of residence either.

I've never though of using a UPS as an overclocking helper, but since i usually use componentry that is "ok" and not "great" at overclocking, some help with voltage stability could go a long way.

A UPS will only do it's job when the power is really off. A lot of UPS devices just pass through current and won't filter voltage, so if it's over or under coming the from wall then the UPS will pass that along until it's too far out of spec.

What you really just need is a quality power supply. Most of them now have an active PFC which means the PSU can run anywhere from 100V to 250V and output clean power to your rig. The PSU is basically your power filter, so as long as you have a good PSU then it's not likely a power issue.

newparad1gm
09-01-10, 09:29 AM
I just tripped my circuit breaker twice in the past month. I moved my main computer to a different circuit, but I was also wondering if I should start using a UPS. I perused a bit online and saw Voltage and Watt ratings for UPS's. Should I get one that has the same wattage as my power supply? Or would a smaller one do? Also, would it be alright to hook up a UPS to a power strip or to an extension cable?