PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Raising Price of Xbox Live Gold

Bearclaw
09-01-10, 12:30 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/990913330_CZbtN-L.jpg

:lol:

|MaguS|
09-01-10, 02:35 PM
I still find it insulting that they have ads even for Gold Members...

Mr. Hunt
09-01-10, 03:14 PM
They do it because they can. Care... I meant care.

nekrosoft13
09-01-10, 03:17 PM
I still find it insulting that they have ads even for Gold Members...

if people are dumb to pay for the membership in first place, for something that always been free. they deserve as many ads as possible.

CaptnStubing
09-01-10, 03:31 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/989918599_ZJo3B-L.jpg

:lol:

Funny you are talking about the 360 and the image I get is a red "X". I guess my dead 360 slim is still haunting me.

Bearclaw
09-01-10, 03:36 PM
Funny you are talking about the 360 and the image I get is a red "X". I guess my dead 360 slim is still haunting me.

Oh - sorry about that. I can see it - Anyone else having issues?

|MaguS|
09-01-10, 03:47 PM
No issue here.

Bearclaw
09-01-10, 04:02 PM
Stubs - Learn how to use the 'puter and teh internetz. :lol:

CaptnStubing
09-01-10, 05:35 PM
Stubs - Learn how to use the 'puter and teh internetz. :lol:

Or maybe sausagebear needs to learn how to read.

I guess my dead 360 slim is still haunting me.

It was a joke making fun of the red x and the red ring of death my xbox suffered.

When I refreshed the picture came back.

ViN86
09-01-10, 05:51 PM
They have no dedicated servers, yet they still charge a fee...

Makes no ****ing sense whatsoever. The content they do have is not worth $5/mo.

musman
09-01-10, 05:54 PM
Oh come on guys!!! Bill needs a new 900 foot yacht.

Bearclaw
09-01-10, 06:39 PM
They have no dedicated servers, yet they still charge a fee...

Makes no ****ing sense whatsoever. The content they do have is not worth $5/mo.

This. It's. It's a ****ty service.

Lyme
09-04-10, 06:00 PM
*meh* thread has no content.

|MaguS|
09-05-10, 07:40 AM
*meh* thread has no content.

LOL Can't say nothing to defend them when you know they are in the wrong, eh?

K007
09-05-10, 07:50 AM
what ads?

Lyme
09-05-10, 01:37 PM
LOL Can't say nothing to defend them when you know they are in the wrong, eh?

I simply don't see it as a big deal, and nothing that I've read so far gives it justification for being so.

I'd mention the new PS3 premium paid service, which many think should have been offered for free, but I rarely use PSN so what do I care.

Heck the price for the bus around here goes up every few years, and that costs me more than $10 and they have always had advertisements!

Maybe those who think $10 is such a huge deal, should consider getting a job or going back to school and retraining for a better job.

Bets are that my property taxes are going to go up again this year..and services never increase.

|MaguS|
09-05-10, 01:56 PM
what ads?
http://advertising.microsoft.com/gaming/xbox-live?tab=screens

I simply don't see it as a big deal, and nothing that I've read so far gives it justification for being so.

I'd mention the new PS3 premium paid service, which many think should have been offered for free, but I rarely use PSN so what do I care.

Heck the price for the bus around here goes up every few years, and that costs me more than $10 and they have always had advertisements!

Maybe those who think $10 is such a huge deal, should consider getting a job or going back to school and retraining for a better job.

Bets are that my property taxes are going to go up again this year..and services never increase.

$10 is a big increase when their is no justification for the cost to begin with. Sony atleast is providing a service and benefits with their monthly subscription. You can't say "Oh why should I pay for PSN Plus? I should be getting games for free!"

Gotta love it, this is what I was waiting for. You are the new evilchris. Arguing a cost increase or price is justified because you make soooo much money.

Lyme
09-05-10, 02:10 PM
$10 is a big increase when their is no justification for the cost to begin with. Sony atleast is providing a service and benefits with their monthly subscription. You can't say "Oh why should I pay for PSN Plus? I should be getting games for free!"

Gotta love it, this is what I was waiting for. You are the new evilchris. Arguing a cost increase or price is justified because you make soooo much money.

I don't make that much money at all, but.

Sure, I concede that between five years ago and now nothing perceivably new has been added to gold membership. Which makes your position more compelling in that they are not justified in increasing the price by any amount, even $0.01.

However we do know that there have been changes/improvements to xbox live over the life of the 360, and regardless of the amount of work/effort/cost incurred the expectation is that these things are done from revenue produced from sales of consoles and games. MS simply in this case is pushing the costs for things such as the dashboard update and others onto those who play online. Plus even though the backend services that MS provides for xbl users doesn't include dedicated servers, they do provide storage for download games, etc.. and while these infrastructure costs do tend to go down, the costs of wages tend to go up faster.

All things being the same, I'll stand by my statement that the analysis and justification in this thread for deciding that the cost increase is unjustified is thin and flimsy at best.

For reference "because I said so" is never justification for anything.

ViN86
09-05-10, 02:16 PM
Then why is PSN still free? Only the premium service costs more, and there you can see where the extra money goes.

Lyme
09-05-10, 03:37 PM
Then why is PSN still free? Only the premium service costs more, and there you can see where the extra money goes.

Why does the ps3 cost so much more for virtually the same hardware?

The questions are easy, the answers are always complicated. There exists the possibility that psn is free because Sony bundles the cost into new console sales. There also exists the possibility that Sony charges game developers for bandwidth of downloads (Developers have admitted this). There also comes the question of given the updates that Sony has provided, was the cost incurred similar to what MS has?

crainger
09-05-10, 03:54 PM
what ads?

We don't get ads here due to AU laws, we'll only see a few from partners such as iiNet who provide Live as Freezone. iiNet in turn pay for my Gold subscription

MS are crazy, not only is PSN free, even when you take PSN Plus (which is cheaper) you get so much more, free themes, free DLC, free games (Good games too like Sam and Max Season 3) and if they aren't free they are heavily discounted. (Maybes free isn't the right word as you paid for Plus to begin with ::bleh::

NaitoSan
09-05-10, 05:30 PM
You don't actually own "free stuff" from PSN Plus because when you decide to opt out from PLUS membership those "free games" will be locked. That's a deal breaker for me. For other things, I find XBOX Live and PSN Plus pretty much equal but both do have pros and cons.

IMO XBOX Live > PSN PLUS for me because I have many friends on Live than PSN. Ads' NOT that bad, it's barely noticeable to say it's annoying. I don't see what's a huge fuss about it. I mean, you pay for TV cable and you still get commercials. I would complain if ads on Live get in your face or aggravates gaming experience. There's a lot of great exclusives for Live that I like than PSN has. I never had some bad experiences with multiplayer so I don't see how much difference dedicated servers' will make, to be honest. XBOX Live has weekly "Deal of the Week" on many DLCs, Xbox Games, etc. So yeah I don't see anything that makes me want to subscribe PSN Plus unless I play with PS3 often. I never pay more than $40 for Gold, I usually find good deal from Amazon, Walmart or so. So this price raise doesn't really bother me much.

It's matter of people's preferences and I don't see nothing wrong with that.

Ninja Prime
09-05-10, 07:38 PM
Before you guys got all fanboy about how PSN is so great, you probably should have read the text that preceeded the comic...:

PSN is not an acceptable substitute for Xbox Live, though it's often said to be, because in order to appear reasonable it is sometimes necessary to say things which are untrue. The only way to say something like that with a straight face is if you don't have experience with both, or if you don't play a lot of online games with friends. Even ancillary things like how it updates games (or the box itself) aren't up to par. I've had that fantasy before, believe me, the one where I shift my allegiance: Bluetooth headset slung firmly over the ear, I would set out to found a virtuous kingdom. But then I couldn't chat with whoever I wanted, when I wanted to chat with them. I couldn't form a game independent group to plan the evening's adventures, retain communications, or simply to mute every other person on the service. Invites don't manifest themselves in any kind of consistent form. These aren't little things - they're baseline functionality. It would be great if Sony offered a product this absolute, but they have chosen not to do so.

;)

crainger
09-06-10, 05:09 AM
You don't actually own "free stuff" from PSN Plus because when you decide to opt out from PLUS membership those "free games" will be locked. That's a deal breaker for me. For other things, I find XBOX Live and PSN Plus pretty much equal but both do have pros and cons.

IMO XBOX Live > PSN PLUS for me because I have many friends on Live than PSN. Ads' NOT that bad, it's barely noticeable to say it's annoying. I don't see what's a huge fuss about it. I mean, you pay for TV cable and you still get commercials. I would complain if ads on Live get in your face or aggravates gaming experience. There's a lot of great exclusives for Live that I like than PSN has. I never had some bad experiences with multiplayer so I don't see how much difference dedicated servers' will make, to be honest. XBOX Live has weekly "Deal of the Week" on many DLCs, Xbox Games, etc. So yeah I don't see anything that makes me want to subscribe PSN Plus unless I play with PS3 often. I never pay more than $40 for Gold, I usually find good deal from Amazon, Walmart or so. So this price raise doesn't really bother me much.

It's matter of people's preferences and I don't see nothing wrong with that.

You own most games and all DLC and Themes, only a few games go with the membership, besides it still better than no free extras. As for friends on Live, well that's only for you. Most nvnewsers and my buddies are on PSN, so PSN wins for me.

I pay $0 for Gold and 60AUD for Plus. I still prefer PSN.

Bman212121
09-14-10, 04:34 PM
I don't make that much money at all, but.

Sure, I concede that between five years ago and now nothing perceivably new has been added to gold membership. Which makes your position more compelling in that they are not justified in increasing the price by any amount, even $0.01.

However we do know that there have been changes/improvements to xbox live over the life of the 360, and regardless of the amount of work/effort/cost incurred the expectation is that these things are done from revenue produced from sales of consoles and games. MS simply in this case is pushing the costs for things such as the dashboard update and others onto those who play online. Plus even though the backend services that MS provides for xbl users doesn't include dedicated servers, they do provide storage for download games, etc.. and while these infrastructure costs do tend to go down, the costs of wages tend to go up faster.

All things being the same, I'll stand by my statement that the analysis and justification in this thread for deciding that the cost increase is unjustified is thin and flimsy at best.

For reference "because I said so" is never justification for anything.

I'd definitely have to agree with you on this point. It's hard to say what type of back end costs they have for their services. Sony might not have to charge the consumer more because they have could have higher license fees. No matter how you look at it there is going to be cost involved in providing the service, so somewhere along the line the consumers will pick up that cost. Could be from accessories, higher priced downloads, etc.

If you look at many other things (food, gas, cost of living, etc) in the last five years the cost has gone up much more than that, so it could just reflect the change in the economy.